Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: New ingot molds

New ingot molds

I am going to cast bullits for the first time. I would like recommendations on how to prepare an ingot mold prior to casting?

Also can I use candle flame to blacken a new bullet mold?

Also can I use something else in a mold instead of blackening it, like beeswax in preparing it for casting?

I would appreciate these answers very much.

Le Loup Solitaire

New ingot molds

Hi and welcome to the forum. Ingot molds do not need to be prepared ahead of time particularly if they are made out of aluminum or cast iron. Some smelters like to rust their iron ingot molds as they believe that doing so will prevent anything poured into them from sticking. Lead does not stick to aluminum or cast iron anyway. So-called muffin pans sold cheaply often are coated with tin and lead sticks in them; this then requires a lot of pounding and prying to get the ingots out and it usually destroys the pan in the process.
    Ingot molds do not have to be smoked. Do not smoke a mold with a candle flame. The wax contains a hydrocarbon which is grease/oil like and will cause wrinkles on the bullets. Beeswax is also not recommended. You also then have to clean the stuff out of the mold cavity in order to get good bullets. Use a wooden match to smoke cavities or else a butane lighter. Other than smoking which is recommended by Lee for their alumiinum molds, cavities usually do not require "blackening". Iron molds are often "blued"...if not, then they seem to get blued just by being used. You did not mention which molds you are using, but there is a product available thru a vendor on this forum, called Bullplate, it is quite popular and recommended by many forum members. You can check it out at the bottom of the page in Bullshop. Keep asking questions; nobody gets tired of them and someone will always answer and help you. Good luck & enjoy casting. LLS

Plaz, Le Loup pretty much covered the bases on prepping in his post, but if you haven't already gotten molds you might take a look a Walmart. One of the members here wrote about condiment cups that sold for 97 cents for four of them. I tried them and they are great. They are SS and with WW weigh approximately 1.2 lb, just perfect for my LEE 20 lb pot. The ingots fall right out whether water cooled or air cooled and they stack together so less room is needed for storage. I've got a Lyman ingot mold that is still NIB and will probably remain that way.

Boolit Master
    Welcome Plaz. There is a wealth of information to be found on this forum. As mentioned above, you did not say what kind of bullet mold you have. Aluminum molds do have some traits different from steel molds and I know that Lee suggests smoking their molds. I have found that not to work well for me. With proper preparation and technique I have found smoking to be unneeded. And a smoked mold will drop a bullet of smaller diameter which can often be a bad thing. There are many posts to be found on this forum on preparing Lee molds if that is what you have.
    Again, welcome and keep the questions coming.

The ingots fall right out whether water cooled or air cooled and they stack together so less room is needed for storage. I've got a Lyman ingot mold that is still NIB and will probably remain that way.
    Why would you water drop ingots? The are going back into a pot & BHN will revert back to the base metal.
    With iron & most aluminum, no prep of the ingot mold is needed.

Boolit Bub
    Go to Wally world and search the household goods for stainless steel condiment cups. They're 4 for 97 cents.
    Drop about a 1lb lump that nests and stacks pretty well, they also drop free when flipped.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    Why would you water drop ingots? The are going back into a pot & BHN will revert back to the base metal.
    With iron & most aluminum, no prep of the ingot mold is needed.
    Fred, I have put the base of an ingot mold in water 1/2 way up when smelting in the summer. It seemed to help cooling. That may be what he referred to.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Fred, I have put the base of an ingot mold in water 1/2 way up when smelting in the summer. It seemed to help cooling. That may be what he referred to.
    Probably. I do the same with my muffin molds. Cools them so I can de-ingot sooner.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Quote Originally Posted by plaz View Post
    I am going to cast bullits for the first time. I would like recommendations on how to prepare an ingot mold prior to casting?

Also can I use candle flame to blacken a new bullet mold?

Also can I use something else in a mold instead of blackening it, like beeswax in preparing it for casting?

I would appreciate these answers very much.
    Rust works well.
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

Boolit Master
    I am not a big fan of letting my ingot molds rust. Reason is that rust will become embedded in you ingots, rust will then get into your casting pot. Yes Yes I know it floats on lead but you WILL get some in your valve, causing drips, and eventually in your boolits. I don't do anything special to keep it from rusting but should it do so I bead blast it before using and then clean it well.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Master

The condiment cups works great. My last batch of WW ingots were with the condiment cups and it is cool to watch them go from shiney silver to a bronzish color. They drop ingots out with out so much as a bump, just turn the cup over.
    Good, Cheap, Fast: Pick two.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Grand Master
    One of the long butane grill lighters works very well for smoking a mold cavity.

Robert

Welcome
    While a lot of people like the condiment cups I prefer my ear corn mold. it's cast iron and will produce seven ingots when used. Also you can get it from agri supply for around 8 dollars which in my opinion was the way to go.