MidSouth Shooters SupplyPBcastcoInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: SKS reciever/bolt dust coverneeded.

Boolit Master

SKS reciever/bolt dust coverneeded.

I have a Romanian SKS rifle that I purchased from another member a few years back and I am finally getting around to shooting it. Alas to my dismay I found that a previous owner had welded onto the dust cover at the rear of the receiver a scope mount.

Although the mount had four hefty screws to hold it onto the cover someone had seen fit to weld it on there.

Now I really had not planned on using a scope on the rifle but I cannot use the rear sight since the scope mount blocks my view. Anyone know where I can get my paws on the replacement dust cover?
    Last edited by Crash_Corrigan; 01-21-2017 at 06:12 PM. Reason: spacing
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Master
    Grinder, files, vise, a couple cold ones? And that one fits the rifle.

Boolit Master
    So the going rate is 35ish bucks, for a non fitted cover that was made for a Chinese or Russian. I would fix the one you have and give it a quick cold blue

I have had some experience with these, although they were Chinese. One can purchase the dust cover from several sources (I believe that I got mine from CDNN and TAPCO) when I desired to either replace an issue cover with one that had integral mounts, or one that already had them with a smooth version. They weren't particularly expensive, but without exception they weren't "drop in" (slide on?) parts and needed a bit of fitting. Of course, Chinese SKS rifles are notorious for poor overall parts interchangeability, and perhaps you might not encounter the problem with a Romanian version. Unless you can get one that is of Romanian manufacture you may find yourself having to use one of a different manufacture, and may need to do a little filing.

Just an after thought, and perhaps a generalization, but I've never found the SKS to give exceptional accuracy with a dust cover mounted scope. The scout-type scope on the issue rear sight base seems better. But you have to get used to it.

Boolit Master
    The Yugo I had for awhile had a finely machined bolt cover, in fact ever piece of that rifle was made with skill and precision.

I add my vote for cutting and grinding away the scope mount and refinishing the cover, not sure if these are serial numbered but if so that would be a good enough reason by itself.

On the other hand if you did choose to mount a scope later on a spare cover would give you time to make up your mind about it. You could get a replacement cover and put off doing all that work of removing the mount till sure of how well you can shoot this rifle with iron sights.

A friend had a SKS for which he bought a purpose made cover with integral scope mount and some sort of set screw arrangement for making sure the cover remained tight with no wiggle. Of course you had to back out those screws in order to field strip the rifle, so I suppose one would have to double check the zero after replacing it once again.