MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: Gacheck vs. Plain base

Boolit Master

Gacheck vs. Plain base

Hello, I thought I would share my experiance with gas check vs. plain base in .22 Hornet. I had Fred Leeth (Pioneer Products) make up two 55 gr. .22 nose pour moulds, identical as for nose, dia., drive bands, weight, etc. except for g.c. shank on one. for strictly accuracy NOT velocity, the plain base likes 7.0gr. H4227 The gas-check version takes 7.3gr. same powder. .3gr.! The only reason I can see of using the gas check in MATCH shooting is to maintain bore condition. When a clean dry patch is run through after g.c. loads, there are NO lead particles at all. With the plain base, very tiny specks are on patch but in no way adhering to bore.

While we are on subject, why can't we get uniform flat base, and height checks? I'll bet if the bench-rest boys had to settle for jacket blanks that looked like our checks they would raise bloody hell! In addition to annealing & flattening on a punch and base set up for lubrisizer, I had Corbin Mfg. make up a punch & die for reloading press to cut out center of check , thus doing away with warped base altogether. Best of luck!

Boolit Master
    "I had Corbin Mfg. make up a punch & die for reloading press to cut out center of check , thus doing away with warped base altogether"

An interesting thought, I may have to try that.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller