Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
Wideners Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trail Boss Alternative for subs in 308 win family?

Boolit Bub

Trail Boss Alternative for subs in 308 win family?

So since trail boss seems to be gone indefinitely, would there be a viable alternative that would be safe for subsonic loads in a 308 Winchester sized case?

The specific cartridge I'm working with is 7mm-08 and I'm hoping to push either a 150gr hpbt or a 175gr round nose at around 1050 fps. Both bullets are close to the same length. My rifle has a 8.5" twist so these should be stable according to Berger calculator.

So my only hold up is if I can actually find a powder other than trail boss that will work safely. Thanks in advance!

What pistol powder do you have? I've done exactly this with ten grains Winchester Auto comp and a 155 grain plain base powder coated mp 308 hunter bullet. Do you have bullseye, tightgroup, unique, 4227, ???

Lymans AR reloading manual lists subs with rifle powder too.

Boolit Master
    Red Dot is the poor mans' Trailboss IMO.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Longranger44 View Post
    So since trail boss seems to be gone indefinitely, would there be a viable alternative that would be safe for subsonic loads in a 308 Winchester sized case?

The specific cartridge I'm working with is 7mm-08 and I'm hoping to push either a 150gr hpbt or a 175gr round nose at around 1050 fps. Both bullets are close to the same length. My rifle has a 8.5" twist so these should be stable according to Berger calculator.

So my only hold up is if I can actually find a powder other than trail boss that will work safely. Thanks in advance!
    How about making your own? Take a look at the topic..." my homemade Golden powder"
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...Golden-powder!

SR4759, Unique, 60%H4895, A5744

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel4k View Post
    Most assuredly so.... But...also currently absent from the shelves...here anyway...just like Unique
    in my limited experiments.. BE-86 been grain for grain thusfar with Unique.. Note...Thusfar!!!
    I will continue my experiments with AANitro 100NF...But...It is Not as Simple as throw the thing together and Shoot!!!!
    Plus side is, It is very Bulky, but Not as Bulky as Trail Boss.. and Faster I think...

on a side note...I truly believe that the Only Plus to Trail Boss was its Bulk....and most of us learned that if you dare compress the stuff...Bad things happened!!! .So...Still Not Dummy Proof as we wish!!

Something that has occurred to me in working with Nitro100 NF, that is relevant to Trail Boss..The Grain Weight is Just there for us Old School folks who were taught that Grain Weight was "all that"
    In Fact the Bulk or Volume of Trail Boss is what made it Simple.. ie fill to the base of the seated boolit in the case...Not a Weight...In Fact...A Volume..I have begun to treat Nitro100 that way..Not ...repeat Not something I advocate, rather an Observation... to date, Volume vs Grain Weight has resulted in Superior Repeatability...ie Consistency..
    Just a Note..I have Not completed..nay I have Not even Scratched the Surface of these Experiments, and Do Not in any way, advocate doing as I Am...Just sharing my assumptions...and we All know what assume Means!!!
    Last edited by racepres; 03-19-2024 at 09:38 PM.

Trail boss smells like cat pee when you shoot it

I have a couple containers of trailboss that I can’t see ever using. I didn’t know that it’s hard to get.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron369 View Post
    I have a couple containers of trailboss that I can’t see ever using. I didn’t know that it’s hard to get.
    It is selling for stupid prices.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I use HP-38, W231 and Titegroup for subs in 30-30, 30-06, 303 British, 7.65 Argentine and 32 Winchester Special. Lyman Cast Bullet handbook is your friend for this.
    Hick: Iron sights!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Bullseye has worked well in small game and gallery applications for over 100 years:

3 grains in .32-20
    4 grains .455, 45 Auto Rimmed
    5 grains in .45 ACP and .44 Special
    6 grains in .30-30, .32-40, 32-Win. Spl, .44-40
    7 grains in .30-40 Krag, .303"Brit, .45 Colt
    8 grains in .44 Magnum, .30-'06.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0390.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	108.5 KB 
ID:	324755

Red Dot works well in my 30/30, would probably do so in your .308
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master
    I use Red Dot in my Reminton 700 heavy barrel in 308 with cast bullets of various weights the rifle has very low recoil ideal for women or older kids.

Boolit Mold
    N110 maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel4k View Post
    +1 or promo
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    Wonderful...yes Red Dot is King!!!!
    Now
    Where ya Buy it?? just Now????

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    Most assuredly so.... But...also currently absent from the shelves...here anyway...just like Unique
    in my limited experiments..
    Fortunately it's still available locally, though only in 8lb jugs and for a price of $288 as of this past Friday.... The jug I'm currently using has a price tag on it of $149, which I though was mighty high when I bought it during the 2016 nonsense...

That said, there is one more place locally that sells reloading supplies, but they're only open during the hours I work. So I never get a chance to stop by their shop...
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron369 View Post
    Its out of production, apparently forever. Supply & demand. I have a 5lb jug I used maybe 200 grains out of, otherwise it would be on gunbroker right now
    Currently casting and loading: .32 S&W Long, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, 10mm, 44 Special 44 Magnum. .223, 7.62x39, 7.62 x 54R, .30-06, 45-70, .32, .36, .44. .45. .50. .54. .58 and .60 round ball and various minies. And .375 heel crimped conical for those .36 conversions . KB6MRP on Discord

Boolit Master
    I have gotten good results with both Red Dot and Green Dot in my 308 using a 196 gr plain base CB.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast