Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who Has an El Cheapo Supremo Digital Scale?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jim4065 View Post
    I'm a little suspicious of the accuracy claims made on ebay. Ages ago, in a Quantitative Analysis course, I messed up the final by not considering the weight of my fingerprints. How many of us have been trained to get to .001 grain accuracy and are willing to be consistently picky enough to stay there? I know it makes me a lazy #$*&^, but .1 grain seems to be the best I can do on a daily basis.
    the problem here is trying to test scale A( the new electrionic) with scale B( a beam scale) that is plus or minus 0.1.....the math does not work.

yep for most reloading plus or minus a tent if fine..but for an ammo crafter, making target ammo, knowing the that i have five rounds that are 30.3, and five that are 30.6 is alot better than five as 30.1, 30.1, 30.3, 30.3 and 30.4 and the next five as 30.5, 30.6, 30.6, 30.6, 30.7..........

not a biggie for the average guy, but it is to me...
    i do not know anyone that does plus or minus 0.001( the powder granules are bigger than that), i do not do 0.01( my scale is 0.02 ), but i do do 0.04/5.

mike in co
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Boolit Master

I just ran 4 different weight cast boolits across this digital scale. Ten weighed of each.

.314" body .304" nose
    201.00 low
    204.50 high
    202.6 avg

RCBS 180 .309" body .300" nose
    182.74 low
    185.78 high
    184.542 avg

Lee 8mm 170 gr .325"
    166.06 low
    169.94 high
    168.23 avg

These 3 above groups were 3.04 gr, 3.5 gr and 3.8 gr high to low weight.

Lyman 311413 .311" cast in the late 1970s
    173.08 low
    173.88 high
    173.576 avg

that surprised me being so close.

I like this digital scale. It's fast to run through a bunch of boolits like this. I'm in love.

The 10 gram weight standard = 10.001 grams

Dutch

All this monkeying around with the E scale/ check it against a beam scale. Then for crying out loud just use a beam scale abd be done with it.
    There are two theories to arguing with a woman .. . Neither works.

Women always say that giving birth is way more painful than a guy getting kicked in the nuts.There is no way to prove that they are wrong.

But a year or so after giving birth a woman will often say "It would be nice to have another child".

You never hear a guy say, "It would be nice to get kicked in the nuts again".

Boolit Master

I've been following this thread from the beginning and per the original post, has been concentrating on weighing boolets and powder. This is as it should be but my need is somewhat different. I don't have a scale adequate for weighing components for alloying or for mixing lube. Most of the scales I see on ebay are so small that physical size is a constraint. I know for this purpose that just about anything will work but I have a tendency to be sloppy when I tell myself that actual weight is not important.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a scale that will weigh around 20lbs +/- an oz? Like the OP, I don't want to spend a lot.

John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    I've been following this thread from the beginning and per the original post, has been concentrating on weighing boolets and powder. This is as it should be but my need is somewhat different. I don't have a scale adequate for weighing components for alloying or for mixing lube. Most of the scales I see on ebay are so small that physical size is a constraint. I know for this purpose that just about anything will work but I have a tendency to be sloppy when I tell myself that actual weight is not important.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a scale that will weigh around 20lbs +/- an oz? Like the OP, I don't want to spend a lot.

John
    W.TN
    for about 150 or so i bought a 130 lb scale that is .00 lbs and some where around .05 sensitive. portable/rechargeable/electronic/tare function.
    just right for alloy...i am sure you could find a 20-25 lb scale too...i do my alloy in 100-125 lb lots.
    try a google search for it.

mike in co

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr

John
    W.TN

Send a PM to powderburnerr. I bought a mywiegh digital scale from him that goes up to 75 pounds, and has about all the features you might want. It was priced right and he's a great guy to deal with!!

Don

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

Boolit Master
    before you buy anything, look at the accuracy and the sensitivity.
    me thinks a tenth of an oz would be good for what you are doing and maybe half of that for sensitivity.

my big brass scale is .05 of a POUND.....or just under an ounce( a tenth is 1.6oz, half of that is 0.8)....close enough for me as my sales weights are always over min.

mike in co

Has anyone here had any experience with the scale Brian Enos has on his site ? This scale has a 20 yr. warranty on it. Anybody ?

http://www.brianenos.com/store/be.scale.html
    I don't know you....but I have met you a 1000 times

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Xcaliber View Post
    Has anyone here had any experience with the scale Brian Enos has on his site ? This scale has a 20 yr. warranty on it. Anybody ?

http://www.brianenos.com/store/be.scale.html
    ITS STILL only a 0.1 scale, and there is no sensitivity listed.......if sensitivity is 0.1...then its really a 0.19 scale.....so plus or minus .2 in essence....

need more data

mike in co

The Harbor Freight scale is on sale right now for $10. Resolution is .2 grains, so I would not use it for powder. Max weight is 1Kg & it has a count function, so it might be good for other stuff.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

stephen perry

Balance Scale

I learned on an Ohaus 505 scale starting back in 63. It was all I knew until about 5 years ago when I bought a Competition Edge Dynamic digital from Lester Bruno. The digital reads in .1 grn and that's all I need. This powder throwing/scale idea is out in left field. I know because I have shot benchrest since 1977. Nobody had a digital sale back then, most weighed powder and set their throwers at home then adjusted up/down when conditions warranted at the Range. Nobody shoots better groups than benchrest shooters, its their game, 99.9% bolt action rifles. Sorry Mike in Colorado your not what I call a benchrest shooter.

I still have my Ohaus scale carried it in my BR box for 28 years until I got my CED scale, not expensive I bought mine for $110. I have an RCBS 1010 no big deal, a Bonanza balance nice unit, no 123 thank God, don't need the headache of a .001 scale.

Stephen Perry
    Angeles BR

Get a Lee beam scale and get the measurement accurate. I haven't seen any of the "cheapo" digitial that were worth throwing out the window. Plus being INaccurate. You need to be careful where you "go cheap" your scale is not one of them.

Mike
    ooooooow! I hate earth wobble...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by stephen perry View Post
    I learned on an Ohaus 505 scale starting back in 63. It was all I knew until about 5 years ago when I bought a Competition Edge Dynamic digital from Lester Bruno. The digital reads in .1 grn and that's all I need. This powder throwing/scale idea is out in left field. I know because I have shot benchrest since 1977. Nobody had a digital sale back then, most weighed powder and set their throwers at home then adjusted up/down when conditions warranted at the Range. Nobody shoots better groups than benchrest shooters, its their game, 99.9% bolt action rifles. Sorry Mike in Colorado your not what I call a benchrest shooter.

I still have my Ohaus scale carried it in my BR box for 28 years until I got my CED scale, not expensive I bought mine for $110. I have an RCBS 1010 no big deal, a Bonanza balance nice unit, no 123 thank God, don't need the headache of a .001 scale.

Stephen Perry
    Angeles BR
    It's not about benchrest or accuracy. It's about weighing batches of cast boolits quickly. The digital scale does it faster than a beam scale. That's the bottom line.

Dutch

stephen perry

Dutchman

You read allot of things into what I right. You asked for an inexepensive digital scale. I recommended the CED. Whether I use it for benchrest has nothing to do with the fact that it will measure anything with a .1 readout, that means anything Cast.

My benchrest references are just that references that most don't seem to object to. When I put my Cast hat on, and I do have one, I enjoy what I have done since 1963, Cast and shoot bullets. Dutchman do you know how to chew gum and read at the same time I know how just like I know Cast and BR together.

Stephen Perry
    Angeles BR

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Stephen you need to shoot cast in your BR guns for the experience of barrel reaction to different acceleration curves more than anything. You will be surprised at the results. Once you get that "feel" then it becomes much easier to guesstimate which powder for which gun and boolit without regard to what kind of gun it is. ... felix
    felix

stephen perry

Cast in BR Barrel

Felix
    Takes some work to do a little advanced rock throwing in a BR barrel. Guys do it in CBA one of the shooters over there sent me a manilla envelope of shoot results and Fouling Shot articles on Cast BR, nice guy not like the others over there.

I have a Shilen barrel in .222 that came off my LV rifle that I would like to use for Cast work. The barrel has a .246 nk 22" barrel 1-14 twist .880 muzzle. Been a while since I shot this barrel. The action Rem 600 is now in a HV stock so with this LV barrel the gun weighs 12 1/2 lb. For a Range gun this gun should be fun. Everything fits as it should on a BR gun. The stock a Six fits the front rest the trigger Jewell fits the action. The scope a Weaver 36 lets me work inside the circle instead of try to center it. Don't know what to expect with Cast but I'm game. I have a new mold 225 646 and 225 438, 225 415, 225 462. I will try Casting in WW and linotype probably use Unique but I have several powders that are listed as Cast powders. I have no intentions of competing in CBA BR.

Will not speculate on this project just hope I can shoot as well as Harry Pope and other Cast legends. To me Cast is for life. I have shot Cast in my Rem 722 .222 since 1963 always fun always challenging.

Stephen Perry
    Angeles BR

Just keep in mind that for this kind of experimentation, Stephen, it's not about how good you can make the gun shoot, but more about what happens in detail between the choice of components. You need a very stable gun for that analysis, and that means a properly built BR gun. What you learn there will transfer to all kinds of different guns. And, yes, this has nothing to do with winning matches. That is more of a people versus people deal rather than a load versus load (gun vs gun). Some folks can shoot rocks and win the match: David versus Goliath syndrome. ... felix
    felix

Weigh boolits, Mike, not powder, all assuming your cases have been selected. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    Weigh boolits, Mike, not powder, all assuming your cases have been selected. ... felix
    in br ..i weigh it all....the cases are weight sorted, bullets weight sorted ( oh and ogive length)and powder scaled on the mx-123.

all depends on the match for what happens....almost all of my rifle brass is sorted in 50 rd lots. bullets depends on the match....+/- 0.15 out to 1.0 in short range pistol.

was at a 1000yd match today..and in 15-20 winds a guy shot under 4" with a 6 dasher.

mike in co

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123