RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: 480 Ruger Mold

Boolit Buddy

480 Ruger Mold

Looking for a 480 Ruger Mold to cast a bullet of approximately 400 grains with Gas Check installed. Tangential Ogive design, with about an 80% Meplate, and a single Lube Groove.
    No luck finding this as a standard off the shelf mold. Really cannot believe Lee does not make one like this. Basicly a larger version of the .429 / 310 Gas Check Mold.

Looking at Mountain Mold at the moment.

Opinions, advice, experiance with Mountain Mold. Other options for a mold like the one discribed..

Boolit Master
    Here is a thread about MM's

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=80840

Dan does a great job over at MM's and turn around time as been pretty good lately at about a month.

a search at the top will help out as well. As far as commercial molds you are limited since you are after a Gas Check. You may want to check out Veral Smith at LBT has he may have something in that arrangment........if he doesn't he can make it as well.

Perhaps like you, I searched for a 476-400gc mold when I got my 480. It may be that LEE does not make a 476-400 gc design because the 476-400-RF has a very long bearing surface and an exceptionally thick base band. Take a close look at that bullet-- as in, carefully study the pic on the LEE website-- before searching much further and paying a whole lot more for something that is not likely to be more accurate. Cast from quenched ww alloy, there is no need for a gc on that bullet.

The LEE 400 has proved to be very accurate for a large number of 475 cal shooters. Adding a gc to that design would be 'gilding the lily'. It works extremely well as-is. Good luck.

Banned

ballistic cast makes a couple differnt molds like that. i perticularly like there 420 lfngc

In Remembrance

I have the Lee 476-400 mould and see no need for a gas check. I considered the lighter mould but wanted to avoid gas checks if possible. 21 gr. H-110 is giving great accuracy and plenty of penetration. Just for grins I hollow pointed some of them and will try to shoot them this week end.