RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 43 of 48 FirstFirst ... 33343536373839404142434445464748 LastLast

Thread: Citric acid brass cleaner

Boolit Master

Pretty purplish/pinkish/violet brass! All because there were a dozen or so steel cases (with copper wash covering) in my crockpot. Filled it up with 9mm/.380 brass from the indoor range after de-priming. Let it cook for a while, stirring now and then. Took pot outside after pouring off the cleaning mix of citric acid, dawn dish detergent and water. The steel cases were scattered throughout, of course, so everything in their vicinity got hit. Oh well, it won't change the performance of the ammo but I hate to see that colorful mix in my brass. Anyway, its all nice and clean. A word to the wise. Big Boomer
    Last edited by Big Boomer; 08-28-2017 at 06:31 PM. Reason: addition

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Boomer View Post
    Pretty purplish/pinkish/violet brass! All because there were a dozen or so steel cases (with copper wash covering) in my crockpot. Filled it up with 9mm/.380 brass from the indoor range after de-priming. Let it cook for a while, stirring now and then. Took pot outside after pouring off the cleaning mix of citric acid, dawn dish detergent and water. The steel cases were scattered throughout, of course, so everything in their vicinity got hit. Oh well, it won't change the performance of the ammo but I hate to see that colorful mix in my brass. Anyway, its all nice and clean. A word to the wise. Big Boomer
    Have had the same thing w 223 cases. Now I use the magnet over unknown cases and they pop right up.
    Have rewashed the brass and all the staining was removed.

Boolit Master

2011redrider: It will have to wait until the next wash. However, I will forever remember the headstamp: FM 9mm Luger. Just to be on the safe side in case I forget due to my age, I'm keeping one of those buggers on my reloading bench. Big Boomer

Boolit Man
    I’ve been using this method for years. Easy to get Citric acid. Right in the canning section of Walmart.

Boolit Bub
    Yep, Fruit Fresh is Citric Acid. I've used it a lot in canning apples, peaches and cutting up avocados. Try stainless steel pins in a Thumblers Tumbler with a couple of quarts of water, Brass comes out shiny as new, but you have to shake out the pins. That gets to be a pain.

Bob

Boolit Grand Master

The same separator that rids your brass of corn cob or walnut gets the pins out, especially under water. It rinses the acid out at the same time.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Hmmm. If I keep using it with tumbling in a Lyman Cyclone how do you folks prepare the solution? I was thinking of figuring out how much Citric Acid to pour in once I've added water, maybe 4 tsp for a full container? Or more? And then a few drops of dish soap should help too, I'd think.

But if I can just pre-rinse and re-use the solution, that could work well too, maybe a 5 gallon bucket and a basket of some kind to pick the brass up after a quick dip in there? Would you want to use a glass container for the citric acid solution so you can reheat it, or is room temperature OK? (I'm patient, I can deal with a couple minutes wait, always other things to do, just don't leave it in there a month LOL)

I already use Citric Acid for zesting up Lemon Pepper and other spices, it's in a LOT of spice products among other uses. Nice to know about the Fruit Fresh as a source. It's also sold on the usual auction site at about $6 a pound (if you look around through a few auctions and buy a pound at a time.) Probably cheaper if you get more, but a pound is a bit of that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    Hmmm. If I keep using it with tumbling in a Lyman Cyclone how do you folks prepare the solution? I was thinking of figuring out how much Citric Acid to pour in once I've added water, maybe 4 tsp for a full container? Or more? And then a few drops of dish soap should help too, I'd think.

But if I can just pre-rinse and re-use the solution, that could work well too, maybe a 5 gallon bucket and a basket of some kind to pick the brass up after a quick dip in there? Would you want to use a glass container for the citric acid solution so you can reheat it, or is room temperature OK? (I'm patient, I can deal with a couple minutes wait, always other things to do, just don't leave it in there a month LOL)

I already use Citric Acid for zesting up Lemon Pepper and other spices, it's in a LOT of spice products among other uses. Nice to know about the Fruit Fresh as a source. It's also sold on the usual auction site at about $6 a pound (if you look around through a few auctions and buy a pound at a time.) Probably cheaper if you get more, but a pound is a bit of that stuff.
    I use the basket from a discarded salad spinner to separate cases from cleaning solution. You can use the bowl part for soaking, then just lift the basket out and shake.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post

Sounds like way too much citric acid, I only use 1/4 to 1/2 tsp per gal of water in a Frankford tumbler and it works fine without a pre rinse.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    As a pre-tumbling dip, will it work OK at 50 degrees F or so, or is some heat helpful?

Boolit Man
    Thanks for taking the time to gives the details!

Boolit Bub
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	citric acid.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	210069

Ace hardware, Walmart, ect.. Canning section..

Boolit Master
    I use citric acid and a drop of washup Liquid in my sonic cleaner even cleans the primer pockets! Now I don't get brass shamed at the range haha

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robg View Post
    I use citric acid and a drop of washup Liquid in my sonic cleaner even cleans the primer pockets! Now I don't get brass shamed at the range haha
    ++......... magic combination

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    A suggestion to the member who wanted to remove rust from the top of his vehicle.....

Instead of building some kind of "dam" to hold the citric solution in place, just make up a gallon batch (hot) and then shove a terrycloth towel in the container until it's completely soaked. Remove the towel and spread it out over the rusty area. Let it work for a half hour, remove and repeat if needed.

I saw this stunt using Metal Prep at an automotive body shop. Seems to me it should work as well with the citric solution.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Tried citric acid on my brass. Works great. Now I use it all the time.

Boolit Buddy
    The Keno Brothers wouldn't even waste their time with you guys. Taking all this "Antique" Brass and turning it bight and shinny, you wouldn't last five minutes on the Antique Road Show

Boolit Master
    Hot citric acid solution cleaned up a rusty case gauge pretty well. I'm hoping it will also take the superficial rust off some sprue plates without issue.

ETA: yup, took the rust right off, but took the finish too. I can live with that.
    Last edited by kevin c; 01-05-2019 at 04:47 AM.

Boolit Master

I used my tried an true method this afternoon on some really grungy .380 brass. A healthy squirt or 2 of lemon juice, scalding hot water and a few drips of Dawn. Shake like crazy and rinse and dump on towel to dry. They look great.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Mold
    I use hot water, a couple granules of Lemishine, Dawn and steel pins for 1 quart.

Page 43 of 48 FirstFirst ... 33343536373839404142434445464748 LastLast