Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 30-06 issue

Boolit Master
    I don't know, but ended up buying the Lee FCD. Now the suckers won't move!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by chris in va View Post
    I don't know, but ended up buying the Lee FCD. Now the suckers won't move!
    Rifle rounds should be held in place by neck tension, except the 30-30 you should roll crimp. I think you are are going about it the wrong way figuring out your problem, that fcd die might be crimping to much and your accuracy will go down the tubes. Just my two cents!

Too each their own, but I sure would not use that Lee crimp die on cast bullets!! Sometimes I use a regular crimp die to turn the expanded case mouth back straight, but nothing more.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master
    Sometimes I use a regular crimp die to turn the expanded case mouth back straight, but nothing more.

I'm with you, Charger !

Ben

Boolit Grand Master

I seldom crimp bottle neck rifle cartridges; the 45-70 (sometimes), the 30-30 in lever actions, the '06 and .308W in gas guns and the 6.5 Swede with 45 2.1s HV loads are the exceptions.

I will use the LFCD if the crimp groove on the cast bullet allows it without damagine the cast bullet. Depends on the bulet design as to whether it does or not. The recent 311041 GB bullet is a good example; very generous crimp groove and the LFCD works fine.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master
    I used to F/C everything I loaded. That was, however, many years ago.
    I quit crimping with an F/C for a coupla' reasons.

First, I can see it's usefulness with jacketeds in applications where it is necessary. But rarely do I have a situation like that. I don't hunt, so I have no need to load a tubular magazine. All my shooting is done from a table and it is my practice to load one at a time.

Second, I screwed my self several years ago with crimping. I had loaded a bunch of .223 and crimped the loads. I chose to pull the loads down to salvage the components. I found that 55 grains is not enough weight to dislodge a bullet from a crimped .223 case. In order to salvage the cases, I had to manually pull the bullets, thus destroying them.

Third, I feel that crimping a boolit might damage it, so, in order to protect the boolit, I seat and let it go at that.

I'm not discounting or faulting crimping. There ARE applications for it. I just choose not to, that's all.

Boolit Master
    An old thread, but anyway.

No issues with the FCD and what I do with my Garand at the 300yd range, which is hitting hand-sized rocks. I wouldn't use it on cast though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12