RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Powder Cross Reference

Moderator Emeritus

Powder Cross Reference

If you know of others, please add to this thread. This is not a list of powders that are close, this is the list of exact equivalents. Bofors Makes the Alliant, Norma, RWS Rhino powders. St. Marks makes the H110/HP38. ADI Makes the bulk of Hodgdon rifle powders and trailboss. The IMR/Hodgdon Data comes from MSDS sheets. The Bofors data comes from the factory ballastician.

Code:
    ADI Name	Hodgdon Name
    AS25BP / Trail Boss	Trail Boss
    AS30N	                Clays
    AS50N	                International Clays
    AP70N	                Universal Clays
    AR2205	                IMR 4227 - H4227
    AR2207	                H4198
    AR2215	                IMR 4198
    AR2219	                H322
    AR2206H	                H4895
    AR2208	                Varget
    AR2209	                H4350
    AR2213	                H4831
    AR2213SC	        H4831SC
    AR2217	                H1000
    AR2218	                H50BMG
    AR2225	                Retumbo
    Benchmark2	        BenchMark

Winchester Name	Hodgdon Name
    Win 231	                HP38
    Win 296	                H110

RWS Rhino Name	Alliant Name
    Rhino 12 (RP12)	Rl-10x
    Rhino 11 (RP11) 	Rl-15
    Rhino 14 (RP14)	Rl-19
    Rhino 15 (RP15)	RL-22
    Rhino 25 (RP25)	Rl-25

EL-Nielsen
    EL 145  RL-17
    El 170   RL-33

RWS Rhino Name	Norma Name
    RP9	                        Norma 200
    RP11	                Norma 201
    RP14	                Norma 202
    RP15	                Norma 203b
    RP18	                Norma 204
    RP22	                Norma MRP
    RP30	                Norma MRP-2

Norma Name	Alliant Name
    Norma 203b	RL-15
    Norma MRP	Rl-22

Winchester Name	Alliant Name
    WXR	                           Rl-22
    Last edited by wiljen; 07-24-2014 at 08:14 AM.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Boolit Mold
    Good to see that, wiljen and thanks for posting it. In case someone does not happen to think of it, that can be copied and pasted into a Word document and saved. I got mine!

Its missing these equivalents:

WW 760 H414

Boolit Buddy
    Ww540-hs6
    ww571-hs7

Banned
    I'm confused Accurate makes their version of 4895, 4350, and 4831. In the order listed they are 2495, 4350, and 3100. The first two are dead duplicates, the jury is out on the 3100.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by StarMetal View Post
    I'm confused Accurate makes their version of 4895, 4350, and 4831. In the order listed they are 2495, 4350, and 3100. The first two are dead duplicates, the jury is out on the 3100.
    ADI literally makes the powders for Hodgdon. It is not a matter of same burn rate, it is exactly the same powder.

I'm assuming that this list is of directly identical powders. Powders that come off the same manufacturing line and are made to the same specifications.

Not powders merely made by the same manufacturer, and not powders that are merely intended to be similar in burn rate.

I think ADI makes Hodgdon's extruded powders and St Marks makes Hodgdon's spherical (the latter under both Hodgdon brand and the Winchester brand ).
    Accurate Arms powders have been sourced all over the world over past decades - Israel, Czech Republic, etc. These days, Accurate Arms powders are to my understanding made by General Dynamics in Ontario (extruded) and General Dynamics plant in St Marks (spherical). Just because AA's sphericals are made in St Marks does not mean that they are now identical to a Hodgdon/WW powder. The plant will make the powder to match AA's specs to the existing product.

Boolit Master

Is 'Hercules' 2400 the same as 'Alliant' 2400? I have a metal can of 'Hercules' I picked up in a trade; any one know if I can use it with the 'Alliant'?
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnerd View Post
    Is 'Hercules' 2400 the same as 'Alliant' 2400? I have a metal can of 'Hercules' I picked up in a trade; any one know if I can use it with the 'Alliant'?
    Yes, hercules became alliant some years back. 2400 has evolved some over the years so it wont be exactly the same powder but if you start with starting charges and work up you can use alliant data for hercules 2400 and vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnerd View Post
    Yes, but as Wiljen says start low and work up. The new Alliant 2400 does not SEEM as vigorous as the old Herculese version. I just finished a large lot of .357s yesterday and used the last of my Herculese 2400 then finished with Alliant. The old stuff had more energy but did not burn as cleanly.

Boolit Master

here is a table I like to use when powder that I want isn't available, nuts I don't see any way to do an attachment. Need help here
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Grand Master
    WC820 is equivalent to AA #9.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    WC820 is equivalent to AA #9.
    But not in the sense intended by this sticky. It is not the same powder manufactured to the same specifications. In fact, as a non-canister grade powder, it can't be.

Boolit Master

What is "Longshot" equivalent to? I have a LOT of it.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Boolit Grand Master
    It's between accurate #7 and HS-7.
    http://www.reloadbench.com/burn.html

Boolit Master

Jim, I thought so, judging from the burn rate charts that I have. Do you know of a good starting load for the 7.62 x 39? Gun is an SKS. As Longshot is faster than 2400, can I start %10 lower than 2400 'starting loads'?
    Lead Forever!

John Galt was here.

Boolit Master

Wil,
    Can you cite a source for some of IMR's powders being sourced from ADI?? I was under the impression that even though Hodgdon bought IMR, the powder was all still made in the IMR plant in Valleyfield, Canada still.
    Group Buy Honcho for: 9x135 Slippery, 45x200 Target (H&G68), 45x230 Gov't Profile, 44x265 Keith

E-mail or PM me if you have one of the following commemorative Glocks you'd like to sell: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.

Found this, it might be the same did not check before posting.

http://www.adi-powders.com.au/handlo...quivalents.asp

Bulletlube, that is a useful list of similar burning rates, but does not clearly state which powders are in fact the same powder. There are some lines where some of the powders listed are the same powder and some are not. Like the line that starts with HS7.

Boolit Master

I did find some discussion on another forum (via Google) that asserts that IMR-4227 is in fact from ADI. The discussion states that when Hodgdon decided to discontinue H-4227 and only market the IMR- version, they continued acquiring it from ADI, but had ADI coat it in graphite to make it black like the "old" IMR powder.

I also found a criptic notation on the IMR website (now owned and operated by Hodgdon) which (in the history section of the "about us") said that "most" IMR powders are still made at the traditional plant in Canada... "Most" Hmmmm....
    Group Buy Honcho for: 9x135 Slippery, 45x200 Target (H&G68), 45x230 Gov't Profile, 44x265 Keith

E-mail or PM me if you have one of the following commemorative Glocks you'd like to sell: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast