MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: Replica 1873 Winchesters

Boolit Mold

Replica 1873 Winchesters

In your opinion, which is the best? I'm wanting one in 44-40 cal. with a 24" barrel.

Boolit Mold
    I personally feel that Uberti makes the best and have the most styles. Not what you asked, but I own a '66 in .44-40, very nice, very accurate, easy to load for. I also own a '73 in .38-40, again beautiful Uberti work, very accurate, very smooth. A friend has a '73 deluxe with pistol grip. That is a very nice looking rifle.

The Ubertis will also be imported by other companies like Cimmeron and the likes.

They do like their cast bullets.

Boolit Master
    I use a Uberti (imported by Cimmaron) 1873 Winchester clone in 38-40 that I use for Cowboy Action Shooting. I had to have three springs changed since they were way, WAAAAAY too heavy. Other than that, I have had nothing done to it. It is accurate, easy to lever, and nothing has broke yet. I am happy with it.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Ubertis are pretty much the only type of 73 you see in Australia and they are becoming the most popular rifle. I had a bit of trouble with mine at first, but it was nothing to do with the gun, but the short stroking and slicking was taken too far. I now have it running well as it will feed and fire like a machine gun with the right operator.

I have also got a 73 that was made in 1880 (by Winchester of course), close you eyes and it is hard to tell which one you are operating.

We call them U-Beautys in Australia.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Mold

Thank you

To all who replied. I, too, like the Uberti. I have 2 of their cap and ball revolvers and they are indeed beautiful.

Boolit Grand Master

Have the Uberti '73 Short Rifle in 44-40. 20" barrel and get around 1400 fps with BP.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

I forgot to say, I have two U-Beautys, one of the first 1866 saddle ring brass carbines and a 2 1/2 yr old 1873. They are both in 44/40, as are the 1880 vintage 1873 Winchester and my 1910 vintage 1982. PITA in smokless (alright with trail boss), but the duck's guts in Black.

They are not a strong action as the toggles are a bit of a weak link (a very smooth, quick weak link ). Someone has bought out a 44Mag version recently (it looks a bit odd with a recoil pad). I don't know what they have done to make it strong enough.

Don't go hot rodding the 44/40 in a toggle gun, the round don't like it as it is lightly constructed (that's why it is so good with black powder) and will separate and the rifle won't be all that fond of it either. A lot of shooters see that the case is bigger than a 44 mag and try and meet/beat it. Having said that, someone is sure to chime in saying that they drive their 44/40 at warp speed and whoomp all of the 44mags around. For the rest of us, the 44/40 at black powder levels delivers a pretty solid blow with a good cast boolit.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master
    I know there are places out there that have short-stroke kits for the 1873 clone, but I did not have that done to mine. I currently have a short-stroke Marlin Model 62 (and used to own a Model 56). I like the gun, but it feels very different from the conventional lever actions I have used for the last 50+ years (the VERY first gun I owned was a Marlin Model 39A -- and I still have it). I think it would slow me down trying to convert from one to the other.

If you use a short-stroke and ONLY a short-stroke, it probably would be OK, but don't expect to jump from one kind to the other without some relearning.

I find that I mostly use the 1873 Uberti which is short stroked and it works fine. If I ever use the old 92 again, I find I short stroke it occasionally and don't pick up the round.