RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lead shot as lead source

Boolit Mold

lead shot as lead source

Hi all

Brand new to casting and was wondering about using magnum shot for casting 452 LSWC. Have 50 lbs from shotshell reloading. Did a search for lead shot and didn't find much info about using this as a source of lead for LSWC's Am I missing something?

Ay thoughts will be welcome

MGK#

Boolit Master

MGK3
    I've never used shot (exclusively) for casting, BECAUSE.
    Some where in the vast library of boolet casting there is an explanation of WHY the industry uses arsinic in large doses (how much is large?) to manufacture shot.
    It is because arsinic reduses the surface tension of the lead and facilitates in making ROUND shot more round.
    This is not a feature we boolet casters need. We like nice sharp edges on our bases and lube grooves.
    Arsinic has a good quality in that it helps in the water hardening of lead(tempering?). But only in very small amounts. Fractions of a percent.
    If you must try it, be sure to experiment w/ a very small batch. Then you can blend it UP to salvage it should it be tainted.
    Pepe Ray
    The way is ONLY through HIM.

Boolit Mold
    Pepe Ray

The bag says something about arsenic, but in all the reading I have done on bullet casting, this is the first time it was clearly spelled out.

THanks

MGK3

Boolit Master
    My understanding on this is that the arsinic actualy increases the surface tension. Increased surface tension makes it more dificult to get well filled sharp edjes on driving bands. Not imposible to make shootable boolits just more dificult. Just the sort of thing that may make a beginer turn away in frustration.
    Some of the first monstrocities I made nearly 30 years ago shot perty dern good in spite of thier ugliness! Member a quiter never wins and a winner never quits.
    BIC/BS

Boolit Mold
    Bullshop

Any effective ways to deal with the arsenic, or would the work / pain outway the reward of using the lead shot? Trying to find used WW around chicago isn't an easy proposition. Most tire shops are the chain stores and all have contracts with scrape outfits for disposal or so I have been told by the 6 places I stopped at. Any other good sources for lead to cast?

Please bear with, newbee questions.
    Thanks

Boolit Master
    while lead shot can be used to cast decent bullets(bhn 13) it is better used as a hardening agent when heat treating your bullets. If it's all you got though, use it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Shotshell shot seems like a real expensive metal source when contrasted with wheelweights. Just my take on the matter.

This reminds me--only 37 more shopping days until dove season, and I have a BIG box of 12, 28, and 410 empties to re-fill. It's always something.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Mold
    Deputy Al
    Expensive compared to "free", if you can find "Free" WW. WW around chicago are very hard to find, seems the scrapers have already been there. I can still get 25lb of shot for $20. Again I'm a newbe and looking for answers.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MGK3
    Deputy Al
    Expensive compared to "free", if you can find "Free" WW. WW around chicago are very hard to find, seems the scrapers have already been there. I can still get 25lb of shot for $20. Again I'm a newbe and looking for answers.

Thanks
    Find a shotgun range that has mined their fields lately. The reclaimed shot is separated, cleaned, and sold for about one-fifth the cost of new shot. It already has some antimony in it, all you need do is add about 2% tin when you melt it down. By the way, the amount of arsenic in shot is minute, less than 1% if I remember correctly. It is not a consideration in making bullets although its presence is an advantage in small calibers. It makes the lead 'tougher', I believe the engineering term is 'sheer strength'.
    Last edited by Scrounger; 07-24-2006 at 01:11 PM.

Boolit Buddy

Thumbs up

I can buy reclaimed shot for $9.00 for a 25 pound bag at my local trap and skeet club.
    There are some articles that I printed out off the old Sixgunner.com by Paco Kelly who is a great fan of shooting lead. His recipe for using shot was 18 pounds of shot and a one pound roll of 95/5 percent lead free solder. I see no reason why using the whole 25 pound bag with that roll of solder wouldn't make a decent bullet metal. IIRC, the amount of arsenic in shot is only .05 percent, not a heck of a lot, but it's a case of a little goes a long way. I don't know if Kelly's recipes is still on Sixgunner or not. Maybe so, maybe not.
    I usually add the shot to my wheelweight, linotype mix in small amounts to get that little bit of arsenic into the mix when I want to heat treat the bullets. Usualy one -third cup has worked well for me.
    Paul B.
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS AN OXYMORON PROMULGATED BY MORONS.

Boolit Mold
    Paul B

I checked Sixgunnerand all the old articles appear to be gone. But thanks for the insight about mixxing it with solder.

MGK#

Boolit Master
    MGK3
    Dont frett your situation is far from hopless. As others have said all you need do is add about 1 to 2 % tin and you will have a fine casting alloy that will quench harden to harder than wood pecker lips. The tin does relieve the surface tension and allows the alloy to flow freely to fill out nicely squaired edjes.
    I bought 500 lbs of reclaimed shot at .10 per lb. just because it already has antimony alloyed in. In the past 18 months the price of antimony has about trippled.
    I have been getting my tin from John Walters at $7.00 delivered. I have used other sources over the years but have questioned the purity. What I get from John is what I pay for. Most here know of John for his fiber wads for BPC but he is also a good source for tin and you can tell him I sent you.
    Keep the faith brother caster!
    BIC/BS

Boolit Mold
    Bullshop

That's the type of info I was looking for and I'll give John a call

Thanks

MGK3

"Harder than woodpecker lips".....Love it!

Finer than frog's hair!

Dennis

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    I can buy reclaimed shot for $9.00 for a 25 pound bag at my local trap and skeet club.
    There are some articles that I printed out off the old Sixgunner.com by Paco Kelly who is a great fan of shooting lead. His recipe for using shot was 18 pounds of shot and a one pound roll of 95/5 percent lead free solder. I see no reason why using the whole 25 pound bag with that roll of solder wouldn't make a decent bullet metal. IIRC, the amount of arsenic in shot is only .05 percent, not a heck of a lot, but it's a case of a little goes a long way. I don't know if Kelly's recipes is still on Sixgunner or not. Maybe so, maybe not.
    I usually add the shot to my wheelweight, linotype mix in small amounts to get that little bit of arsenic into the mix when I want to heat treat the bullets. Usualy one -third cup has worked well for me.
    Paul B.
    I also use just straight shot when wanting a good hardened bullet that is still ductile and not prone to shattering or shearing when expandining. The antimony is primarily the hardener with the arsenic added. When cast hot and water quenched from the mould BHN is 14-16 depending on the % of antimony. This translates to a bullet that can be driven to 2000 fps with very good hunting accuracy and excellen expansion properties. I use this alloy for hunting bullets in magnum revolver loads using GC bullets at 1400-1500 fps 429244 and 358156.

I also use it with .30 cal and 8mm HPs with the HP stem shortened. Lyman's 311041 HP and 323471 HP are excellent performers with shot alloy. Expansion is much smoother than with an alloy containing tin. The lead/tin/antimony alloys shatter or shear at rifle velocities.

As stated I cast them hot (800-850) and drop them into cold water right from the mould. The bullets usually have a light frost all over. While there is a little more rejection rate fill out is not really the problem. Casting to fast and smearing the top of the mould and bottom of the srue plate with lead are.

I'd also suggest that for just regular shooting bullets add the tin and cast at a normal rate. This will give you good bullets.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

Put an ad in the paper and swap that shot 3:1 for wheelweight alloy. Maybe 4:1. . .

I have ~300 lbs of used shot, and it's pure lead with 1% to 3% arsenic added for that roundness factor. I ONLY melt it outdoors. It casts easily, and the bullets are fine. Just soft.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for all the great info. This has certainly helped me out. I've ordered the pot and moulds, etc not just have to wait til it gets here.

MGK3

West Coast Shot uses about 6-7% Antimony and only a half a percent of arsenic. (from what I found out)

Add to that a pound of 50:50 lead:tin and you get a nice 92:6:2 alloy.

Price for that alloy will be about $1 per pound... If you find a group of shotshell loaders, you can usually get in on a deal for some magnum shot and get it for $15-$16 a bag of 25 lbs. (going rate right now is $20 a bag of 25 lbs)

If its all you have access to, then, by all means.. use it and enjoy!!!

Boolit Buddy
    One question re: shot.

How exactly do the clubs reclaim the shot ?

I have access to a shotgun only range that has been looking for a way to reclaim the lead to get the local tree huggers off their case.

I can have all the recovered shot I want for free, I just don't see myself on hands and knees with tweezers and a magnifying glass.

If you want to find some ww's, take a road trip out in the country for a day or two. Plan the trip around something you have planned. Take a few buckets and hit every tire shop you see.

I've done this once or twice and scored more than enough to make it worth my efforts.

Good luck in your search

BigSlick
    ________
    LovelyWendie99
    Last edited by BigSlick; 05-03-2011 at 08:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucks Owin
    "Harder than woodpecker lips".....Love it!

Finer than frog's hair!

Dennis
    and softer than a silkworm's pecker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast