Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powder for .357 and .44mag

Powder for .357 and .44mag

I use VV N-110 powder for both calibers. I see from alot of posts here that its is rare that you are using it. So is there any better options that I should try?
    I will try the VV 3N38 in both calibers, any input to that?

Boolit Master

I've never used those, but . . . use Alliant Blue Dot, and 2400. I'm not sure you have access to them over on that side of the pond though . . .

I also have a Volvo S60AWD! (And obviosily (sp?) a Mercedes Benz too!)
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by piece View Post
    I use VV N-110 powder for both calibers. I see from alot of posts here that its is rare that you are using it. So is there any better options that I should try?
    I will try the VV 3N38 in both calibers, any input to that?
    That N-110 is a fine powder and the big reason we don't use a lot is that it is hard to find and more expensive then H110 and 296. I have never seen it at my gun shop and it is a special order. It is a shame because VV makes great powders.
    The stores here only stock what sells best and fast.
    You are fortunate to be able to get it easy, stay with it.

Boolit Master

VV N-110 is probably the best that there is for the magnums. It is less used here in the US because it is about 40% more expensive and as a result not many gun shops carry it.
    EW

Just to compare, here we pay approx 110USD per Kilogram of VV N-110 powder.
    And yes its one of the cheaper. But still I can put a 250gr Keith style bullet with GC to some 1500fps with it.

Boolit Master

That's roughly US$50 per pound, we pay about $20 - $22 per pound for powders that we use . . . buying in 8 pound bulk saves even more.
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

2400 and 4227 is what I have used forever. Never tried VV so can't compare.

I use Win-296 for my mag loads. Since I can't hunt anymore I use Win-231 and Bullseye for just about everything.
    Best regards, Baldy.

Banned

I just bought 8# jugs of 296 and it came to $17.06 per pound with shipping and hazmat.
    Soon as I find time to cast, I can go nuts shooting!

piece,
    I use mostly H110 and 2400 for .357 and .44 mag.
    Man, I was upset about the price of powder here, I can't believe what you guys have to pay.
    Are primers hard to get over there and just for curiosity, what do you have to pay for them?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by piece View Post
    Just to compare, here we pay approx 110USD per Kilogram of VV N-110 powder.
    And yes its one of the cheaper. But still I can put a 250gr Keith style bullet with GC to some 1500fps with it.
    Makes me want to order some! It's $27.90 at MidSouth http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.co...sku=00034N1101
    EW

Boolit Master
    Haven't found any of the VV powders for sale so don't have any experience with them.

However 44man says stick with it and that would be good enough for me!

State side I've found 296 does everything I want in each caliber. If I ever get a chance to try some N-100 I will but at 27.90 plus haz mat I think my 21.50 take home 296 is gonna be my fuel of choice for a long time!

$110 a kilogram of powder? Ouch. I guess that will teach me not to whine about component prices.

That said, I don't think I'd try to talk you out of VV N110 powder given its accessability to you.

Quote Originally Posted by jmsj View Post
    piece,
    I use mostly H110 and 2400 for .357 and .44 mag.
    Man, I was upset about the price of powder here, I can't believe what you guys have to pay.
    Are primers hard to get over there and just for curiosity, what do you have to pay for them?
    Federal primers LP mag goes for 68USD/1000pcs and in bulk 63USD/1000pcs.
    And yes Fed primers is a pain to find here, if i spot some I usualy by what i van find. We have a very intresting law that says that we are not allowed to store more than 2kg of powder and 2000 primers here. As most of you know that is not even close to what is needed so all pretty mutch ignore it.

Boolit Master

During the late 80s when I was in Germany most of my magnum loads (41/44) were with IMR4227 and 2400 (don't remember what I loaded for my .357 Coonan). Did use some BA-9/10 for my 9mm and .45s. You may want to look at the SP3 powder sold under the label Vacten/Nobel Sport as an alternate solution.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Boolit Master
    I used a couple of the VV powders for about 3 years. Then it got to the point I couldn't find it. I finally found some but they had went to 1 pound jugs and the price went up as well. I had heard through the grape vine, that a lot of folks whined about their small jugs being 2 pounders and that was what made part of the price go up. Somthing to do with the package and the shipping to the US.
    IMHO it is excellent powder, at least from what I used. I have found nothing to compare it too.
    jeff

Moderator Emeritus

H110
    Blue Dot
    My favorite magnum handgun powders.
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

Boolit Bub
    I am liking AA powders these days.

I use AA#5 for medium power loads in 44 mag and for full power ones in 45 acp. It is a bit slower than Unique and more accurate and "cleaner"

I am using AA #9 for full or near full power loads in 44 mag. It is a tad slower than 296 and so far, it seems to be a bit more accurate, although.. I have no problem with 296

What I like about both AA #5 and AA#9 is that they have more "range" of loading. You can back off a few grains to start. 296 does not recommend that you use anything but full power charges of it's powder.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Your AA9 obviously is from a SLOW lot, or was obtained by the vendor from another source. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by spqrzilla View Post
    $110 a kilogram of powder? Ouch. I guess that will teach me not to whine about component prices.
    +1. You sure won't hear me complaining about the prices here.
    Matt

44 Special Articles

With regards to gun control in this country, everyone should be asking themselves one question:
    What is it that this government feels they need to do, but can't do, unless the citizens of this nation are first disarmed?
    (I seriously doubt you can come up with any plausible answers that you will like...)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast