MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad DataRepackbox
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: I broke my mould

I broke my mould

I broke the bolt on the sprue plate it looked as if it needed to be tighter. Well no it did not it broke when I tightened it up . I then drilled out the broken screw and used another screw that I had. Well that did not work because it was not lined up with the bottom screw the sprue plate slides into. Well as you probably guessed I poured the lead and broke the handle to the sprue plate. I broke the metal not the wood part of the handle. I hope lee can help me out.
    VOTE 2010! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!) I got this from AZ Stew

Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician - Col Jeff Cooper

Boolit Grand Master

Doesn't sound like a warranty item the way you explained it.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    Doesn't sound like a warranty item the way you explained it.
    No not so much looking for warranty . I just hope I can get replacement parts.
    VOTE 2010! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!) I got this from AZ Stew

Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician - Col Jeff Cooper

Boolit Master

The lever on the spru plate of a Lee six cavity mould is poor at preforming it's task.
    Lee has replaced many of them.
    They break when used as directed, so just send it to them.
    As for the screw, surley you could find something to make a bushing out of.
    I made a new spruplate lever from mild steel, it's not so brittle as the original,
    three hours with a hack saw and file gave me much respect for khyber pass gunsmiths.
    When your six cavity mould is not up to temprature just fill 2 cavities at a time to prevent breakage. After a few cycles of just two bullets the mould will be warm enough to prevent breakage, and save the coupe of weeks it takes to get a replacement.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Quote Originally Posted by clodhopper View Post
    The lever on the spru plate of a Lee six cavity mould is poor at preforming it's task.
    Lee has replaced many of them.
    They break when used as directed, so just send it to them.
    As for the screw, surley you could find something to make a bushing out of.
    I made a new spruplate lever from mild steel, it's not so brittle as the original,
    three hours with a hack saw and file gave me much respect for khyber pass gunsmiths.
    When your six cavity mould is not up to temprature just fill 2 cavities at a time to prevent breakage. After a few cycles of just two bullets the mould will be warm enough to prevent breakage, and save the coupe of weeks it takes to get a replacement.
    Thanks Clodhopper that is good advise. I usually do the 2 cavity warm up for a few cycles and this time I did not. The part broke in 3 pieces. I suppose I could fabricate a new lever cam. I just do not have the time. I casted about 5000 bullets so I will be ok untill the parts show up. I would think they would sell replacement part though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bkid View Post
    I would think they would sell replacement part though.
    Most likely they will. If not, Midway has them for about $7.50

Click >>>> Here

Quote Originally Posted by oldUSMCsgt View Post
    Most likely they will. If not, Midway has them for about $7.50

Click >>>> Here
    You are correct,I expected to pay for it. I told the lady that I spoke to, I broke it myself . I asked if I owed anything ,and she told me nope. I explained again that I broke it. She told me that they stand behind there products. Well I guess so. Very Pleased with Lee 100%. I will stick with Lee ,not that everything I own is not a Lee Product.
    Last edited by Bkid; 05-11-2010 at 09:31 AM.

bkid, Tonight as I was loading some .45 200's, I noticed the lever was real hard to open but if I let it sit just long enough for the last cavity to solidify just a tad (basically going from molten to semi solid) the sprue cut real easy and I then let it sit for just a few seconds longer and the bullets dropped right out and looked great. I had a heck of a time before I got that technique.

Quote Originally Posted by RKJ View Post
    bkid, Tonight as I was loading some .45 200's, I noticed the lever was real hard to open but if I let it sit just long enough for the last cavity to solidify just a tad (basically going from molten to semi solid) the sprue cut real easy and I then let it sit for just a few seconds longer and the bullets dropped right out and looked great. I had a heck of a time before I got that technique.
    Sounds like you got it(Technique). I messed up.I tightened the sprue plate to much, and then put a screw that did not line up the sprue plate properly. That is what made the sprue plate stick real bad. Then I herculesed the the plate open when it broke. I messed up when I torqued the bolt to much,and it went all down hill. I learned not to do that ever again. Lee is sending new parts out even though I explained it to them , what I did. They basically said don`t do that again,we will send your parts out today. WOOHOO!

I got a new one too.
    Then this happened:

That's a total of four molds out of my six made by Lee.

Same thing happened to my six-cavity. I let my nephew try his hand at casting a few rounds, and he didn't close the sprue plate all the way (negating the mechanical advantage of the cam). Even though I tried to gently & smoothly cut the sprue, the handle still broke. I explained to the nice lady at Lee that this was MY fault. She took my name & address - never asked for a receipt or where/when I bought the mold, even though I had it less than a month - and I had a new one in my mailbox within a week. Now that alone will get them my return business!!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about."

Boolit Master

I have been doing that two stage opening of the Lee banger molds for years. Ya wait until the last cavity starts to change color and you just move the handle a smidge. Just enuf to cut the sprue but not enuf to drag molten alloy across the tops of the blocks.

Now the sprue plate is just sitting there and ya wait another couple of seconds for the boolits to harden up some. Then you fully open the sprue plate handle and dispose of the sprues and then open the mold and dump the boolits.

It is easier on the mold, handles and you and does not gall nor mess up the tops of the blocks. Use of Bullplate Sprue Plate lube is also a given here.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Master

Pre-heat the mould and don't wait too long for the lead to harden and you won't break the handles. I have over 22 different LEE 6 cav moulds. I have been casting over 3000 bullets a week for the last 5 years and have never broken a handle. I can't believe I have just been lucky, I just don't over tax the equipment.

Boolit Grand Master

If you do not preheat the mold enough and the sprue won't open all the way use the method in the instructions for opening a sprue plate when it was not closed all the way.

This is inserting a flat bladed screwdriver blade between the mold and the sprue cam. This will restore the mechanical advantage of the cam. Sometimes you have to insert the blade twice.

I have never broken one either. I am naturally ham fisted but fight it and usually overcome the temptation to "ram" it. Looks like a good place to upgrade the metal. Cast parts do not have to be brittle.
    Jay
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Boolit Man
    thanks guys.

i'm a long-time caster, but only recently with lee's 6-cavity moulds. mine were a breakage waiting to happen until i caught this thread...you folks are such a resource.

budman

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Springfield View Post
    Pre-heat the mould and don't wait too long for the lead to harden and you won't break the handles. I have over 22 different LEE 6 cav moulds. I have been casting over 3000 bullets a week for the last 5 years and have never broken a handle. I can't believe I have just been lucky, I just don't over tax the equipment.
    Agree--and well put.