Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
Repackbox
Page 42 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3233343536373839404142434445464748 LastLast

Thread: Citric acid brass cleaner

Banned
    You could chuck the rounds and spin them gripping the brass with a Scotch Brite pad and a little polish same as cleaning old loaded rounds.
    Adding steel BB's and/or rice to your media will make it more aggressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Steamin View Post
    This is post tumbling, about 6-8 hours on a 4 hour timer.
    At what ratio did you mix the citric acid??
    My results have been much different than that... I haven't had any "dark" left on the cases, it either disappears or turns reddish.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    odette, I agree with David, chuck the rounds and spin with scotch brite. I would never put loaded rounds (that I wanted to shoot) in any liquid). I have lightly cleaned loaded rounds in a tumbler with dry media (never a vibrator, that breaks down the powder).
    That has been tested and the testing did not show higher velocities.

Quote Originally Posted by 62chevy View Post
    I use the Lyman corn cob so not sure what is in it but it is green in color. try some braso on one and see what that does then go from there.
    Brasso contains ammonia which will embrittle brass so it's not a good idea to use it on ammunition.

Steamin, are you using straight citric acid for canning fruit? Are you warming the solution? Did you read the sticky on citric acid? You should be getting better results. I agree with Whitespider. What are you using as tumbling media?
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    Brasso contains ammonia which will embrittle brass so it's not a good idea to use it on ammunition.
    Forgot that thanks.
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

Wife found a product Glisten for disposal cleaning. Same detergent ingredient as Dawn blue. $2.35 for a bag of 4 small pouches that should last a lifetime of brass cleaning. Pinch of it and pinch of citric acid should do it.
    EDIT: tried it this morning in the US. Second wash to get the sizing lube off 308w. Water came out really dirty this time. Also used a mapp torch to anneal cases. Rotated in fingers and RCBS lube turned color just as the neck got to temp. Interesting!
    Last edited by popper; 06-01-2017 at 11:52 AM.
    Whatever!

Boolit Mold
    My apologies on getting back to the thread, now to answer what has been asked.
    Steamin, are you using straight citric acid for canning fruit?
    Yes, approximately 2 tablespoons per gallon with a 30-40 minutes soak, followed by a cold water rinse.

Are you warming the solution?
    Yes, I'm also pre-warming the brass prior to placing it in the 160-180 degree Citric Acid Solution.

Did you read the sticky on citric acid?
    Yes, I'll go back and re-read it.

What are you using as tumbling media?
    Walnut Media at first, then I have added a teaspoon of brasso. They do have more of a shine to them, but there are still alot of dark and discolored spots on the casings.

Thanks

Boolit Master

I believe the max is two tablespoons per quart of water and a dash of dish soap. I believe your solution is to light.
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

Boolit Master
    Brasso and brass = BAD IDEA!! The Brasso has chemicals in it that can attack and make the brass brittle. I would stop using it if it were me.
    R.D.M.

I just use Lemishine per the SS tumbling media solution.

Boolit Master
    I do not measure that citrus powder, but I have very clean brass & I can almost guarantee it is not more than a TEAspoon to do it.

I just use a shake or two of the citrus powder used for canning, a couple drops dish soap into hot water with the brass covered. I stir with one of those whisk things in an plastic ice cream "gallon/whatever that is close to that size" bucket that has a handle & then let sit for about 15 minutes. I re-stir it & then I let it set while I warm up some hot water in the sink. The cases get dumped into a spaghetti strainer , then rinsed & stirred shook with the whisky thing again & then put into a hammock made of a dish towel & swished back & forth to get mostly dry. Then I air dry or just put in the vibrating tumbler, or lube & size, whichever I think should happen next.

Pretty simple process, IMO. ANd it works very well for what I need it to do.

Link to the Mrs. Wages stuff I use for more info, etc. if ya want it...:
    http://store.mrswagesstore.com/mrswagcitac.html

JB you basically just described my process except I have been known to use a teapot to get the water hotter. And I like to run a small bristle brush into primer pockets as I dry.

Teaspoon in half a gallon is what I have been using and I'm happy with it.

My Vibratory tumbler thinks I don't love it anymore, I seldom use it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    JB you basically just described my process except I have been known to use a teapot to get the water hotter. And I like to run a small bristle brush into primer pockets as I dry.

Teaspoon in half a gallon is what I have been using and I'm happy with it.

My Vibratory tumbler thinks I don't love it anymore, I seldom use it.
    I also have used the stovetop to get the hot water on occasion, but I also, although I did not mention it, is use the water that runs before getting hot to rinse other dishes, including the utensils I just finished using for the citrus bath. "Waste not, want not', as they say.

Boolit Master

Have an older crock pot (probably 25 yrs old or more) that was seeing no use. Decided to give it a try with 1,000 .308 very dirty cases. Brass doesn't look new after cleaning but looks fine for reloading. Did not bother to measure the amount of citric acid since I have about 25 lbs of the stuff and do not know the volume of the crock pot. Put in a squirt of Dawn dishwashing liquid along with the citric acid once it reached maximum temperature. Cleaned the brass up fine. My vibratory tumbler is seeing little use now. Only problem is having to de-prime all brass in advance of the citric acid cleaning routine. Do not know how to get around that. Big Boomer

What I've been doing lately is resize/decap before the citric acid bath, and when dry, toss them in the vibrating tumbler with clean, untreated corncob media. The cases come out looking brand new... not even any resizing marks on them.

I've yet to use anything but hot tap water...

Boolit Master
    I purchased a Tumbler, Stainless Steel pins, and Dawn and Lem Shine. I put the brass in the tumbler add the pins, Dawn and Lem Shine and 1/2 warm water.
    Let tumble 4 hours rinse and dump in my Dillon Case media separator.
    If any of the brass is foreign military the whole mess will come out with a green residue that needs cleaned off dried then put into a straight walnut media for additional tumbling.
    I have also added Brasso in my walnut and corncob media then either vibrate or tumble they came out clean.
    I was told be a gunsmith 20 or more years ago to use the Brasso but after reading this post I will need to find something else to add that is not detrimental to my brass.
    I am thinking on doing a Citric Acid soak then rinse, dry and put in the tumbler with a added polishing (yet to be determined) and plain crushed walnut shells or corncob.
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Swede44mag View Post
    I purchased a Tumbler, Stainless Steel pins, and Dawn and Lem Shine. I put the brass in the tumbler add the pins, Dawn and Lem Shine and 1/2 warm water.
    Let tumble 4 hours rinse and dump in my Dillon Case media separator.
    If any of the brass is foreign military the whole mess will come out with a green residue that needs cleaned off dried then put into a straight walnut media for additional tumbling.
    I have also added Brasso in my walnut and corncob media then either vibrate or tumble they came out clean.
    I was told be a gunsmith 20 or more years ago to use the Brasso but after reading this post I will need to find something else to add that is not detrimental to my brass.
    I am thinking on doing a Citric Acid soak then rinse, dry and put in the tumbler with a added polishing (yet to be determined) and plain crushed walnut shells or corncob.
    Just change to Nu-finish car wax in the orange bottle.
    Lead bullets Matter

Boolit Master
    Thanks 62chevy
    I looked at WallyWorld they did not have any in stock but a internet search says Advanced Auto Parts that is closer to my house has it.
    I have used Dillon brass polish many years ago but now there is nobody around selling Dillon products and shipping makes it to expensive it for me.

I really thought the Wet tumble with the SS pins, Lem Shine and Dawn was the answer to cut down the dust but it has been a hit and miss.
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Bub
    For those using shell media, like I do. You can save a bunch by going to Petsmart or any of the big pet stores and buying the shell iguana bedding.. Same stuff, works great, at 1/3 or less the price of "case tumbling media".. Apologies if this has been posted..

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by brayhaven View Post
    For those using shell media, like I do. You can save a bunch by going to Petsmart or any of the big pet stores and buying the shell iguana bedding.. Same stuff, works great, at 1/3 or less the price of "case tumbling media".. Apologies if this has been posted..
    Most of the bedding I find in my local pet shops is too coarse and sticks in the primer flash holes. I use blast media in a 20-40 grit and is much smaller with no problems in the flash holes. Last bag of corn I got was from McMaster & Carr for about a buck a lb after shipping. Split it with 3 reloaders since it was 40 lbs. Or Harbor Freight for Walnut in 25 lb boxes is about 18-20 when on sale and 20% coupon, the fine grit works.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 2011redrider View Post
    Most of the bedding I find in my local pet shops is too coarse and sticks in the primer flash holes. I use blast media in a 20-40 grit and is much smaller with no problems in the flash holes. Last bag of corn I got was from McMaster & Carr for about a buck a lb after shipping. Split it with 3 reloaders since it was 40 lbs. Or Harbor Freight for Walnut in 25 lb boxes is about 18-20 when on sale and 20% coupon, the fine grit works.
    Yup and you can even order this online at the Walmart site.
    Lead bullets Matter

Page 42 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3233343536373839404142434445464748 LastLast