Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWideners
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad DataLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: Redding T-7 press

Boolit Master

Redding T-7 press

I've been thinking, always a bad thing on my part, that I would like a turret press. The Redding T-7 looks like it would be a good candidate as it has a large opening, 4 3/4" and nothing to get in the way of feeding it.

I like the idea of being able to switch turrets to change calibers, and the space for extra dies would be nice for the expanding/belling and straight line seating dies when loading cast bullets.

Anyone have one?

Good or bad points?
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

Great press period.

Boolit Buddy
    Been wanting one for a while. Some day...

Boolit Master

I may be unique, but the first and only problems I've ever had reloading (20 years) came about using a turret press (Redding#25). I thought it would be great for setting up my dies and then producing a fully loaded round by rotating the head thereby only handling the case once. This was opposed to loading in batches (one step over and over until the entire batch was finished) like I did on a single stage press. I ended up not loading powder in a couple cases resulting in squibs. I went back to loading in batches and no problems since. Therefore, I don't see turret presses as a replacement for progressives. I just use mine like a single stage, although I can leave the dies in place if I want. Just my thoughts and I hope I'm not off topic.

Boolit Mold
    I have a T-7 it is a great press. I like the ability to have 2-3 sets of dies loaded and ready to go. I have a progressive also but wanted a press for rifle brass that needs a bit more strength. I have loaded 270 WSM in my LocknLoad but sizeing puts more stress on the press then I'd like, piece of cake on the T-7.

I bought the press mounted primer system and it took a bit of tweaking but now it works great.

Mike

Boolit Grand Master

Like the T-7 but I still batch load with it. I have Dillon 550s for progressive loading.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Moderator Emeritus
    Its a fine press, I'm not a big fan of press mounted priming systems but I like and use the T-7s.

I neck expand "M" die, primer seat and powder drop on mine mainly.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Buddy

Just got one...

I've been back and forth why I actually needed one of these, but always liked them. I read a similar post about the T-7's here a few weeks back and then made up my mind when I got the Midway flyer for April (they're on a bit of a sale). I took the plunge and it arrived this past Friday. Have yet to load with it, but it appears very well made and especially for it's weight - it arrived in perfect shape. Have yet to mount it, but have cycled the turret and lever a few times. The ram is a bit stiff, but that's in comparision to the silky smooth 30 year old Rockchucker on the bench, I sure it will smoothen up with use. I didn't opt for the priming system - I still prefer to seat them with a hand tool. I think that what really sold me on it, is the ability to have 3 sets of rifle dies set up at once and with a change of a shell holder (if needed) you're all ready to go in another caliber. I'm not into loading large quantities at once, but do appreciate the time savings of not having to remove/ replace/ adjust the dies like I have to on the Rockchucker. I think it will be a great additional/ sister press to the Rockchucker. The T-7 will be set for the frequently used calibers, the Rockchucker will be used for the others, pocket swaging, etc. That's my new owner's .02 worth - Hope it helps you out - Bill L

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the replies.

I decided I wanted a turret press after a couple of frustrating weeks of, drive out to the pit, shoot eight or ten rounds, drive back home, set up to reload with all the die changes, drive back out to shoot another eight to ten rounds. After all that, I came to two conclusions, this set of barrels was not going to shoot the cast bullet I wanted them to and I was spending a lot of time changing dies.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Grand Master

Only thing I'm not too keen on is the price of extra turrets; $57 at Midsouth...

Boolit Master

Outback Queensland, North of the Tropic of Capricorn
    I luv mine. It really shines for loading BPCR. I can flare the neck, take the shell out and hand prime (I just prefer it that way), fill with powder, case back into the press to compress the powder, seat a boolit and crimp it in place. Great for loading small batches of loads for testing, too.
    WHEN IN DOUBT, USE MORE CLOUT!

Love my T7. Used to have 4 presses set up on my bench. Now its just my T7 and 550B.
    If it doesn't shoot an ounce of lead, its a wimp load.

Boolit Grand Master

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ing+t-7+turret

This gentleman had some probs with his.

Boolit Master
    I love mine, the turret rings are expensive though, about $60 ea, and can be hard to find sometimes. I chose to just switch to Hornady die lock rings ( they have flats for a wrench and cinch tight instead of driving a set screw into the threads) , they hold their setting real well and I just r & r them. The only drawback with the T-7 is you only get one of those little rotator handles and you have to over reach sometimes if you use 4 or more dies when turning it. The turrets are drilled in three places and an extra handle would help.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.