Titan ReloadingWidenersLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: building a brass catcher

Boolit Grand Master

building a brass catcher

I want to build a brass catcher similar to this one:

http://www.cm-machine.bigstep.com/generic.html;$sessionid$5Z5PF3QAAAEN3WGIHUUUTIWYZA 4S1PX0?pid=8

I plan to make the frame out of PVC pipe of appropriate size. Has anyone on here made one?

My present problem is trying to locate some mesh for the bag. The ad mentions polyester mesh. I have seen one of these and the mesh is quite heavy and rather stiff.

Any help will be appreciated.

Dale53
    Last edited by Dale53; 07-24-2006 at 12:47 AM.

Boolit Master
    I thought about building one for my 1911, but my weapon ejects brass in any of 360* at random.
    Some where between here and there.....

Boolit Master
    Dale: can't make the link work so my suggestion may not be appropriate. Shade cloth is a fairly light mesh material and is readily available from Home Depot /Lowes/OSH. Duckiller

Banned
    redneck,

You pistol should eject in about the same area except for the last round, they fly different. Also on Gold Cups they relieve part of the ejection window opening in the slide and also lower that horizatal bottom part for better ejection. Mine will throw the brass in pretty a pile in the same location. My AR15 really throws brass in a neat little pile. They say for military use the weapon should really throw the empties all over the place and far, having something to do when the enemy tries to locate where you were shooting from they won't get a good idea of where your were position. I'm not talking about spotting you, I'm talking about after and they investigate the area you were in.

Joe

Boolit Master
    mine is a milspec springer that has the lowered and flaired ejection port.
    Some where between here and there.....

44woody

brass catcher

down here in Florida we use a shrimp net and the bottom of a free standing lamp just adjust it to where it catches the brass 44Woody

Banned
    redneck,

All I can say then is that your ejector and extractor aren't tuned right.

Joe

I used 1/2" EMT (electrical conduit) with mosquito netting, and set it on two or four milk crates. 4'H x 3'W with 1'deep L as a base. The cases collected in the bottom of the L. Used it for a Mini 14 and several 9mm pistols. Sold the Ruger and traded the pistols so I gave it to a friend for his 1911's. That was twenty years ago and it still gets used twice a week.
    Born OK the first time.

Boolit Master

Smile Brass Catcher and Sun Shade

I bought a pop up 10' x 10' sunshade canopy that was on sale for $50 at Big 5 sporting goods here in Las Vegas. Today it is 112 in the shade and hotter in the sun today. I bought the canopy to keep me cool on the range. Then I thought why not hang down a sheet/blanket etc on the eject side of the canopy with clothespins? It worked perfectly. One whole side of my canopy has the sheet hanging down to the ground and some protrudes about a foot or two into the shaded area. My Ruger P90 tosses the .45's against the ceiling or the sheet and all the cases end up on the sheet near the L formed by the vertical to the horizontal sheet. The 9MM cases and the 380 ACP's also find a home. The brass is kept clean; no sand. I don't step on them and instead of a 30 to 45 minute bending, stooping and cussing session at the end of my range time I spend 5 minutes putting it all in a bucket. Then the remaining 5 mins I spend taking down the sunshade and loading up for the trip home. Best $50 I ever spent. No more sore back, sore knees and wasted time.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Master
    Dale; Use a fishing net, just make sure the holes are small enough for the caliber you want to catch. I had one made but I used 3/8 heavy walled alum tubing and threaded the net on. I have a CMM brass catcher now. There really nice.

Adam

Boolit Buddy

Buckeye source for netting

There is a place in Toledo (Jann's Netcraft) that stocks a variety of netting for making your own landing nets. (http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/bulk-netting) Lots of other fishing stuff too.

Trapshooter

Boolit Grand Master

I made a much simpler bench top net for rifle with the same sort of PVC frame you are considering. I got my netting from http://www.nylonnet.com.

I used the ACE 24 pound knotless with a 1/4 inch mesh.

A pic of my net:

A 10 foot length of 1/2 inch PVC, 6 elbows and 2 T's. Lace the net on with some nylon string.

Boolit Bub
    You can always use a hessian sack tacked to a wooden frame.
    Works perfect on our range

Boolit Grand Master

To all:
    This is what I ended up with:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=19356

Dale53

Boolit Mold

Build a Brass Catcher

An easy to make Brass Catcher:
    1 Each 10'X1/2" PVC Pipe (Lowes) $ 1.72/ each
    1 Each 1/2" X1/2" PVC Tee (Lowes) $ 0.28/ each
    4 Each 1/2" PVC Elbow (Lowes) $ 0.28/ each
    1 Each 24"X36" Nyon Laundry Bag (Bed Bath & Beyond) $ 4.99/each
    1 Each Wood With Hole Drilled For Base

Cut PVC :
    1 21" Top
    2 10" Bottom
    2 28" Sides
    1 23" My Be Used For Base Riser
    Attach Tee Between 10" Bottom Pieces, Attach Elbows And Form Frame, Tee IS Facing Down.
    Slide Frame Into Laundry Bag, With Tee At Open End Of Bag.

This Makes A Conevant Way To Carry To Range And Also A Way Carry Targets