Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWideners
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7.62x39

Boolit Master

7.62x39

I am buying a 10" custom barrel from Dave VanHorn chambered in 7.62X39 and I am wondering about shooting factory Wolf steel case Ammo in it. Does anyone have any experience shooting this ammo in a TC or other custom barrels? I heard someting about not shooting said ammo through barrels in question.
    I will also be shooting a lot of cast bullets in it. I have at preasent 3 molds I can use, a lyman 130gr. PB a lyman 110gr. PB and a Lee 155gr. GC. spire point. I think I can probably get at least one of them to shoot good.

Boolit Master

Is the barrel going to be .308 or .311 ?
    If as in my Spartin rifle .308
    Then I would recomend you not

But even if the barrel is going to be .311
    Just my opion , I wouldn't

As I see it
    If you are going to invest that kind of $$ in a barrel
    At least shoot some decent stuff , copper jacketed , brass cases
    As to avoid the posibility of some how messing something up with steel cases and some times soft steel jackets

I am not saying Wolf ammo is junk
    As I blast a fair amount of it in the SKS and AK

But they were made to shoot that stuff and work 100% of the time

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Master
    Mr VanHorn said it would be alright to shoot .311 bullets through it even though it will be a .308 barrel as long as I buy brass case ammo. The majority of my shooting will be with cast though. I'm not disagreeing with you, only going by what he said. I'm quite sure that if I do so it will raise the pressure some.

If you're in the Phoenix area, I can give you some sample Lee 2R155 boolits to try.

I use them in my SKS's and they seem to shoot pretty good with dang near every powder combo that i've tried. I normally use 15.0 grains of Alliant 2400 because powder is expensive and i'm a cheap ****.

Edit to add: These are .312" bullets.

Moderator Emeritus

I have shot a few, less than 10 through a Handi Rifle. They go bang without any visible pressure signs.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Get the best hearing protection money can buy and wear plugs under it.
    Sometimes you gotta wonder if democracy is such a good idea.

In Remembrance

Ole I have a question for you, do you use regular 30 caliber gas checks on your SKS bullets?

Boolit Master
    If you are getting a custom barrel, you are perhaps paying some serious bucks for it. I wouldn't be shooting any steel case ammo in it. May not, probably won't harm it, but why shoot cheap ammo that you can't reload in a fine barrel?.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 45-70 Chevroner View Post
    Mr VanHorn said it would be alright to shoot .311 bullets through it even though it will be a .308 barrel as long as I buy brass case ammo. The majority of my shooting will be with cast though. I'm not disagreeing with you, only going by what he said. I'm quite sure that if I do so it will raise the pressure some.
    I once had a 32-20 barrel that was 0.308". I was specifically told by the factory that shooting 0.312" bullets through it was OK. I shot both lead and thin jacketed bullets through it. Accuracy was mediocre.

Boolit Master

Back after WW2, troops brought home Jap carcano's in 6.5mm. no one had ammo so some reamed the chamber for 30,06 and shot it thru a 6.5 barrel. im not saying that is a good idea at all, i am saying that if you can squeeze a .308 bullet thru a .264 barrel, i dont thingk . .004" oversize will cause too dramatic of a pressure spike.

Boolit Master

also note, i have been wrong many many times before......just an after thought.

Quote Originally Posted by lead-1 View Post
    Ole I have a question for you, do you use regular 30 caliber gas checks on your SKS bullets?
    Yup. Standard .30 caliber gas checks.

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    82nd airborne:

I believe you may be a bit mistaken in regard to the caliber of the Jap rifle. The ones that were rechambered to 30-06 were the 7.7s, not the 6.5s. The 7,7 is actually a little larger in both the bore and the head area of the case causing a GREAT deal of expansion at the base of the case just ahead of the web. Although it was safe enough, if really raised cain with the case life.

The 6,5s were often rechambered to use the 257 Roberts case since the Jap ammo was difficult to find and usually not reloadable.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    If you're in the Phoenix area, I can give you some sample Lee 2R155 boolits to try.

I use them in my SKS's and they seem to shoot pretty good with dang near every powder combo that i've tried. I normally use 15.0 grains of Alliant 2400 because powder is expensive and i'm a cheap ****.

Edit to add: These are .312" bullets.
    Thanks Ole. I live in Snowflake. I do get to Phx once in a while to visit our son and his family.

Boolit Master
    Thanks: johnch and dragonrider and the rest of you. No steel cases except in an emergency.
    leftoverdj: More noise than a 10" 223 I guess.
    I have lots of S&B boxer primed brass hope it holds up to reloading a number of times. Most of my shooting will be with cast.

Boolit Master

7.62X39 Next question.

What loads would be best for my 10" 7.62X39 using my existing molds. I have a Lee C312-155 2R, a Lyman 311466 160 gr. a Lyman 311410 130 gr., and a Lyman 311255 110gr. My powders are Unique, 2400, H4198, squib load Bullseye, and some others that I can't think of at the moment.

Thanks Ole. I live in Snowflake. I do get to Phx once in a while to visit our son and his family.
    Shoot me a PM next time you're in town and i'll give you a few samples to try if you're interested.

What loads would be best for my 10" 7.62X39 using my existing molds. I have a Lee C312-155 2R, a Lyman 311466 160 gr. a Lyman 311410 130 gr., and a Lyman 311255 110gr. My powders are Unique, 2400, H4198, squib load Bullseye, and some others that I can't think of at the moment.
    I have used 20-21 grains of H4198 and 15-15.5 grains of 2400.

Both loads ran around 1900-2000 fps out of my 20" SKS, so you'll be a couple hundred fps short of that.

Boolit Master

boolit samples

Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    Shoot me a PM next time you're in town and i'll give you a few samples to try if you're interested.
    I have that mold but thanks anyway.

In Remembrance

Thanks Ole, I wanted to slip in that question and not hijack a thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast