Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: is this a good deal...

is this a good deal...

...or an OK deal

Taken from a local classified site

h&r 500 S&W handi rifle very powerful comes with bushnell 3x9x40 scope and 1 and a half boxes of shells 350$

What kind of range is to be expected out of one of these. Will it be good out to 100 yards? I was thinking of offering $300 and expecting him to say $325.
    If grasshoppers carried .45's the birds wouldnt mess with them.

Boolit Buddy
    Seems a bit high, but depending on the scope line and what kind of ammo and how much it has been shot, it could be right in line, but not a super deal.

For deer it would be good out to 200 yards or so. Couldn't find a good resource for data but I'm sure it's out there.

Matt

Moderator Emeritus

Sounds a bit on the high side. I'd offer $265 and hope he takes $280.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Boolit Master
    I have one and love it. $350 is high. These eat scopes, chances are that Bushnell wont last long on it.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Buddy
    I just got me an H&R Classic Carbine, which is basicly the same thing, for $299 with no scope and no ammo. I'd say at $350 not a bad deal and at $300 a buy.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by dk17hmr View Post
    I have one and love it. $350 is high. These eat scopes, chances are that Bushnell wont last long on it.
    That is what I have heard. I would imagine a good scope that could take the punishment is up there in price.

Thanks for the replies guys I think I am gonna pass on it and look for one in .44 Mag or .357

Boolit Mold
    I also have one, and I love mine too. Mine has the fiber optic open sights. I would not dream of putting a scope on it. At 54, I can still shot peeps, but for some strange reason I am still fairly accurate, and quick, with the open sights of the Handi. The sights are still blurred, but they are bright enough that I can line them up, and usually scare the target.

It helps to tame the recoil if you put lead in the buttstock. They really are too light out of the box.

The guy never got back with me. After 3 emails to him all expressing my interest and including my phone number, I have given up on him. I will look for another. There is no hurry though. When one comes along it comes along. No big deal to me.

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range.
    Too many unknowns here. Is it a $20 Bushnell scope or a $300 Bushnell scope. That 500 has a lot of recoil. If it is a $20 Bushnell scope then the scope is worthless on a 500S&W. The rifle is too powerful for a $20 Bushnell.

The cartridge would be an awesome 100 yard range deer rifle.

And what ammo is it. That ammo is very very expensive.

It sounds to me like the guy is wanting retail for a used gun??

So unless the scope is good quality and the ammo is a high grade ammo I would pass. And get a Handi in the cartridge you want. But if you want the 500 and the ammo and scope are decent-then make him an offer. Just be careful with that scope. Tom.
    WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt3357 View Post
    Seems a bit high, but depending on the scope line and what kind of ammo and how much it has been shot, it could be right in line, but not a super deal.

For deer it would be good out to 200 yards or so. Couldn't find a good resource for data but I'm sure it's out there.

Matt
    I dont own one but I think 200yds is a little optimistic don't ya think. I would think 100yd no problem

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range.
    I do not see any problem with that cartridge at 200 yards. Just as long as you have the proper sights and know your trajectory. I have a Low Wall in 45 Colt. And a deer is in a world of hurt At 200 yards with that rifle and the RCBS 255 grain bullet. And I am sure that 500 has more power than my 45 Colt. All it takes is practice and knowing your rifle. But then I shoot my rifle all the time.

Without practice and good ethics however I then would tend to agree with your 100 yard limit. But not for the guy who knows his rig. Tom.
    WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA

see post number 8. I am going to forget I ever read the guys advertisement. He wouldnt call me back or answer any emails.

Boolit Buddy
    I've got a .223 Handi with a cheap scope. I'd let it go for $200. if someone came by the house and shot it first and liked it. A Handi just ain't a $300 rifle in my opinion.
    Rex