Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline Fabrication
Page 10 of 33 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: International Lawn Steel shooting

Well, my last post may stand corrected. Lawnsteel is officially coast to coast with a private facility in Washington state playing the game. Not sure what they are using for ammunition but Rdbronco tells me they are shooting 45s and 44s on their maximum plate thickness targets. Would love to see some pictures of targets and sets. I will be curious to see how long they can keep the player attendance at or under game limits. Evidently they are enjoying Lawnsteel since the statement was, "the most fun you can have with your pants on". They love this game!
    Side note; Hey Rdbronco shoot me a pm with a working e-mail address.
    Roy
    Shoot often, Shoot well.

Boolit Master

Where in Washington? I have a buddy out that way who would love to try this out.

Boolit Master

You know this looks like it would be a blast I may just have to start looking for a 10" Contender barrel now I wish i would have kept the one i sold
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Update:
    Since it’s been a while since anyone has posted, here is what has been going on. We now have anywhere from 6 to 10 people coming to shoot now. We now have two sets of targets and have been shooting two lines when we have more people. The weather has been bad for us as far as the range goes. The bay that we use to shoot in has been flooded for the last three weeks due to all the rain we have been getting. Fortunately one of the members (Eddie) has a lawn steel range at his house, so we have been shooting there. There has been eight to nine of us going to Eddies so we rotate between us then. We normally shoot four games so everyone gets to shoot ar least three games. If you want to have the most fun you can have shooting you should try this game. Go back and find the videos and check it out or if you are close to Volusia County gun club come and join us, we will let you use everything you need to shoot just bring a couple dollars worth of nickels. Hope to see you at the range
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Lastest update——— we know have 12 people shooting. We know have a lady shooter. She has been shooting with us for a couple of months know and she shot her best games this past Sunday. We are now able to shoot back out our club as the flooding from the rains is now over. Therefore we have been setting up the two sets of targets. She is also now reloading her own ammunition. What a great sport, I love this game.
    See you at the range.
    Pee Wee
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Banned

Always good to see an update in this thread. Wish I could participate.
    Thank you for the update.

Well if you ever get down to the central Florida area get in touch with me and be my guest and come shoot with us, guarantee you will have the most fun you ever had shooting.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master

Now this is the ONLY sort of competitive shooting that I could/would enjoy shooting.
    Based on fun and yet there is still competition involved.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

The competition is one of the aspects of the game. The banter is primo and I have made new friends and we have social gatherings and get togathers. Several of us also shoot rifles to gather every Thursday and have lunch together. We also fish together. Good thing I am retired, we stay busy all the time, we also mine lead together at our range and get togather at one of the members house that has a huge work shop to process the lead, make lube and shoot there also. Life is great. Live it.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

You got it Keith, "The competition is one of the aspects of the game." Many of those whom have not observed the game being played, replied that it seemed too challenging. Often it seems, Lawnsteel target distances intimidate. When the game is watched, there is no hiding the fact that players are having fun. Lawnsteel has no pretense, it is a game. Laughing and joking are part of playing a game. No weapons! (I looked it up in my Funk&Wagnalls). Game equipment!

There is now another woman playing Lawnsteel. Lately she has become a competent shooter. The skill acquired can be directly attributed to playing Lawnsteel. Maybe with some prodding, she may join here and educate some of the ego mongers.

I love playing this game!

Roy
    Shoot often, Shoot well.

In Remembrance

Our woman shooter hss certainly benefited from a LOT of coaching. She took my reloading class, and has been making wonderful cartridges. She's resisting the call of casting, preferring to procure her castings from one of the regulars. She transitioned from a Ruger 3 screw that she hated (never did shoot it well), and got herself a truly wonderful Smith & Wesson 27-2 with 8 3/8 barrel. Loads 38 specials for it. After a trigger job, she's been shooting amazingly well, and winning a lot of nickels.
    She also has a sweet Contender in 357 Mag (shoots 38 specials in it), but she's so darned happy with the S&W that she might never shoot the Contender again.

My own game has been going well. I am wayyyyyy up on nickels. Big change from fours years ago when weekly trips to the bank for rolls of nickels was the norm.

I heard from Michael J. Spangler, who's from the southest Mass area, inquiring about target design, etc. I suggest that Michael call gunarea (Roy Kramer). I gave Michael Roy's number. He and his brother, Bob, are the originators of the game, and the source of all knowledge for Lawn Steel. Most of the target info is in the official rules, located on the web site as a pdf file. Other details are elsewhere in this thread. However, some details, such as the design of the bases of the targets, thickness and type of steel, etc, can be gleaned from discussions with Roy.

Once others see the game in action, it becomes truly addictive. As Roy and others have pointed out, the true nature of the game is that all ammo is hand loaded, and uses custom cast boolits. The rather slow velocity of the boolits also requires careful choices for powder (most of us are using Bullseye or Promo powder. MY choice is Promo (Red Dot, without the red dots. It's pretty inexpensive powder) for the 38's I shoot. And, for the 44 mags, I load Trail Boss for the light recoil. Ditto on the 45 Colts I shoot. I bring three Contenders (38 special, 44 mag, and 45 Colt) and two revolvers (38 special and 44 mag) to every game. Im ready for whatever the line judge calls for the game. NOTE: 38 special can ALWAYS be used, even if the line judge calls for "big caliber". It just puts you at a slight disadvantage when it comes to knocking down the big targets. One of our shooters only owns one Lawn Steel gun, a 357 revolver what he shoots 38 specials in.
    So, if anyone is in the Daytona area, we shoot on Tuesday mornings at the Volusia County Gun and Hunt Club on Rt 44 (runs between I4 and I95) . I'll gladly loan you a gun tuned for the game, ammo that is darn near perfect, and my seat on the line. Just bring a roll of nickels, and be ready for a good time. It's not my fault (disclaimer) if you instantly get addicted, and start saying things like, "I love this game!!"

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Nancy is shooting very well with her Smith and Wesson. She is also reloading now. Still in the learning curve but coming along nicely. She is begining to make those fuzzy but shoots. ( if you don’t know what this is, just ask and I will explain) and starting to get animal shots. She is still fouling a little and is still a nickel fountain. She is not casting yet and buys her cast Bullets from me.
    I love this game.
    See you at the range.
    Last edited by Pee Wee; 11-17-2018 at 08:49 PM.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

In Remembrance

Yup, Nancy made a good decision trading in her Ruger 3 screw for the Smith. She says she likes is a lot, fits her hand better.
    I'll be returning to the range tomorrow AM, after my long drive up to New England to be with my kids for Thanksgiving.
    All are invited to join us for a game of Lawn Steel.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

We now have another new member. He came to watch and we sat him down to shoot and has been bitten by the bug. He has bought a ruger Blackhawk 38/357 and out looking for a lawnchair. He is also going to start to reload. Another one bits the dust. I love this game.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

I could actually get into this. Never heard of it before 15 minutes ago. What do retired shooters [who don’t want to run, lay on the ground or lug a pickup full of gear to a match] do besides drink iced tea while resting in their lawn chairs? Of course, knock down steel targets with slooow moving bullets. Do you guys even wear hearing protection? Any of this going on in North Carolina?

Hey Ed
    There was a small, sort of Lawnsteel range, near Bryson. Unfortunately for you, that fellow has decided to permanently reside in central Florida. His N.C. place is up for sale and the range has become abandoned. Fortunately for us, he has a full sized Lawnsteel shooting bay here in Fl.. The local Lawnsteel shooters shot at his place yesterday. The club where we would normally shoot Lawnsteel is still flooded. But!!, when you come to Florida(everyone comes to Florida) take the time to come and play some Lawnsteel. Just like any highly addictive substance, we the pushers will give you the first taste for no charge. Really, someone or many, will offer their own personal firearm and custom tuned ammunition for your enjoyment. We keep extra, everything, just to accommodate our lust for new nickels. The ILSA member will loan you a thousand dollar handgun and custom ammo, but don't expect a single five cent token being given. Heck, I'll even loan you my lucky ear plugs, just wipe off the excess smudge. It is extremely rare that someone would have a firearm and ammo properly set up for successful Lawnsteel play. C'mon down and experience how "Really good shots" get turned into "Really good shots". Go to the beginning of this thread, it is a good read.
    Hope to see you here.

Roy
    Shoot often, Shoot well.

Boolit Master

Some new video would be nice to see on Utube
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Quote Originally Posted by Baltimoreed View Post
    I could actually get into this. Never heard of it before 15 minutes ago. What do retired shooters [who don’t want to run, lay on the ground or lug a pickup full of gear to a match] do besides drink iced tea while resting in their lawn chairs? Of course, knock down steel targets with slooow moving bullets. Do you guys even wear hearing protection? Any of this going on in North Carolina?

We do indulge in the sprites but after we shoot. Even some home sprites. We do wear ear protection. This the most fun you can have with a loaded weapon. I can’t wait for Tuesday to roll around. We also shoot on the last Sunday of the month.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Quote Originally Posted by TCLouis View Post
    Some new video would be nice to see on Utube

There are some videos in this thread. Don’t remember what page it’s on but just start at the beginning and work your way thru.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Quick update. We are now shooting two lines. We are getting 9 to twelve people shooting with us on Tuesday and the Sunday’s that we shoot. We have three new people just starting with us. Nancy is no longer the ***. ( new guy)
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Page 10 of 33 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast