MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee Precision
RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knuckle Rap

Boolit Bub

Knuckle Rap

Does wrapping the lever with leather help knuckle rap? Is there any other solution?

I don't have any wrapped levers; it traps moisture and causes rust and I doubt a simple leather wrap would help you. I keep the middle finger out of the lever when target shooting. Don't notice the bump when hunting.

In Remembrance

I was thinking of adding some foam padding to the lever when shooting strong loads in the Guide gun. Even a very firm grip doesn't do it. Good thought about the rust though, but this one is stainless.

I got a Wild West large loop for mine, more so the size of my hands. Never could figerout why they put such small loop on rifle for.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    I keep the middle finger out of the lever when target shooting.
    Ditto +1....It's become a habit now.

The CAS guys like the leather wrap...makes the throw shorter...instant movement with a tight fit.

Jon
    Col 2:13-17

Boolit Buddy
    Wild West Guns makes about the sweetest big loop lever around. MidwayUSA carries them actually. That is the last thing to complete my 1895GS. I have a relative with a .457WWG Master Guide Rifle so I have shot that and my 1895GS with full power loads and the big loop is the answer. Marlin has a big loop version of their gun now, but not sure if you can get the loop as an aftermarket or replacement part.

Boolit Grand Master
    I don't have any trouble with the standard lever- but then again I have slender hands. I would thing the leather might actually make it worse as it makes the room for your finger smaller- despite what passing it might give you.
    A larger lever would be a better idea.

Boolit Buddy
    You can get the big loop from Marlin but only thru a gunsmith.

Tom

Leather Golf glove with the middle finger, index finger, and thumb cut off mid-length so as to not hamper the handling and manipulating of cartridges.

I've used padded raquetball and batting gloves before, but the thin golf glove is the thinnest, and gives sufficient protection.

All of my lever action rifles have leather wraps on them. I just spray the lever with RustGardit, the heavy wax rust preventative, before putting the leather wrap on, and I've yet to get any rusting on any of them.

It's really simple to do. Just cut a piece of soft leather the width of the lever and glue it inside the piece of leather for the outside of the wrap. Make the outside piece a little short of wrapping all the way around to allow for stretching. There is also a grain to leather and it will stretch more in one direction than the other, meaning you should test it before laying it out. Punch the lacing holes along both sides of the leather and then lace it into place, with the laces on the outside of the lever. I use a hangmans noose for finishing it and pull the noose back under the leather and that pulls the loose end of the waxed linen thread back in and there won't be any loose ends or knots.

This makes a smooth, soft wrap for the back of your fingers and once you use one, you'll wonder how you ever got along without it. I've probably done a couple of dozen rifles for other people, plus the dozen I've done for myself and my wife.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    All of my lever action rifles have leather wraps on them. I just spray the lever with RustGardit, the heavy wax rust preventative, before putting the leather wrap on, and I've yet to get any rusting on any of them.

It's really simple to do. Just cut a piece of soft leather the width of the lever and glue it inside the piece of leather for the outside of the wrap. Make the outside piece a little short of wrapping all the way around to allow for stretching. There is also a grain to leather and it will stretch more in one direction than the other, meaning you should test it before laying it out. Punch the lacing holes along both sides of the leather and then lace it into place, with the laces on the outside of the lever. I use a hangmans noose for finishing it and pull the noose back under the leather and that pulls the loose end of the waxed linen thread back in and there won't be any loose ends or knots.

This makes a smooth, soft wrap for the back of your fingers and once you use one, you'll wonder how you ever got along without it. I've probably done a couple of dozen rifles for other people, plus the dozen I've done for myself and my wife.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    do you have any pictures for those of us that don't follow directions well?

Boolit Master

Outback Queensland, North of the Tropic of Capricorn
    Fred, +1 on the photos.

I only have small hands and I cannot understand why Marlin don't put a larger loop on their rifles. I have a 1894SS and even with the heavy loads I have tried I don't have any problem with my knuckles getting rapped while the rifle is in recoil. I do have trouble when shooting rapid fire in competition and usually finish the day with some swollen knuckles.
    WHEN IN DOUBT, USE MORE CLOUT!

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Old Goat! I'll see what those big loops cost from Marlin through my local gunsmith. If they are considerably cheaper than the WWG version, I may get one. If only a bit cheaper, I will use my dealer account at Midway and get one there. A couple yrs ago Jim West offered me one really cheap at SHOT Show. I SO wish I had had the cash on hand!! The hot chick that offered me a Timney trigger for my 6.5Grendel AR was even more tempting, but that had little to do with the price drop she was offering...

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlymaple42 View Post
    Thanks Old Goat! I'll see what those big loops cost from Marlin through my local gunsmith. If they are considerably cheaper than the WWG version, I may get one. If only a bit cheaper, I will use my dealer account at Midway and get one there. A couple yrs ago Jim West offered me one really cheap at SHOT Show. I SO wish I had had the cash on hand!! The hot chick that offered me a Timney trigger for my 6.5Grendel AR was even more tempting, but that had little to do with the price drop she was offering...
    Now don't quote me on this CM but somewhere I read the Marllin BLs are like $70and the WWGs are over $100.

Tom

Boolit Mold
    i'm not the smartest guy around but why couldn't you take a factory lever and cut the front strap off, replace it with some barstock to make your own big loop. I'm sure someone with more skills than me can make a nice one, i'm just to cheap to spend the money for an aftermarket on.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    The reason most use the leather wrap is to shorten the stroke by a poofteenth of an inch, which helps the guun to cycle faster.

Have a look at the lever, the edges on the recent ones are a bit sharpish and rounding them off may be a help. I also find that if I don't try and squeeze so many fingers inside the loop, I get beat up less. The big loops will soften the blow so to speak, but may slow you down. Whether that is a problem or not you will have to decide.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Buddy

My second finger seems to take a pounding when I shoot a straight grip lever action from a bench. I think the 405 WCF actually looks forward it.

Boolit Buddy
    Old Goat, the WWG ones are like $150 I think. Good to hear the Marlin's are only $70 or so!

I've been gone to a big match this past weekend and just got back, after shooting pretty poorly, by the way. I don't have a clue how to post pictures to a forum. I'm a shooter, not a computer person.

The leather wraps really cushion the back of the fingers and make the lever action rifle more fun to shoot. I just bought another one, and haven't wrapped the lever yet. When I took it out the other day, it wasn't fun shooting it, particularly fast.

Most of the SASS vendors offer leather wraps for levers for about $12.00 to $15.00. They're easy to make, but it takes about half an hour to cut one out and to really lace it into place properly.

I might be able to take some pictures and e-mail them to someone smarter than me on the computer who can post them. I have figured out how to e-mail pictures...........

I load for 31 different calibers, but can't figure out how to post pictures. Now isn't that something??

Hope this helps.

Fred

Boolit Buddy
    That's ok Fred, I once built installed a Murphy bed and kitchen cabinets for a couple in Boston who couldn't take a damn bedframe apart. He was a heart surgeon and she was a brain surgeon I think!!! It took me about 45seconds to get the bed frame apart, four taps with a hammer, which they had tried to use already. Amazing...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast