Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2Load DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Repackbox

Thread: 30 WCF load

Boolit Mold

30 WCF load

OK......my first post........I have been following all of you for some months now and have profitted greatly from your knowledge and experience. From your influences, I am now casting for 357, 44 ( special and mag), 45 Colt, and 30 WCF.

Last week I ordered and received a Lyman mold 311041 and it casts beautifully from the start. I sized and loaded 50 rounds using the following receipt.....

173 gr. fpgc over 27 grains of Alliant RE7. I plan to send these through four different 30-30's.

Does any of you have experience with this load?

I am thrilled to be a part of a group such as can be found here.

Boolit Master
    you aint the only one excited to here, spend quite a bit time here myself 2- 3 hr. a day to exact, my wife hates it. but we take turns on the puter. good to hear your castin'. lot's of fun. but i'm not sure bout that 30-30 load. cause i use 4895, or unique works lovely with boolits.

According to Quickload, that load will be pushing 42,300 psi. That is above SAAMI max pressure for the 30-30.(42000) Velocity should be 2166 fps, but I doubt you'll see very good accuracy running the pressures up that high. You can get the same speed with 4895, 3031, etc. at much lower pressures and a better chance of good accuracy. Since they're already loaded, they're worth a try but if they don't perform to your satisfaction then I'd be switching to a slower powder.

Banned

re-7 is fairly close in burn rate to aa-2300 and 27 grs does fine in my savage bolt gun.
    with both the rcbs 150fn and an nei loverign design.
    the only time i went over the line was with the wlmr primer.
    the accuracy went right out the window at that point.
    try the load if it isn't right back it down a grain.
    the slower powders do work somewhat better for all seasons and temps and just seem to hold accuracy more consistently.
    but the easy and consistent powder drop of the 2230 has an easy to put together allure for general rock anhiliation.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    According to Quickload, that load will be pushing 42,300 psi. That is above SAAMI max pressure for the 30-30.(42000) Velocity should be 2166 fps, but I doubt you'll see very good accuracy running the pressures up that high. You can get the same speed with 4895, 3031, etc. at much lower pressures and a better chance of good accuracy. Since they're already loaded, they're worth a try but if they don't perform to your satisfaction then I'd be switching to a slower powder.
    Thanks for your valued info........ I made my decision on RE 7 based on what the Lyman Manual , 49th. edition states........

Under the section on 30/30, they report that pressures are in the 32,000 c.u.p range compared to 3031 running 30,000 c.u.p rnage.

I have used both 3031 and 748 many times and have had good success with jacketed bullets and decided to give RE 7 a try.

Boolit Master
    I'm shooting a RCBS 180 cast with WW and a small amount of tin. With that alloy it weighs 190 grs. I load 20 grs. Reloader 7 under that bullet. It cornos at 1780 FPS and it feels like a mild to medium load, and it shoots very well.

Boolit Buddy
    Lyman's 48th lists 28.6gr of RL-7 as the max for the 311041 and 28.0gr of RL-7 for the 311291 @ 34,500 and 34,400 cup respectively in the 30wcf. i like 27.0gr of RL-7 with a 170gr boolit in my Marlin. it gives just over 2100 fps and give long case life.