Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Spray on Alox--maybe

Boolit Man

Spray on Alox--maybe

I just started working for a golf car company. I'm new to electrical systems especially higher voltage DC setups. Well while servicing a car I picked up a can of Club Car brand battery terminal protectant. What greeted my nostrils was the pleasant(to some) smell of Lee's liquid alox. This stuff dries very quickly. Within 30 minutes or so it's like LLA thats been left out over night and gets a little less tacky over time. I'm not sure how much it costs but I can't wait to try some out. seems like you could stand your boolits up and give 'em a good hose down and load that day.

If anyone is interested I will try ot get a part number off the can and a cost.

B

Banned
    "If anyone is interested I will try ot get a part number off the can and a cost."
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

yes, please

Been playing with an airgun and some exotic wax, and solvent combo's,

Nothing significant, or perfected yet, but will post if and when I figure it out...

Michael

Boolit Master At Heavens Range 2007 cherok9878's Avatar
    Bman, what are the contents names and %.

Oh yes, where can I get a can to try?

Boolit Man
    To find out what all is in there I will need to locate a MSDS on the stuff. The can was much less than informative. But then I was working and did not really have much time to really check it out. When I get to work on Monday I will check into it more and post early in the week.

B

Boolit Master

You could be onto something; the original use for ALOX was a rust preventative for ferrious metals so I can see it could also be used to prevent corrosion on terminals. Might be interesting!

Banned
    The navy at one point actually "mop painted" alox onto ships to prevent rust from the salty waters of our oceans...Could be close to the product described. I am looking for a quicker dry time and so far am am Verry INTERESTED...

Banned

Are you talking about Fluid Film?

Cause it smells like Alox, and has the same type and colored coating. Used for corrosion protection on marine components and battery terminals. Very well could be alcohol, lanolin and alox.

http://www.nlsproducts.ca/ff_e.html

I used the WestMarine label brand, which is the same stuff. Looks and smells and coats exactly like alox and I never thought about it. In fact it's exactly like liquid Alox.

Last edited by PatMarlin; 07-24-2006 at 12:49 AM.

Boolit Master
    Sounds like the "Zbart spelling?) that used to be sprayed on the underside of cars as a rust proofing. Come to think on it, it did somewhat smell like alox. Frank

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by PatMarlin
    Are you talking about Fluid Film?

Cause it smells like Alox, and has the same type and colored coating. Used for corrosion protection on marine components and battery terminals. Very well could be alcohol, lanolin and alox.

http://www.nlsproducts.ca/ff_e.html

I used the WestMarine label brand, which is the same stuff. Looks and smells and coats exactly like alox and I never thought about it. In fact it's exactly like liquid Alox.

From the website "Food Grade Approved" - this is Alox?? If so, I never even imagined it.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy
    Try Marine grade CRC corrosion inhibitor. It dries like a heavy hard coat of Alox 350. I have used it, but not gotten around to shooting it. It does not stay as tacky as liquid Alox, bit has the same smell. Greg

Boolit Man
    Ok here is what the can reads. Complies with MIL-C-16173D and MIL-C-83933A

Contains: Oxygenated Hydrocarbon Blend (NA), Isoparaffinic Hydrocarbon (64741-66-8), and LP gas

The can also reads that it dries to a tack free coating in several hours. A second coat can be applied within a few minutes.

I'm gonna have to try the stuff. Sorta like a duck, if it walks, flies, swims and quacks....

The Club Car PN is 1014305

If anyone knows what those Mil specs mean please chime in.

B

Izzit Liquid alox?

Alox is a calcium soap of a petroleum compound and paraffin

It's not JUST wax, the soap component makes it able to mix oils and non-oil componants and it wont seperate out

This stuff below has been adopted as an alox substitute by some on another list

http://tinyurl.com/gogz3

it's cheap, fairly effective but Rooster Red is mo-betta

But I dont like to surface lube my boolets, preferring instead using home made stick lubes without alox (less smoke) like "Aadrian's Goo" or "Saeco Green'

recipes are in archive I suspect, I have posted them several times

yodar

Boolit Master
    Never used spray alox.
    Did have some battery post spray but it left a foamy mess on things.

Fellow visiting brought me a can of Ms Moly he picked up at a NRA convention some yrs back.

It was almost black, very hard coating, sure did like it but, the fume's---ohh man what fumes it had!

Cured in quick time too. Dug some from a berm and could still see the dark color in place's it hadn't been rubbed off.

He claimed it was $13 a can. I've seen it in Midway's books, but, don't recall the details. Fine stuff.

But, spray on Alox would be handy, especially if it dried hard, non tacky, that's my main complaint about Lee's L/A.

Assume there's no brand name on that can, right?? Otherwise you'd posted it, right? Thanks much,

George
    George so I can:

Gun Control is NOT About Guns!
    It's about CONTROL!
    Join the NRA Today

Lm: NRA, NAHC, NAFC, N***/WS

LLA quick dry method

Guys, once you get the bullets good and coated with the Lee liquid alox in the butter bowl or whatever your using. Take a hair dryer to them for a couple minutes then swirl them around in the bowl a little more then hit them again with the hair dryer. It will begin to thicken up and you can be loading them in 10 min or so. Works good for me.

Less than 10 minutes later after being coated, they are being loaded.

[SIGPIC]http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m193/stevensavage/avatars/reloadnPalacescriptresized.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Boolit Man
    The brand name is Club Car Battery Terminal Protectant. We use it to coat the terminals on golf cart batteries after they have been cleaned, usually with that foamy messy stuff. I have not tested this stuff in any way...yet. I do know that it dries pretty quick. I will try to find out what a can costs.

B.

Spray alox would be wonderful! You could make a custom bullet tray where you could put the bullets in nose first with the bases sticking up in the air. Then spray. And if you made the holes in the tray just right, only the bearing surfaces of the bullet would get lubed. And once loaded, there would be no alox on the noses of the bullets to catch pocket lint...

Boolit Master
    Hair dryer?? Ain't that sumthin women use??

No women around here, wonder what else would work.

Good suggestion, thanks for sharing it. What about the fumes from the stuff?

Over night in the shop on a big sheet of cardboard works good for me. Once I've cast a batch, or bucket full, usually lube 'em up soon as sized and store them in a bucket once dried. Put a lid on it and they keep forever, or at least four yrs that I've tried. Do have to cast up a bunch to last that long around here though.
    George so I can:

Gun Control is NOT About Guns!
    It's about CONTROL!
    Join the NRA Today

Lm: NRA, NAHC, NAFC, N***/WS

Quote Originally Posted by georgeld
    What about the fumes from the stuff?

I been smellin the stuff for the last six months and it aint affected, affected, affected me yet

It doesnt seem to smell any worse than the regular method.
    [SIGPIC]http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m193/stevensavage/avatars/reloadnPalacescriptresized.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

Quote Originally Posted by georgeld
    Hair dryer?? Ain't that sumthin women use??

No women around here, wonder what else would work.
    Spread them out in front of a fan. They'll be dry in an hour.