Quote Originally Posted by TCLouis View Post
    This should get one to the start and videos are under "Images"

http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...sociation.com/

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Update on my new to me S&W Model 27. I ordered a Wilson combat spring kit and installed it after doing a balance and blue print on the gun. This is when every part that touches another part is polished so as to lessen the friction and smooth the action. There is no trigger travel or creep. The trigger is crisp. The gun is smooth as silk when cocking. The trigger pull went from 3 lb. 14 oz. to 2 lb.5 oz. I will be shooting it at lawnsteel this Sunday. I let y’all know how it went.
    I love this game.
    See you at the range
    Pee Wee
    Last edited by Pee Wee; 07-14-2019 at 05:49 PM.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Update: my Smith & Wesson Model 27 pistol performed magnificent. I couldn’t be happier. I also did the same thing to Nancys model 27 and she was also very pleased with it. The action is so smooth and the trigger pull is as smooth as silk.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

In Remembrance

PeeWee is doing well with his new revolver. The new Wilson kit seems to have made a difference.

I had a great day, up about 40 "LETS" for the day.

I asked PeeWee if he remembers when he was the *** (new guy), and he said, "Oh Yeah! Like 5 years ago". He's come quite a way since then. This is the guy who didn't want to reload, or cast. He just wanted to shoot self defense pistol. We've created a monster.

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Oh yea, this is the most fun you can have shooting a gun. Great sport and great friends.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

In Remembrance

My mailman is a good buddy, and a shooter. I've invited him to shoot lawn steel with us on the 30th. I'll supply him with use of a chair, a gun and ammo tuned for the gun. He's on his own with the "LETS". Gunarea (Roy) always has them for sale, 3 for a dollar (a roll of nickels at the bank is only $2 for 40).

I mentioned it to Roy Tuesday, and he said something about a "nickel fountain".... We'll see.

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

In Remembrance

Well, my mailman turns out to be a pretty good shooter. He sat out the first game to really observe a game in progress. Then, he started wanting to not shoot. I think he was intimidated by the good shooters on the line. After some urging, and giving him a starter roll of nickels, he agreed to shoot, claiming that his poor eyesight would be a hindrance. By the time it was his first shot, he had already earned three nickels from other shooters' fouls. I sat behind him and coached him. Took him a while, but he eventually shot down two called lollipops, and was in the game. He even earned an animal shot, which, unfortunately, he missed. However, during the entire game, he only caused one foul, and was only down about 5 nickels from where he started. So, poor eyesight aside, he did really well for the first time out. He tried to give me back the nickels I had given to him for starters. Nope! I told him that was his incentive to come back and shoot with us again. He did much better than 90% of the brand new shooters ever do.
    His schedule at the Post Office rotates, so it might be a while before he gets to come and shoot again. Hopefully, he gets an eye exam, and new glasses prior to that return visit.

I invite anyone that is in the area, whether you live here, or are in town on vacation, to come and shoot with us. It's a great time, and doesn't cost much to play.

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master
    Been casting the Lee RNFP 158 grain boolit pc’d out of 6” Bbl Thompson Contender @ 3 gr BE sitting in Zero gravity chair. Between knees , At just around 820 fps. Getting better at 50 yds. Hitting spray bomb paint cans, not every time but about 5/10 maybe. Getting real consistent with ignition, no squibs, very light recoil. Takes a lot of practice tho.

Hey Hossfly

It seems you might be ready, for some full contact, Lawnsteel. Read the rules again. Not sure, without first hand observation, about your technique. Here are a few little nudges in helping you be competitive.

Breath. Holding your breath will not improve accuracy. Normal breathing will maintain consistent blood pressure, especially important for the vessels in your eyes. Squeezing the trigger is best done during exhale.

The weight of the handgun should not be supported by the trigger hand. Not holding the weight will allow for a very relaxed grip. You know the recoil is very mild and will not jerk the handgun from its resting position, so relax the trigger hand.

Don't beat your self up seeking pinpoint accuracy. Batting 500 in MLB is astounding! Lollipops are the smallest targets at seven and a half inches in diameter. When you get to play "Bare knuckles" Lawnsteel, marginal shots will result in bonus targets down much more often than planned carney attempts. In small caliber, the up and down placement is more critical than the back and forth on most of the targets.

Remember to raise the barrel and get all that propellant resting close to the flash hole. Just to satisfy yourself, check velocities with powder forward. Tell us what your findings are. Lawnsteel "bulleteers" are always hungry for information.

The rig you describe should do very nicely. Several of our members use that particular projectile and propellant combination. While the venerable 38 is the cartridge employed most, it is also the most demanding. Knocking down targets with a 38 requires much more precise placement. A 44 or 45 slug has the weight to overcome poor placement. Remember, 45 yds is the closest target you will encounter. Of the three Lawnsteel ranges down here, 52 yds is our standard closest target. Chickens at 72 yds can be challenging.

Put on your very thickest of skin. Imagine sitting on a "hot" Lawnsteel line, it's your turn. You correctly announce the condition of your game "I'm in the game, I have an animal shot, I will engage pig number three". Keith, Paul and Roy all chime "I see it". You cock the handgun, rest it and acquire sights on Pig 3. Concentrate, focus, be the bullet. Then, Paul leans slightly towards you and asks if last nights baked bean casserole came through in that little breeze.

Now you just have to make the trek. I would be proud to shoot Lawnsteel with you. You find the time, I can arrange some stuff to more than just satisfy your curiosity. Now, go read the rules again and keep practicing.
    Roy
    Shoot often, Shoot well.

Boolit Master
    My 44 Bbl is too long at 14’’. So I’m not casting for that yet, in fact I don’t have a mold for it yet but may get one this winter. Also will be looking for a correct Bbl length for the old Contender.
    The 38’s cases are all sorted Winchester which is mostly what I have. My range is not electrified right now because my gen. Gas tank is leaking, and Louisiana heat and Mosquiters too severe and limits my range time to just a few hours early in the am. Watching the vids your guys are top notch, but I ain’t intimidated very much.

The Lyman 429 215 is what most of us cast with for our 44s. You are headed down the right track with what you are doing so far. If you need any guidance just ask here and we will answer any questions you have. Hopefully you can make it down here and shoot with us.
    I love this game.
    Keith
    Last edited by Pee Wee; 09-12-2019 at 12:31 AM.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Hossfly.
    I forgot to mention I also load 38 federal cases for my Thompson and my Ruger Blackhawk. However I load 357 mag. For my Smith and Wesson 27. Doing all the load development for it the 357s gave me the FPS that I was looking for with a 4 deviation and the accuracy I wanted. I am using 3.4 grains of Bullseye.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master
    Pee Wee
    I’ve loaded about 1/4 of the 4K Winchester cases @ 3.0 gr BE , have shot about 3-400 testing for speed and accuracy, and getting better. It’s been very hot here in La. cool and plenty of rain till Aug. when rain stopped and sun started to bake us. Next cool down will start going back for more practice. This is a little different than blasting, takes more thought, picking up and shaking to get that powder back by primer do make a difference. One day will get down there to get some nickels or loose some LOL.

Looking forward to it. Just bring lots of nickels.��
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

In Remembrance

I'm hoping that this coming Tuesday morning, the air temp might be comfortable enough that I could show up and try shooting a couple of games. Haven't even been able, because of the cancer/chemo, to be at the gun club for over a month during the heat of the brutal summer months.

Once I get back at it, I will be selling off some inventory( a fellow is already committed to buying my Ruger GP100 in amazng great shape (Pee Wee worked the trigger,and it has hammer and trigger shims, very smooth and tight. And, I'll be selling some scrap brass to also fund a S&W Model 27 in 8 3/8- 8 1/2 length.

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

In Remembrance

Have my S&W Model 27 in hand. The darn "Love Bugs" have been horrible here in this part of Florida. I'll be on the shooting line when the bugs die off. Nothing seems to dissuade them.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lovebugs-625x352.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	26.6 KB 
ID:	249092

LINK

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

A ILSA update. We got some good news. On Wednesday of last week Volusia County Gun And Hunt club was sold. The club was bought by a world ranked shooter and a partner who is a competitive shooter and retired detective. They have big plans for the club. They bought the 25 acres that the club is on that was being leased and another 125 acres. What this means for us in ILSA is that they are going to build us two separate shooting bays next to each other. This will give us a more control for separate shooting lines. Less noise and being able to hear your line better. Also they are adding more shooting bays and adding a 1000 yard rifle range. We have a 300 yard range now. They well be adding a store and other amities. I will post as they institute the changes.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master

That is awesome congrats to all of you
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Update on our range. The changes have started. We now have an air conditioned trailer for sign in and a store selling shooting supplies and drinks and snacks. They have started fixing the road and fixing some of the bays that get flooded. The new owners and Roy the founder and father of lawnsteel met last week so he could give them the info on lawnsteel. More updates coming as they get implemented.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Page 14 of 33 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast