Snyders JerkyRepackboxTitan ReloadingWideners
Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: Pewter soldiers- Really pewter?

Boolit Mold

Pewter soldiers- Really pewter?

I picked up +/- 60 toy soldiers at a garage sale recently. Most were still in the box. The box is marked as : Napolean's Army - The Old World Pewter Collection from a company called Novelino. They were made in Indonesia. They appear fairly recently made and not very collectible/valuable. Anybody ever run across these? Are they really pewter? They feel too heavy maybe. I am thinking that they may be more lead than anything else. Is there any fairly easy way to test what they are? Any insights would be appreciated.

NewGuy,
    Indonesia is one of the main producers of tin. So, one would be inclined to think it's probably the real deal.

There are any number of ways to approach an answer to your question, but perhaps the most direct is for you to alloy some 'pewter' soldiers into your base lead at ratio of 2% pewter. If you get a very nice, pourable alloy with excellent fill-out and reduced melting temp, you may reasonably conclude that the predominant component the the pewter is indeed tin.

Ultimately, most folks treat yardsale pewter as though it were essentially pure tin, so alloy your soldiers as though they were tin and you'll get an immediate answer on the lead-pouring utility of your purchase. Good luck.

Boolit Master

NG:
    I have read,(on this forum) that pewter weighs 70% of what lead weighs. So, it may seem heavy as to what one would THINK tin would weigh. I have not had any expieriance with the tin soldiers, but I keep all of the St Vincent De Pauls and Good Will stores in my area, relieved of their pewter items if I can get it for the right price.
    Jack

Boolit Buddy
    The density of tin is 7.0 grams per cubic centimeter while lead is 11.0. A better test would be it's melting point. If it starts to melt at about 450F then it is tin. Zinc would not melt till its above 800F.

Also, tin is very mandible. If you can physically bend the pieces with your hands, it's tin. Zinc is much harder. Also try tapping two together. Tin will give a dull lumping sound while harder zinc will give you a more metallic ring.

Good find, congratulations.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by kawalekm View Post
    The density of tin is 7.0 grams per cubic centimeter while lead is 11.0. A better test would be it's melting point. If it starts to melt at about 450F then it is tin. Zinc would not melt till its above 800F.

Also, tin is very mandible. If you can physically bend the pieces with your hands, it's tin. Zinc is much harder. Also try tapping two together. Tin will give a dull lumping sound while harder zinc will give you a more metallic ring.

malleable.

Mandible is your jaw bone.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the insights.

Boolit Buddy

Also, tin is very malleable. If you can physically bend the pieces with your hands, it's tin. Zinc is much harder. Also try tapping two together. Tin will give a dull lumping sound while harder zinc will give you a more metallic ring.