MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad DataTitan Reloading
PBcastcoWidenersRepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Lube stick molds - my version

Completely independently I came up with a similar system.

I also used 5" lengths of 1" PVC. I put round caps on one end drilled for a bolt or something similar. To limit the lube fillout in the endcaps I used a large washer in one. In the other I filled the endcap with hot glue. For my mold stand I used a Forstner bit to drill a hole the diameter of the cap in a length of 2x4. Centered in hole that I drilled a smaller hole for the head of the nut that runs the length of the tube.
    For plugs I used a hole saw to cut plugs out of pine and (while spinning the plugs in the drill press) used a rasp to taper them. I cut the bottom off an old funnel to fill the tubes.

Everything went fine, with only some spillage from over filling one of the tubes. No pictures right now because they're out in the garage and its 25* outside.

Then I wondered how to get the lube out of the PVC and though to look on the site. You guys were way ahead of me.

One dowel and a washer later I have my first batch of lube sticks. The next batch in in the garage setting up.

Thanks.

David
    Cats are fun and magical when you can't smell their poop! Fresh Step!

JPFO; NCOWS; NRA (Life); NYSRPA (Life); SAF, SASS

I'm looking for a shooter grade Smith & Wesson Victory model in .38 Special.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Recluse View Post

That is slick and absolutely top shelf! And I'm going to shamelessly duplicate it.

GOOD job!

Yep me too
    Hmmm back to Lowe's again forth trip this week.
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavity

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Recluse View Post

That is slick and absolutely top shelf! And I'm going to shamelessly duplicate it

GOOD job!

I also bootlegged his idea and it works like a charm , I haven't bought lube sticks for 3 years

Boolit Master
    I used 1" electrical conduit instead of PVC. It's a little closer to the diameter of the sizer interior, and the metal tubes will stand up to the temps needed to pour the heavy soap lubes. My PVC tubes are all warped from being softened by an ATF/paraffin/Ivory experiment a few years ago.

It's also very easy to heat them with a torch to get them to release hardened sticks.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Old poly cutting board for a base. Old arrows for the thru hole.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hollow tube setup 003.jpg   hollow tube setup 002.jpg  

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Yodogsandman View Post
    Old poly cutting board for a base. Old arrows for the thru hole.
    Now you're gonna make me have to make one of these too.

I updated my lube stick molds today using a version of Gunarea's excellent design. Using a length of 1" PVC tubing I made four more 5" mold bodies. While I was at the hardware store for the PVC, I noticed they had 3/8" spikes in various lengths. So I picked up a half dozen spikes and 3/8" fender washers.

After doing some testing on scrap wood, I used my adjustable hole saw to cut grooves for the PVC and a 3/8" drill to widen the center hole in a length of 2x6.

Then it was time to melt my pot of lithi-bee and fill the tubes. Unfortunately, my plastic funnel didn't survive this batch. I was able to get the last tube filled with only minor spillage.

The only down side is that since it still gets over 80* during the day and even though the evenings feel cooler, its not really that cool. Getting the lube out of the molds and off the spikes was a little more challenging because the lube was still fairly soft.

Nevertheless, I endeavored to persevere and completed the extractions. I now have another 6, foil wrapped, tubes of lube, ready to go in my Ideal No. 45 Lubricator and Sizer as needed.

Thanks for the ideas.

David
    Cats are fun and magical when you can't smell their poop! Fresh Step!

JPFO; NCOWS; NRA (Life); NYSRPA (Life); SAF, SASS

I'm looking for a shooter grade Smith & Wesson Victory model in .38 Special.

Boolit Master
    Amazing how ideas evolve, isn't it?
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Bub
    Great creativity.

For me I'll just buy stix as I need them from here, I can't justify the cost & time to make my own.

Boolit Bub
    There are some great ideas here.But I just like pouring hot ,heating with a double boiler.

Boolit Master
    I don’t know if I should get admit this but I remember the first time I filled up my Lyman with melted Felix lube. I didn’t have it set up right, and as I poured lube in, it poured out all over my floor. It only happened once .
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Bub
    Thank you for the post looks pretty easy to make. Do u think it would be hard if u don't use rod. Don't need hole for mine

Rod not needed

Hey orangeeclipseman
    The rod is not needed for making solid sticks. The 1/4" center hole, made by the pilot drill in the hole saw, should be either plugged or covered. The center holes in my form are enlarged to accommodate the 3/8" center rod so are larger than what you may have to deal with. For my solid stick making, small, slightly hand carved pop gun corks are used. They leave a dimple in one end after removed. As I recall, the first time the corks were used, they were a bit of a bugger to get freed up. Mr. Forest put a piece of masking tape across the bottom and pushing the pipe into the hole saw recess held the tape in place. Make sure to allow for complete cooling before stripping forms to avoid catastrophic mess. Please, let others know how you tackle the situation. Best of skill to you.
    Roy
    Last edited by gunarea; 03-11-2019 at 06:58 AM. Reason: correction
    Shoot often, Shoot well.

Boolit Master
    Just like downtown. Pretty slick. What I do for my RCBS LAM II is carefully microwave the lube in a 600 ml pyrex beaker. Then I just pour it into the sizer leaving about 3/4" below the threads. Quick, easy and no sticky mess.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234