MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading Everything
Page 13 of 33 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: International Lawn Steel shooting

Boolit Master
    I have the original TC with 3 Bbl s, .22,357 with shot shell choke that you unscrew to shoot solid, and .44 mag X 14’’. Think I will try the .357 barrel and see how it shoots through the chrono with my cast boolits and powder. From what I saw on the vids you guys have honed your shooting to a fine art. Thanks for the videos and the info, rules etc. excellent.

In Remembrance

The max length allowed by the rules of ILSA is a 10" barrel.
    Also, it has been found, through thorough testing that the barrels with the chokes do not perfrom well enough, and are to be avoided. When I was looking for my 44 mag Contender barrel, I passed on almost a dozen of them that had the "snake" choke.
    So, anything with 14" barrel is not allowed in the game.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

In Remembrance

Here are the Lawn Steel Rules, just to make it easy for all to get to:

Lawn Steel Rules

PS, I tried to get a clean copy from Gunarea (Roy), but the software that he used to create it makes an unusual file that cannot be imported into any other software.
    I'm gonna ask him to create a NEW copy using like MS Word or something exportable.
    Last edited by DukeInFlorida; 06-28-2019 at 09:30 AM.

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeInFlorida View Post
    The max length allowed by the rules of ILSA is a 10" barrel.
    Also, it has been found, through thorough testing that the barrels with the chokes do not perfrom well enough, and are to be avoided. When I was looking for my 44 mag Contender barrel, I passed on almost a dozen of them that had the "snake" choke.
    So, anything with 14" barrel is not allowed in the game.
    I didn’t know the choke would affect accuracy if the choke was removed. I know it will if you shoot with choke on because is restricts the boolit when it leaves the barrel, don’t ask how I know this. It may have something to do with the harmonics of the barrel, with the front adapter bring silver soldered to muzzle. Anyway I’ve got the 357 barrel reinstalled and will do some testing and see how it does at the lower velocity.

Let us know the results please
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

In Remembrance

I've passed on a BUNCH of barrels, primarily 44 mags with that choke system. They were pretty cheap barrels. Just better having a non-choked barrel. Yeah, let us know.

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Quote Originally Posted by dukeinflorida View Post
    number 2 of 9

comments:
    1. all shots are called shots
    2. the basic rules of the game are that you have to knock down two lollipops to "get in the game"
    3. hitting the target doesn't count. You must knock over all targets to get credit for them.
    4. once you have two lollipops knocked down, you are "in the game"
    5. the next target to call is one of the "arbitraries"
    6. those consist of: Rectangular tombstone looking targets called, "quits" there are 18 of those, and....
    7. arbitraries are also four "card suits", hearts, diamonds, clubs, and spades. There are four of each of those.
    8. once you call, and knock down an arbitrary, that earns you an "animal shot."
    9. there are rams (the largest) - 2 of those, pigs - 4 of those, turkeys- 4 of those, geese- 3 of those, chickens - 4 of those, and finally "mickey mouse, and "joe corpsman",
    10. if you knock down an earned and called animal shot, everyone pays you a nickel. Missing doesn't cost you anything, per se. However, if you call an animal shot, and miss that, you have to re-earn the animal shot by shooting another called arbitrary.
    11. if, however, you call a shot, miss, and in the course of doing so, you accidentally knock down something else, that is a "foul" and you have to pay everyone a nickel.
    12. sometimes more than one arbitrary or animal falls. As long as the original target to fall was the called shot, you get credit for the additioinal knocked down targets.
    NO.6 section actually there are only 12
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

In Remembrance

I fixed the number, buddy. I haven't yet seen those images that you were going to send to me for posting.

Also, Roy advised that I had a video missing, that one of the ones originally posted was a dupe.
    I have also corrected that. There are now the proper 8 videos, presented in order.
    I'll be adding links to the ILSA web site for those videos also.

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

In Remembrance

A NEW Edition of the Rules is being finalized. A clearer copy will result. Thanks to Camper64 for his part is making this happen.
    I'll update this post as soon as that is finalized.

New rules have been uploaded to the ILSA web site.
    Last edited by DukeInFlorida; 07-05-2019 at 11:08 AM.

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

We had ten shooters today. So we had two lines running. 3 of the guys had Doctor appointments and couldn’t make it. My new (0ld, 1975) Smith & Wesson model 27 is shooting really good. I am so pleased with this pistol. Nancy has gotten her 27 dialed in and starting to shoot well. She is starting to make some fuzzy butt shots. It was 100 degrees out there today but with the generator on powering two large fans and shooting from under the structure it wasn’t to bad. However when done and picking up the targets and loading onto the trailers it got a little hot. However some of us go and have a few cold ones and relax and have a little fellowship talking.
    Can’t wait for next Tuesday. You just can’t imagine how much fun this is. I love this game.
    See you at the range
    Pee Wee
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master
    What a great day y'all had, Pee Wee.

In Remembrance

With my health currently what it is, I could only handle three of the four games. One with my 38 Contender, and two with my 44 mag Contender. There's no power at the club, so we have a generator running, with two large fans (one at each end of the lines), and it was still too much for my system to handle. I came home (to the amazing air conditioning) with extra nickels, so it was a good day.

If we could shoot twice a week, it would be better.... LOL... what? Me addicted? Not sure if I enjoy the shooting more than the reloading, or the casting more than the shooting.

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

In Remembrance

OK, the ILSA web site has been updated. The new rules are there, as well as archive copies of the 8 videos.
    Follow the link in my tagline to get there.

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

OK, the ILSA web site has been updated. The new rules are there, as well as archive copies of the 8 videos.
    Follow the link in my tagline to get there.
    Nice job Duke ��
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master
    I loaded some 150 gr. Pc boolits today with 3.3 gr Bullseye and went thru chrono at 900 fps. Too fast from reading rules. Backed off to 3.1 and will test in the morning. This is with the Thompson contender with the snake choke and the choke off lol.

Your getting close, I use 3.0 Bullseye that runs at 820 for me. That’s with a 158 grain cast sized and lubed bullet.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

In Remembrance

There are TWO details that you want to test for:
    1) That the velocity is within legal limits, easy enough to adjust for
    2) That the accuracy (5-10 shot group) is tight enough, at the required velocity, to compete. That's where all attempts to use the choked snake guns has failed.

And, because of the low velocities, powder coated commercial bullets won't work well. Drawing your attention to PeeWee's earlier reference (several pages of posts ago) to Glenn Fryxells book, from Ingot to Target (available free here at Cast Boolits, check the Stickies Area), the low pressures don't allow the back end of the castings to obturate properly. Typically, commercial cast are much too hard an alloy for this game. We purposefully blend lead alloys to get the proper amount of lead softness for the bullet to work well in the barrels. About BHN 6 is pretty good for the game. Normal pistol bullets might be 11 or 12, or even 13. That's way too hard for this game. Take a peak at Glenn's book. Lots of great handgunner info in there.

To properly put it in some perspective, we custom cast, custom size/lube, and custom load the ammo for these highly tuned guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Hossfly View Post
    I loaded some 150 gr. Pc boolits today with 3.3 gr Bullseye and went thru chrono at 900 fps. Too fast from reading rules. Backed off to 3.1 and will test in the morning. This is with the Thompson contender with the snake choke and the choke off lol.

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

There are TWO details that you want to test for:
    1) That the velocity is within legal limits, easy enough to adjust for
    2) That the accuracy (5-10 shot group) is tight enough, at the required velocity, to compete. That's where all attempts to use the choked snake guns has

And, because of the low velocities, powder coated commercial bullets won't work well. Drawing your attention to PeeWee's earlier reference (several pages of posts ago) to Glenn Fryxells book, from Ingot to Target (available free here at Cast Boolits, check the Stickies Area), the low pressures don't allow the back end of the castings to obturate properly. Typically, commercial cast are much too hard an alloy for this game. We purposefully blend lead alloys to get the proper amount of lead softness for the bullet to work well in the barrels. About BHN 6 is pretty good for the game. Normal pistol bullets might be 11 or 12, or even 13. That's way too hard for this game. Take a peak at Glenn's book. Lots of great handgunner info in there.

To properly put it in some perspective, we custom cast, custom size/lube, and custom load the ammo for these highly tuned guns.
    That BHN is on a saeco (sp?) on an LBT and true BHN testers you are looking for 10 to 12 BHN
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master
    Shot this am with 3.0 BE. and speed down between 800-850. Eating out ragged hole at 20’. I do pour my own boolits and have plenty COWW and SOWW to play with. Have always water dropped, not intending to harden alloy but so I could handle quicker. May try just air cooling, PC-ing, and not sizing cause there as dropped .358 and seem to obdurate very well. My barrel slugs at .3565 so fit is good. Have got speed down and now will be shooting further out to fine tune sights and get used to mortaring these to 200’. May have to wear my glasses for this project.LOL.

Going in right direction. Keep us posted.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Page 13 of 33 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast