WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 16 of 48 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Citric acid brass cleaner

(deleted incorrect MSDS, see Post #304)

I've been using this as an aluminum cleaner for about a decade. Some of the aluminum coming off the machines is pretty grungy, and this stuff is effective.

The MSDS is silent as to its specific ingredients (other than to note potassium hydroxide), siting the non-disclosure of trade secret loop-hole. But I want to say that it acts and feels like citric acid (low pH is disclosed). Perhaps someone can infer more than I can from the above MSDS.
    Last edited by WallyM3; 06-28-2010 at 10:44 PM.

Boolit Master
    "trade secret" --- high pH (13.1), definitely not an acid -- contains >5% potassium hydroxide, probably the active ingredient.

High pH, not low, Wally, or did you post the wrong sheet? Or am I missing something....
    Paul

No, you're not missing anything. They've substituted an entirely different product under the old stock number I have. I took the stock number from a 32 oz. spray bottle I have in the shop. Evidently, they don't offer that packaging any more and have reused the old number.

The bottle of cleaner that I have here is labeled "Low pH".

Found it under a different packaging:

http://www1.mscdirect.com/MSDS/MSDS0...3-20090213.PDF

I really don't like change.....

Beating the dead remuda....

In wandering around the Ponderosa, I spied a brass ashtray that had been outside for at least 4 years. (You know where this is going, don't you.)

This whole process, from solution to pictures, took two hours.

Sorry, I'm figuring out some photo upload issues.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_7787.jpg  
    Last edited by WallyM3; 06-28-2010 at 10:45 PM.

Part Deux:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_7789.jpg  

After an hour and a half soak (brushing out the bottom but not scrubbing anything). There's that tell-tale reddish-copper color indicating some zinc loss.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_7790.jpg   DSC_7791.jpg  

Wow, looks like there should be a genie hiding in that thing!

The zinc was lost during the formation of the tarnish-- it's removal made for the previous deep coppery patina. Looks good now, even without polishing. That matte glow is pleasing to the eye.

Since these parts won't fit in my Dillon 2000, I polished a bit (about 4 minutes effort) with some Brasso to mimic the polishing effect of the "tumbler":

I struggled a little with posting photos because the were of vastly differing sizes (I think).

If that thing can be cleaned by this process....

My case sorting rule is that if the coppery color is removed by tumbling, I keep the case. If it's still there after tumbling, it goes to the scrap bucket.

Two hours from start to pics!

(pretty cool old-fashion parting tray ashtray)
    Last edited by WallyM3; 06-28-2010 at 07:14 PM.

Yeah.

I almost left it in the patinated stage, but I wanted to make the point about the brass.

Maybe I'll soak it again and leave it that way.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by WallyM3 View Post
    Two hours from start to pics!

pretty cool old-fashion parting tray ashtray
    Nice but do ya smoke?
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by WallyM3 View Post
    Yeah.

I almost left it in the patinated stage, but I wanted to make the point about the brass.

Maybe I'll soak it again and leave it that way.
    Waaaaaaal, now that it's polished, it looks mighty fine! I don't smoke, but it's a nice lookin' piece of metalwork-- and the genie thing has got to be a plus anyway...

The genie comes in handy. Lights my ceegars.

Boolit Master
    Wow, Wally, that's a big switcheroo. I'll be reading labels and tech data sheets carefully from now on.....
    Paul

Yeah! Me too.

I've been using the low pH stuff for a long time, same stock number, same supplier (MSC), so when I dialed up the number, I didn't even bother to check that it was anything other than.

Of course, now I don't have to buy any more of it...or either.

Boolit Buddy
    Thats amazing. Nice job.

Boolit Master
    I'm surprised MSC re-used the stock number for a dissimilar product. They call on us, I will ask the rep. He won't know but maybe he'll pass it up the hill to someone who does.

I've accidentally done enough industrial purchasing over the years to get to know a few folks at Grainger and MSC.... a dissimilar product sub doesn't seem like them.
    Paul

That's why I didn't scrutinize the MSDS more closely. When I went back to replicate my results, I couldn't. No MSDS is offered for that number. However, if you click on the 55gal. drum the correct MSDS displays on a pdf.

The MSC # on the bottle of Global Diversified Products (sounds like the Federation of Associations), "Aluminum Cleaner GDP 8007...LOW pH" is 00352765.

It may be that they have discontinued that size. I don't know what I did to come up with that first sheet.

I've been doing business with MSC for my one man operation since prolly 1995 (?) and I agree with your take on it. I must have gotten side-tracked. That's easy to do around here.

Has anyone tried Copper Glo,its a bar keepers friend product that says excellent on brass.Tarnish removers(citric acid,sodium chloride),polishing and anti-tarnish agents.Contains no phosphates.Enviro friendly and biodegradable.Got a 12 oz. can for 1.59 at grocery store,wonder if it would work without any problems.Says it works on SS,bronze, and chrome also.

Today, I was a Kmart and picked up some lemonaide, I put some range pickup brass in it after heating the CoolAid in the Mico til it was just about to boil. I then poured in the brass and set it outside 100 degree temp for 2 hours. Picture #2 is what I got after hand wipeing dry. FYI

Attachment 23381

Attachment 23382

“A liberal’s paradise would be a place where everybody has guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free utilities, and only law enforcement has guns. And believe it or not, such a place does indeed already exist: It's called Prison."

--- Sheriff Joe Arpaio, Maricopa County, Arizona

I tried the copper glo and it works well,turned the brass like new,the sodium chloride isn't table salt but read it had sulfamic acid in it.If the stuff that's in it is OK it cleans up brass real well with not much effort.Dried the brass off and put in tumbler with nufinish car wax.Brass came out shining better than new.There is a metal polish from citrus magic called brilliant metal cleaner,they claim its the best brass polish there is.I think it used to be called brite boy.Wonder if it is worth a try.