RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad DataReloading Everything
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 40 of 48 FirstFirst ... 30313233343536373839404142434445464748 LastLast

Thread: Citric acid brass cleaner

Boolit Master
    Try a few they are more than likely fine . Test 50 or so check for split necks .( Chemical tarnish )

Boolit Grand Master

Might be the results of citric acid and a few steel cases.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by Bama View Post
    All shot in bolt actions with neck sizing only after the initial size. Friends I shoot with shooting same round in the same make of barrels get as much as 4 times the loading's and toss due to neck splits. Majority of brass is LC and is sorted by year. I believe Doc may be right about gripping between brass and chamber. In prior years failures would occur at or about 3/16 inch above solid portion of head. I will continue slightly lubing cases after loading for this batch and the try adding a little wax during cleaning as mention on earlier posts. Thanks guys-- it really helps to constructive input.
    I'm Citric Acid cleaning, rinse w/distilled water [to be recycled for subsequent batches], and tumbled in walnut w/Dillon case lube sprayed a little for each batch. I really like: no dirty contaminated walnut from cleaning brass, and the easy case lubing operation.
    Been loading 6.5 CM for ELD, learning to load Mosin Nagant & .308/7.62x51
    Caster & CWW / Lead miner.
    Mountain Mold 45-70-405, 80% Meplat, sized .461" dia. for Marlin 1895GS
    Lyman mold #429421 "Elmer Keith" style 255gr, Dbl Cavity; [for .44 Mag, S&W 629, Alox lubed]
    Lyman #356402, 9mm, Sngl Cavity [for a friend]
    LEE #90282, 12ga Drive Key, 7/8oz Slug [for: Son's 3-Gun]
    LEE #90349, 452-255RF, 6 Cavity [for 45 Colt & 45 ACP; Alox lubed]
    LEE #90697, 453-200RF, ditto

I tried cleaning a brass hull in my citric acid cleaner and hung in on a paper clip. Mistake, the acid stripped the paper clip and deposited it on the brass. Turned it very dark.

Boolit Master
    Copper color seems to come from using way too much citric acid. I use 1/2 to 1 teaspoon for about 1 1/2 gallons of water and 800 or 900 45 acp. !/2 if they are not too dirty, up to one level teaspoon if they are really bad.

Banned
    I left a large tumbler full of brass, water, lemishine and dawn over night and started getting dark blotches on the brass. Vender may have left the brass a long time in the solution after tumbling.

Hello Rondog, you can find citric acid at Walmart on the food canning section. I use this product and works very well, but I mix in a teaspoon of Down liquid dishwashing detergent to the mix seems to me like the final product comes out shiner..

Boolit Master
    I use to use Lemishine in my ultrasonic cleaner, but have since gone to citric acid from the canning section at Walmart. Much cheaper than Lemishine, and I use less. 1 teaspoon with a touch of Dawn in warm water. After rinsing and drying I run through my tumbler. They look factory new.

Boolit Bub
    Fantastic tips. I have some older 44 Mag brass that really needs this!

It's all I use anymore. After the cases are dry I tumble them for about 20-30 minutes and they look like new.

Boolit Man
    I found citric acid in a surprise product ... it is called Glisten Dishwasher cleaner ...Think it is in a 4 to 6 oz bottle and a liquid ...Cost was about $3.85 .... no mixing just measure and pour it in your tumbler(I use about 1/2 teaspoon/gallon) and a teaspoon of Mothers car wash and wax ... Shiny clean brass that has passivation .... Found this product in my local grocery store ... I am sure Walmart would have it ....

Boolit Master

As jrdztech said, you can find citric acid at Walmart in the canning section. In fact, you can probably find it at any store that sells canning supplies. It is used in the canning process to acidify foods like vegetables that don't have natural acidity to prevent spoilage. I got mine at WallyWorld too. But I've seen it at other stores in with the canning stuff.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    Without reading back through 40 pages: I find you can get it in bulk on e-bay. Some really good deals if you do a bunch of searching!
    I have been buying it there for years
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by JWFilips View Post
    Without reading back through 40 pages: I find you can get it in bulk on e-bay. Some really good deals if you do a bunch of searching!
    Since a little goes a long way, the small container at wally world suits me fine. I save my solution and re-use it, cold water means I just soak the hulls a little longer.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

How long are you guys soaking your cases in the CA? I see a distinct change after 1 minute. I usually pour out the CA water into another jug to save later after only 5 minutes soaking and turning the jug up and down a few times.

Then I dry them in an old towel, then to a dedicated cookie sheet to set in the sun until dry. If it's not sunny I put them in my dedicated toaster oven I bought for powder coating bullets. 5 - 10 minutes at the low setting is all it takes.

Then I put them into a vibratory tumbler with corn cob media and Berry's brass polish (or NuFinish liquid car wax) for only 20 minutes... sometimes longer just because I forgot about them running in another room.

So I have brass ready to load up in less than an hour. The other day I was running dirty 480 brass through my cleaning process while I was loading 480 rounds at the same time. My dirty cases were ready to go before I was done loading 50 of these MiHec powder coated 477-640 monster hollowpoints.

Boolit Master
    LEMI SHINE AT WALLY WORLD.....Cleans wife's dishwasher also

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter6br View Post
    LEMI SHINE AT WALLY WORLD.....Cleans wife's dishwasher also
    Lemishine works great. I put boiling hot water in my ultrasonic cleaner and a sprinkle of lemishine for 8 minutes with a hundred or so of .45acp brass and nicely clean & shiny.
    Not as nice as the stainless pins but much quicker for everyday use type brass.
    I use the pins for hunting ammo that sits around or gets carried more than shot.
    I'm the gun totin, meat eatin', BIBLE readin', redneck conservative your mother always warned you about.

" Holes kill stuff. "

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by JWFilips View Post
    I bought from Dudadiesel, 5 lbs 100% pure powder should last a lifetime...he may sell on fleabay?
    http://www.dudadiesel.com/choose_ite...anuhoCcFbw_wcB

I use 3 Tblsp in one gallon of hot water in a dedicated Crockpot, I heat to near boiling. The most tarnished brass is clean on about 10 minutes.

Also, a heads up, if the brass was castboolit loads with a beeswax/oil type lube, I prewash in warm soapy water first (Dawn dishsoap) ...by hand in a bucket, to remove the lube residue.
    Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 02-12-2017 at 01:41 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    Mrs Wages has citric acid for canning. You should be able to get it anywhere that carries Mrs Wages products.
    Quote Originally Posted by TDB9901 View Post
    If you do any fruit canning, or freezing, I believe "Fruit Fresh" is mostly citric acid. Keeps peaches from turning brown during processing.

Never thought of using it on brass though...... That's why I come here!!!

Tom

Boolit Buddy
    I have some 30 yr old loaded rounds that have tarnish and some have corrosion in spots. If I smear beeswax on primers and place rounds neck deep in this solution, will they clean and go bang when trigger is pulled. Does solution have to be boiling hot or can hot tap water be used.
    Please email me with any input: odette@wctatel.net

Page 40 of 48 FirstFirst ... 30313233343536373839404142434445464748 LastLast