Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad DataLee Precision
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8x57 to 8mm06

I used milsurp LC54 30-06 brass to reform to 8mm-06 . I also used TW brass and resized and rough trimmed with a arrow shaft cut off tool before trimming to length 8x57 MM Mauser. Neither have caliber designation on them to be confused with 30-06 ammo . For the 375-06AI, I use RP 30-06 brass but that easily stands out and no way would bolt begin to close on a loaded round let alone an empty case

I tend to use what I have ,but at same time keep the boxes they are in well labeled with caliber , load data and what gun they are for . As I like to keep all fired cases matched to the same gun . With the exceptions of handgun or shotgun ammunition.

Boolit Grand Master

A trim die makes it real easy to reform 30-06 based rounds to 8X57, 7X57, 7.65X54, etc.
    The die is not damaged by the fine hacksaw blade used to cut off the brass after reforming. debur, full length in appropriate die, load.
    Not saying reforming can't be done with a full length die, because it can, but it is easier to do a large amount of reforming with the trim die.

Boolit Grand Master

If having 5 rounds in the magizine that feed is desired then put 5 dummy '06 rounds in your rifle and attempt to chamber them. It is not uncommon for some M98s to not feed the first round (the rim jams in the rails becuase it is not realed where it would be with a shorter 8x57 case pushing up under it). If 4 rounds in the mag are ok then feeding is not an issue. This is more common with the M1909s reamed to 7.65x06 becuase there were more of them done. I have run across a couple 8mmx06s that did the same though.

Larry Gibson

Moderator Emeritus/Boolit Master in Heavens Range
    Quote Originally Posted by rtracy2001 View Post
    >Oh, don't know if it matters, but I have tried and I cannot chamber an 8mm-06 into any of my 30-06 rifles (savage, remmington, and a commercial Mauser). The .323 jacketed bullet would not throat in the '06s. Not saying it can't be done, but mine won't.
    You'd be amazed at how easy it is to reseat that .323 bullet when the bolt is operated by a healthy man motivated by the frantic conditions of battle. The rest of the 8x57 case is sometimes crumpled inside the '06 chamber or worse, it can be pushed foward to reduce the diameter of the neck as the 8mm slug is pushed back by impact with the '06 neck. You then have a condition where firing the rifle tries to push a .323 bullet through a neck that is too small for it, even if the case crumples and isn't pushed into the '06 neck.

If you ever try it and manage to close the bolt, you best try firing it from behind a tree, pulling the trigger with a string. Otherwise, it is likely to be the most exciting experience of your life.

I once knew a young man who somehow managed to close the bolt of a 6.5x55 on a 35 Remington round. I still shudder to think of what was about to happen when it was noticed by someone a bit more knowledgable.
    Regards,

Molly

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    I have read that there were some rifles rechambered to 30-06 that had 7mm bores...the writer said they kicked like a mule and were not terribly accurate, but no damage to the rifles.

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Master
    all my 8x57 mausers are going to stay that way ,it's not that the idea of 8mm-06 doesn't appeal to me i find it interesting but i can size 30-06 brass to 8x57 in no time at all and i consider it just another step or should i say part of the great hobby we all call casting and handloading.
    now if i came across a mauser already chambered in 8mm-06 and i liked the asking price i would go for it,
    30-06 to 8mm is easy and call me nuts but it's also fun (and it keeps me out of trouble)'
    geeezzz i have a boring life ,,,, but at least it's my fun ,boring life .
    yall have a good evening '
    adrians.
    i.m just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round..... i really love to watch them roll ,,,, J,W,L.

I think a 8mm -06 AI with 220 - 250 grain jacketed bullets and a case full of appropriate slow powder in a 24" or 26" barrel would kill most anything on this planet very well. With the heaviest cast that would work and the proper slow powder you would still have a killer of large animals.

I am getting my kicks out of .22 Hornet and will prolly leave the 8mm put away for a while.
    Jay
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Boolit Master
    A good friend purposely barreled a Springfield in 8mm-06 when he built the gun. Hell of a shooter.

My .30-06 M98 Mauser has not had the magazine box altered for cartridge length. Factory ammo and reloads (some a scinch longer than factory) feed flawlessly. I was careful to specify the throat cut for a specific cartridge OAL with the Sierra 165HPBT seated out long enough to sweetly feed through the mag (again, a hair longer than factory ammo). It's one of the most accurate .30-06's I've ever owned. (NOS Parker-Hale barrel).

Did I get lucky or have other guys found '06s to work ok in unaltered M98 magazines?

Boolit Mold

8mm-06

to the Guy that wants to reshape 06 brass to 8x57 mauser.
    I dont know where you live at but where I am at 8x57 mauser brass is easy to find and get. where on the other hand 7x57 mauser brass is differant and more costly. when you go to resize and shape 30-06 brass to 8x57 it would be a good
    idea to trip o6 brass first to just about to1/4" from the shoulder for if you dont you will to much brass out of the die. you are still going to have to trimm after the first run through the die to get the final and proper light .
    I have been thinking of rechambering my cz loarge ring mauser to 8mm-06 since I have a K- 98

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

I'd rather have an 8x57 than a 30-06. My Turk 38 8x57 is a 1 to 1.5 MOA shooter. Why would I want to rechamber it to 30-06 and maybe get a 2 to 3 MOA shooter?

Boolit Grand Master

Reading the American Rifle magazines from after WWII apparently if a roundnose bullet is used the 8mm-06 will fit in most of the magazine boxes without alteration. Don't remember if it gave a brand or not.

Boolit Master

Welcome to the board Randy1958.

Boolit Master

As Larry pointed out, when I got my 1909 argy it had been re-reamed to a 30-06 case. Now it wears a 35 whelen bbl.
    Gun control 1ST ROUND ON TARGET.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by leadman View Post
    Reading the American Rifle magazines from after WWII apparently if a roundnose bullet is used the 8mm-06 will fit in most of the magazine boxes without alteration. Don't remember if it gave a brand or not.
    I have read similar claims in reloading manuals. Some say roundnose some say seat extra deep and reduce charge etc. My k98 in 8mm-06 takes 220 gr Gamekings seated to the 06 max OAL without issue. I even swapped the magwell with a known unmodified one from one of my turks and had no issues. It may vary by model methinks.
    My luck is so bad that if I bought a cemetery, people would stop dying.- Rodney Dangerfield

I just bought a 8-06 barrel for cheap.

rough shape, but we will see... I mostly bought it for the practice of rebarreling.

I cannot hurt this one....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12