Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackboxReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MiHec's 9mm HP 125 gn Cramer style

Boolit Buddy
    Sorry I forgot to add that. I use lyman #2 and use 6.8 grains of unique and seat to the front edge of the front drive band. I shoot pretty good until the command FUEGO is called out, but I am starting to get the nerves in check.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jimmeyjack View Post
    Sorry I forgot to add that. I use lyman #2 and use 6.8 grains of unique and seat to the front edge of the front drive band. I shoot pretty good until the command FUEGO is called out, but I am starting to get the nerves in check.
    FUEGO? Where the heck are you? Mexico?
    Yep, it's a mental game too. I have found that when I go in thinking that I don't have to perform all that well, I'll do better than I expected to. I dunno, it's just a game that I have to play with my subconscious.

EW

Boolit Buddy
    Haha I might as well be, its California. The match director likes to do it "Old school" and with the public shooting there too its less confusing.

Boolit Bub
    got mine good looking mold pins fit good i'll be casting and loading this week. thanks for agreat mold.

Mine came in last week. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet, unfortunately. Maybe after I get some of the garden replanted and a couple of other things done I'll have a few minutes free.
    Machinists do it with precision.

Miha, I love the hp pin added to this 9mm buy. My finished bullets look beautiful. The hp is uniform and looks perfectly centered. Will the top punch hp pin be useful with the 380 mould or will that come with the extra pin also?
    Last edited by hicard; 05-05-2010 at 09:06 AM.
    This country has gone to hell but now there is hope for us.

Just returned from the range today. Had to try out the new 125gr HP
    My load was 5.6grs of AA #5, sized to .356 (My P228 likes that size), OAL was 1.126
    Was shooting off hand at 10 yards. I didn't think I did to bad for a 60 year old. Target is a 2 1/2" circle
    11 shots. Had similar results with my PT 92 (It likes them .357) Really like this mold!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5122.jpg  
    Last edited by putteral; 05-04-2010 at 03:06 PM.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by hicard View Post
    Miha, I love the hp pin added to this 9mm buy. My finished bullets look beautiful. The hp is uniform and looks perfectly centered. Will the top punch up pin be useful with the 380 mould or will that come with the extra pin also?
    With .380 mold you also get two top punches.....

.......man I'm like honey and bread
    www.mp-molds.com
    --------------------------------------
    If you want to win, you must not lose

Boolit Master

Pictures 124HP

I loaded some 12 BHN with 4.2 BE/1.125" and a light crimp. I didn't take time to set up the chrono, just wanted to fire these babies.

http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/.../9mm124HP1.jpg

http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/.../9mm124HP2.jpg

http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/...c/9mm124HP.jpg

Collected a few that were in the soft sand berm behind the backer boards.
    EW
    PS: These were from a 9mm XD. The 0.357 were the perfect size and they were lubed with Lar's Carnuba Red.
    Last edited by Edubya; 05-04-2010 at 05:35 PM. Reason: PS

Boolit Master
    Got mine on Tuesday, and as usual it's just a delight to look at, I am sure it will cast as good as it looks.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

ive got a major problem with this mold !!!!!!! after getting home this evening from my 12 day work week ! i had the hot plate turned up the lead was up to temp and i had the new mihec mold in hand......... but i couldnt do it !!!! i could not for the life of me put it on the hot plate !! this thing is a work of art. could someone cast me some and send to me ??? ill try again tomorrow i guess ! very nice work Mr mihec very nice indeed . keep in mind this is the first mold that cost me more than 20 bucks...... so im very impressed. seriously, i got in too late to work with it tonight, i got something else on my mind at the moment..ill get to it in the am....thank you sir......bill

Boolit Master

Don't worry jixxerbill, it will look just as good, maybe better after you have cast 500. Then after you have shot a few of them, it even starts looking better.
    EW

For a little while I hesitated also there jixxerbill , but took some pictures of it and went to work with it.
    Now it's fair to say this is Miha's best work yet that I have received.
    The quality is better than the previous works and it proved out today as I put it thru it's paces , once up to temp the boolits came out in excellent condition after the usual first rejects and in operation the mold functions were next to effortless .
    This is the first hollow point mold that dropped by it self on a consistent basis .....no whacking the handle at all !!! ... what more could you ask for ??? .....
    Maybe the smaller mass holds the heat in the pins better some how ? , don't know for sure but it works great.
    All I did to it before I started was spray some brake cleaner on it and went to work... what a treat !!
    Any how I'll stop my ranting on here , and say "THANK YOU MIHA ! "
    diggerl

Boolit Master

Be sure to post some after shot info. I couldn't find any load data for for this round in any of my books. I just looked at all of 'em and took a wag. Five point 0 of Bullseye worked for me, but I'm sure that there are better and will try some others. For my next trick, I'm trying some .38 in my 642. It will be Monday before I can get to the range. I'll report on it as soon as I can.
    I cast the first lot with 15 lbs WW and 5 lbs of Linotype (about 13bhn). I sized these with a .357 sizer and Lars's Carnuba Red. They were good in the 9mm XD9. I didn't get the chronograph reading on them though.
    EW

Just a thought as things go along here....
    A while back , Meha contracted out for his work or something along those lines ???...used somebody else's ?
    Now as he has his own machine the details and quality have improved greatly or am I just seeing things so to speak ?
    With those thoughts in mind , some day down the road , would like to see the 150 gr .402 again some day...
    Have enough on the plate at the moment any way....am on the list for the .359 designed by 45 2.1 and Looking on the list we have good size group on that one and getting larger.
    digger

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    Just a thought as things go along here....
    A while back , Meha contracted out for his work or something along those lines ???...used somebody else's ?
    Now as he has his own machine the details and quality have improved greatly or am I just seeing things so to speak ?
    With those thoughts in mind , some day down the road , would like to see the 150 gr .402 again some day...
    Have enough on the plate at the moment any way....am on the list for the .359 designed by 45 2.1 and Looking on the list we have good size group on that one and getting larger.
    digger
    Right.
    Before I was working in my friends shop (the molds I was doing were O.K.). But later on I contracted someone (HG#503 disaster). That was the point I saw I need my own machine. The rest is history, they say.
    www.mp-molds.com

The results speak for them selves Miha , just did some more just now and the mold is still a little to hot to handle..... so much for shining every thing up for a picture , your doing great ... thank you
    Last edited by Digger; 04-30-2011 at 07:33 PM.

I finally got to use my mold last thursday. I cast a bunch of bullets, but even at 800+ degrees, I had problems getting the mold to fill out properly. My alloy is wheelweights with enough tin added for 2% total tin content. I think it's going to need more tin. I'm also getting a bit of flash around the hp on the side the pins are on. That said, the boolits are round.

Also, is it normal for the pins to "snap" into place? It seems like they don't want to go fully into the proper position without some coaxing. My RRR handles fit perfectly(in case anyone is wondering if the fine RRR handles will work on Miha's molds).

Good job Miha, you really are a fine craftsman.
    Machinists do it with precision.

Boolit Master
    I was having trouble with fill out as well, even after a dozen or so pours. I was completely out of tin. I had read a few discussions about pressure pouring (casting?). I had nothing to lose so I gave it a shot. Perfect boolits right off the bat!

After I cast a box worth, I decided to try out the same technique on the Mihec 45 hp mold. Even with tin this mold had produced very slightly rounded lube groove edges part way around, both cav's. First pour produced better boolits with no additional tin. I cast a box full of the 45's. I'm pumped!

At this point I was feeling down right cocky and brave, so I grabbed the 6 cav Lee that had been sitting on the hot plate. This one had been freshly machined to remove the beveled base. I have yet to get what I want out of a Lee mold, but this time was much closer. First pour and not a single reject. I made a bunch of them as well. I figure one strip of Beagling tape will get this puppy right where I want it.

Lee 20lb bottom pour with dial on 7 (or was it 7.5?). Sorry no thermometer yet.
    Straight ww's.
    All molds preheated on a hotplate.
    BTW, the Bullplate is as nice as everyone says. I just placed an order for 3 more bottles (along with some speed green), so I'll never run out!
    Last edited by gefiltephish; 05-11-2010 at 06:37 AM.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by machinisttx View Post
    I finally got to use my mold last thursday. I cast a bunch of bullets, but even at 800+ degrees, I had problems getting the mold to fill out properly. My alloy is wheelweights with enough tin added for 2% total tin content. I think it's going to need more tin. I'm also getting a bit of flash around the hp on the side the pins are on. That said, the boolits are round.

Also, is it normal for the pins to "snap" into place?

They will break in

It seems like they don't want to go fully into the proper position without some coaxing. My RRR handles fit perfectly(in case anyone is wondering if the fine RRR handles will work on Miha's molds).

Good job Miha, you really are a fine craftsman.

P.s. don't forget to lube the leading pins
    www.mp-molds.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast