Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: Marlin 1895 Loading Issue

Boolit Master

Marlin 1895 Loading Issue

My 1894, 44 Mag, loads fine if you work the action with so authority. If you do it slow, the round does not want to clear the magazine tube and it will jam. It jams with the end of the round tilted up. Loosing the lever screw will give it just enough play for it to clear. Is this the Marlin Jam with only one round involved? Don't have the COL with be but the boolit is seated to cover all the grooves. Any ideas?
    Last edited by Pirate69; 05-26-2010 at 06:30 AM. Reason: 1895 to 1894

Boolit Master

Lever guns are made for you to work the lever smartly. A lot of guns will jam even bolt actions if they are worked slow. As long as the gun works if you work the lever in a smooth brisk motion nothing to worry about.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Boolit Master
    I think you may very well have a "Model 1894" that's a 44 MAG .

Marlin has never chambered the "Model 1895" in 44 MAG .

Now you could very well have one of the older Marlin 336-44 rifles that was chambered in 44 MAG . As the 336-44 is in all actuality the same as the 1895 action !
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master

Opps, I went brain-dead when I was typing. It is a 1894.

Boolit Master
    If I read your post correctly, Your shells are not coming out of your mag tube onto the cartridge lifter unless you slam the lever closed. Every marlin I own including 336s, 94s and 95 all let the next round to be fired come out of the magazine when the lever is pulled all the way up. This action feeds and seats one shell in the chamber and releases the next onto the cartridge lifter. This sounds like one of two things are wrong. Either the cartridge holder is dirty, or defective or the lifter is not dropping far enough when the action is operated slowly. I personally would take it to a gunsmith the have it checked out.

Check the overall length of the loaded round and make sure it's not over SAAMI spec. for length. All my Marlins are sensitive to OAL for feeding. They also don't like SWC bullets.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    I would say that you may need to
    either take it to a gun smith and have
    it looked at and cleaned.
    And checked for bent or broken parts.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!
    Ben Franklin

The answer has already been given. It's either time to do a detail strip including the mag tube for cleaning or check your rounds for OAL.
    These two things (along with the Marlin jamb) are what I see most often when I run accross a 1894 that has issues.
    BTW, your issue is not considered the Marlin jamb which is caused by wear on the bottom of the lifter where the lever works against it.

Out Practicing
    “I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.”
    ― Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    There is a sticky somewhere which shows you how to file your cartridge stop to allow a longer overall length. This may suit you better than trimming cases and allow you to seat your bullet of choice into the crimp groove.

Depends which method suits you best. If you are a hunter and have a hundred cases or a cowboy or high volume shooter like me who usually has at lease 1000 cases or more in each calibre.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master

COL is 1.61". Don't think that is the problem. However, it looks like the round wants to lift the rim before it totally clears the mag. tube and it binds. I plan to shoot it again tomorrow morning. Maybe I will notice something that will help resolve this.