Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: barrel twist rate

barrel twist rate

Howdy all: I have an Argintine rolling block that has a real bad barrel and I have decided to rebarrel and chamber it for 50-90. I was wondering what twist rate is the standard used by companies like Shiloh, C. Sharps, etc. (1-20)? I also was wondering what barrel manufacturer some of these companies are using, as I plan on using a very heavy non tapered octagon (the width of the receiver). Green mountain's website is the only one I found that indicated they will make a barrel ike I am looking for. Badger, douglas and Kreiger might be able, but I guess I would have to call them to find out. I was just trying to eliminate a little legwork by finding out who some of these other companies use. Thanks for the help. Tom
    Last edited by songdog33; 04-24-2010 at 06:02 PM. Reason: wrong company

Boolit Buddy
    The recent Winchester Limited Edition BPCRs with heavy 1/2 octagon 1/2 round target Badger barrels have a twist of 1:26. I've spoken to several 50-90 shooters that prefer 1:26.

Wayne
    NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF member, Author/Publisher of the Browning BPCR book.

Boolit Buddy
    Tom,

I understood the heavy octagon Badger barrels come from the factory full-length non-tapered. Miroku (Browning & Winchester's rifle manufacturer) machined the profile to 1/2 octagon 1/2 round.

Wayne
    NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF member, Author/Publisher of the Browning BPCR book.

Boolit Mold
    If you want to shoot the lighter bullets that are more original and easier on the shoulder, I've read a lot of shooters prefer the 1:36 Shiloh offers. 1:34 was original to the Sharps rifle IIRC.

Boolit Master
    Hi,

My C. Sharps has a 1:26 Badger barrel.

Chris.

Boolit Buddy
    Green Canoe's comment is very valid. The typical bullet weight of those I've spoken with that shoot a Badger 1:26 twist is around 700 gr. +/-.

Wayne