RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackbox
WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: bore wear by antimony

Boolit Master

bore wear by antimony

Hello, I have seen this in print as well as a few posts: Is there truth in the statement that antimony promotes bore wear? It is my understanding that in a lead-tin -antimony alloy, the lead molicules surround the antimony. How much shooting would be required to detect wear? I have been using alot of wheel-weights mixed with range-lead, as well as an alloy I use only for .22hornet & .222Rem. : 1lb. steriotype metal (5sn, 15 sb, 80pb) mixed with 16lb. pure lead. After hundreds of rounds I cannot see any wear or scratches. Any comments? Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by .22-10-45 View Post
    Hello, I have seen this in print as well as a few posts: Is there truth in the statement that antimony promotes bore wear? It is my understanding that in a lead-tin -antimony alloy, the lead molicules surround the antimony. How much shooting would be required to detect wear? I have been using alot of wheel-weights mixed with range-lead, as well as an alloy I use only for .22hornet & .222Rem. : 1lb. steriotype metal (5sn, 15 sb, 80pb) mixed with 16lb. pure lead. After hundreds of rounds I cannot see any wear or scratches. Any comments? Thanks guys!
    I have not noticed any wear in my Mauser 98 .308 which has shot thousands of anitimony bullets lubed with beeswax and Lithium grease. the barrel still has nice sharp lands, and has a shiny mirror surface finish! Cheap effective bullets that dont wear ya barrel out! Gotta love that!!!
    THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN HIT THE CENTRE OF THE TARGET IS WITH A CENTREFIRE!!!

Boolit Master

Anything can cause wear. I don't think antimony it is an issue.

Your pushing a projectile down a barrel at high velocity- made of any material, it will wear. Just happens that some things are harder than others and cause faster material removal. There is probably more "wear" from the hot gases of the burning powder charge than an antimonial boolit!

Nothing to get your panties in a wad over, IMHO. Besides, what else would you prefer to harden your boolits with, and shoot if you quit using it?
    USMC 1980-1985

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Not probable, Charlie, but guaranteed! ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master

I can't measure it, so I say "probable".
    USMC 1980-1985