Load DataWidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: #12 Shot

Boolit Buddy
    I use it in .45 for shotshells. I would LOVE to buy some 50# from you. If all the rattlers in Kansas died, their niche would be filled by bullsnakes and ratsnakes and I would be fine with that. There is a war between them anyway. Its like lamenting the demise of sandburrs. Ace

[QUOTE= Then, about a year ago, one of the magazine writers published an article where he praised the #12 shot head and shoulders above the #9 for snake control. My earlier experience supported his conclusion that #12 is bad medicine for bad snakes. Hope y'all can load up with some of this - it DOES work!

Thin Man[/QUOTE]

I've read that article. That issue is actually up in my bathroom right now. I've done the gas check method but havnt used any #12 shot yet. I need to get some eventually. He used potatoes as a test target. seems to work alot better than those shot capsules
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Grand Master

I have experimented with shot loads for handguns for many years. #12 is MUCH more effective than anything coarser. The reason is simple. The pattern is MUCH more dense because you have much greater numbers of shot in the load.

Understand, this endeavor is a short range proposition at best. At short range, fine shot rules every time!!

If you don't believe me, just weigh equal amounts of shot 7½, 9, and #12. Then count the different sizes. It's an eye opener.

Dale53

Quote Originally Posted by Dale53 View Post
    If you don't believe me, just weigh equal amounts of shot 7½, 9, and #12. Then count the different sizes. It's an eye opener.

Dale53
    I can get more than three times the number of #9 shot in a 357 case as #6 shot. With #9 shot my reload 357 shotshells are small game/bird deadly out to 25-30 feet. I have taken a few sparrows at 15 feet and it did the job. I am preparing for the annual fall rat/mouse safari in my garage.

If you have any #12 to sell I would gladly buy some.

Boolit Grand Master

#12 shot puts a LOT more shot in a handgun load than #9 will. Since a snake is only a menace if it is 10' or closer, the "benefits" of larger shot really don't come into play. However, the shot density of #12 at close range certainly does.

My policy on snakes is to leave them alone if they are far enough away to not be a problem. However, if they are around dwellings and are poisonous, then all bets are off.

I have experimented with shot cartridges in revolvers off and on for years. They are very useful for snake loads but not much useful for even sitting game at anything over 10-15 feet. Of course, if the small game is sitting, then a boolit is the answer. I'm pretty good on sitting rabbits at least to 25 yards. I really can't say I have shot many much over that as it is not common for me to see them (camouflaged as well as they are) much over 25 yards or so. Of course, if I had a rest available (tree or rock pile, etc) then I would have a pretty good chance a good bit further.

I have a TC Contender .410 pistol that is a whole 'nother thing. It patterns about as well as a normal .410 shotgun at 25 yards and will do the job on running rabbits at up to 25 yards or more. It is rather surprising.

Dale53

Boolit Grand Master

mrloring;
    >>>If you have any #12 to sell I would gladly buy some.<<<

Unfortunately, I have no #12 shot on hand at the present time. I have been too cheap to buy any (shipping is what kills it for me).

I would sure like to find someone local who has a few pounds to spare, tho'.

Note: I was once offered some #12 shot in a nice heavy duty bag. I was about to load it when suddenly, "something was wrong in Denmark" (WWII saying). I checked the shot closer and discovered that it was STEEL shot used for "Peening metal". Now that would have certainly done my revolvers a lot of good (NOT!!) So, be careful out there, friends and neighbors!

Dale53

Boolit Master
    I love these old threads that are still around.
    Number 12 shot will make snake burger out of a snake as well as a rat or mouse.
    It is the preferred shot size used in .22 Federal snake shot as well as the Speer shot capsules sold for .38/.357 snakeshot shells.
    One shot kills are usual.

wish I had this with pictures so that it would be clearer
    I want to shot #12
    But I don't know how exactly

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12