Does anyone have a good load for
    45 Colt 200gr. RNFP Boolit using
    Bullseye powder?
    I have been using 6.3grs. of
    Tightgroup with fair results, but have some
    Bullseye for my 38, and want to try it in the
    It will be shot out of a EMF Regulator SAA,
    WITH A 5 1/2" barrel.
    Also, do you have use a filler with the Bullseye?
    Thanks.

Boolit Buddy
    Lyman #45 reloading guide gives this Bullseye load for a 235gr cast (#454309)
    starting 4.0gr, 575fps, max 6.8gr @ 905fps
    Rem cases, Rem 2-1/2 primers. Test firearm:Colt SAA, barrel: 5-1/2", 1:16" twist, groove .451"

Max OAL: 1.600".

I've never loaded for the 45 Colt.
    You might look at using Unique.
    Starting 8.0gr, 850fps, max 10.7gr @ 1095fps - for the same 235gr boolit.
    Last edited by SierraWhiskeyMC; 09-17-2009 at 01:36 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Archer--

If by "Bullseye Load" you mean "loads with Alliant Bullseye powder", can't help ya there. Unique and Herco get the nod for 1873-level loads in my BisHawk, 2400 for the more stout recipes.

Now, if by "Bullseye Loads" you meant 'straining every bit of accuracy possible' out of the 45 Colt caliber......that I've seen. A buddy at work was a very capable PPC shooter, and wanted to maximize accuracy for match work and for hunting. He also wanted to exploit the wider hole potential of the 45 Colt for line-cutting purposes on the B-27 targets he stalked. Starting with a S&W M-28, he had it re-barrelled with a truck-axle tube that spec'd exactly .451", and had it given a Taylor 11* throat. The cylinder was cut with minimum chamber radii and given .452" throats. The assembly was topped off with an Aristocrat rib.

He cobbled up a 220 grain (+/-) wadcutter mould for his competition load. This was flush-seated over enough WW-231 to give 750 FPS from its 6-inch barrel. This load was lights-out accurate well past 50 yards. The revolver also did well with Lymans #454190 and #454424, which he ran at 900 FPS using Unique. He has taken deer with this combination.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    I've been using Trail Boss for all of my 45 Colts.
    Bullseye just takes up FAR too little space in the voluminous 45 colt case.
    Big potential there for accidental double charges.
    "Investment" is the new "Throw money at it!"

Detectives, and Cobras, and Agents!
    Oh my!

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks guys.
    I'm sorry, I should have been clear On what
    I was asking. Yes, I meant Alliant Bullseye Powder. I know
    the 45 case does not take much of that powder, that's why I was asking
    if you have to use a filler to take up the extra space. Tightgroup doesn't
    take up much space in a 45 either, but you don't have to use a filler with it.
    I just had it on hand, and wondered if I could use it in the 45.
    Thanks again for the reply's.

Boolit Master

Archer, Alliant lists a load for a 200 grain SWC. That should be close enough for starters. Hopefully the link works. If not go to Alliant's site and work your way through the reloading guide...Ray

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloade...36&bulletid=62
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Boolit Buddy
    I don't like using Alliants' website loads, because they just list a maximum with no suggested safe starting loads.

If you take their recommended 45 Colt Bullseye 7.5gr load and reduce it by 10%, you wind up with 6.75gr, which is just 0.05gr less than the maximum load that I suggested earlier.

But it's up to Archer; it's his pistol, powder, boolits and life.

I'd much rather err on the side of caution.

You shouldn't have to use a filler with Bullseye.

But I think you'll be much happier (AND SAFER) using minimal loads with Bullseye, and heavier loads with Unique.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks, Ya, I was going to just load a
    low power load for plinking with it. I believe
    I'll stick to a differn't powder for the 45,
    and use the bullseye in the 38.
    Thanks for all the advice.

I have used Bullseye in .45 Colt for some "Cowboy Squib" loads and they were 4.5-5.1 grains of it behind a 250 grain cast RNFP bullet. I did not use any filler with it. A powder that is also good to try is Clays (not Universal Clays) and 5.0 grains is about as clean and mild as you can get with a lead bullet.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Virginian,
    That's about what I was looking for.
    I'll have to give Clays a try also.

Archer,

I have used copious amounts of both Unique and Bullseye in loading the 45 Colt. An old manual dating from the 40s or 50s gave a max load of around 7.5 grains of Bullseye for a 250 grain LSWC and for a while I did use that load. I shot accurately, too. The recoil was stout and the report loud. One thing about the old manuals --- they were written before the days of modern electronic pressure measurement methods and some of the maximum loads listed were actually over safe SAAMI pressure limits (some were substantially over limit). Upon reflection, I switched to a milder load of 7.7 grains of Unique years back. The slower Unique fills the case better than Bullseye (which I understand can be somewhat case position sensitive) and gives great accuracy in all my 45 Colt pistols and rifle as well. Another thing about the swift-burning Bullseye is that the grain difference between a safe load and an over pressure load can be pretty small. If I need 44 Magnum performance then I pick up a 44 Magnum and leave the 45 Colt at home (yes, I know in some revolvers such as the Ruger Blackhawk the 45 Colt can be loaded up quite hot, but I do not want to ever risk some of that ammo finding its way into a SAA or such). You certainly can safely, effectively and accurately use Bullseye in the 45 Colt, but you may find that a slower powder serves you a little better in this caliber.

Boolit Buddy
    Just so things don't get too confused...
    Hodgdon, for some reason, came out with three distinctly different powders that all have "Clays" in their names.
    Clays™, International Clays™ and Universal Clays™.
    The plain "Clays" is the fastest, with a burn rate similar to Bullseye.
    "International Clays" is slower, similar in burn rate to IMR PB.
    "Universal Clays" is slower yet, similar in burn rate to Unique.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    If you have multiple 45 guns, it is best to use a single boolit style per gun style so you won't intermix loads. For example, LBT styles are rifle loads only. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Buddy
    1874 Sharps,
    I'll have to pick up some Unique and give it a try. It
    sounds like a far better load for the 45. My 45 is made by
    Uberti, so I don't want to push the limit, just a good accurate
    load.
    SerraWhiskey,
    I've noticed that about the Clays, thanks for the rundown
    on the burn rate.
    Felix,
    I just have the one 45, so I don't have to worry
    about getting them mixed up, but thanks for the
    heads up.
    Archer

Clays the fastest of the Hodgdon powders, is similar to Bullseye, but it is not as position sensitive and is THE CLEANEST BURNING POWDER I HAVE EVER USED...period. Unique and Bulleye leave behind a layer of soot compared to Clays which is leaves the gun almost clean by comparision even when shooting lead bullets.

Banned

My 2 cents: 5.4 gr. Titegroup under 454190 or 452664. mild and very accurate in Colt SAA. Worked up and down with 3 different guns, all liked 5.4.

Also 9.5 gr. HS6 under same boolits gave exceptional accuracy and is mild. Also works well in Henry rifle with brass receiver.

Gear

Boolit Master

Pour 6.5 grains of Red Dot into a 45 Colt case, and top with a 200 grain boolit, and go shoot great groups. It's really that simple. A 250 grain boolit can be substituted if desired.
    I'll be a nice to you as you'll let me be, or as mean as you make me be.

Polite society started dying the day it was no longer necessary for rude men to physically defend themselves from the consquences of their actions or words.

Boolit Grand Master

Archer

Does anyone have a good load for
    45 Colt 200gr. RNFP Boolit using
    Bullseye powder?

Yes, I do but it is not a "cowboy load" .

I have been using 6.3grs. of
    Tightgroup with fair results, but have some
    Bullseye for my 38, and want to try it in the

I use 7.5 gr under the Lee 452-200-RF and the Lee 452-190-SWC in WW cases with Fed LP primers.

It will be shot out of a EMF Regulator SAA,
    WITH A 5 1/2" barrel.

I shoot this load in my Uberti 5 1/2" Artillery SAA and my Rossi 24" barreled M92 rifle. Velocity is 917 fps out of the revolver and 1200 fps out of the rifle. Accuracy is excellent with both.

Also, do you have use a filler with the Bullseye?

No, a filler is not needed.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Mold
    for what it's worth,i have been loading both unique and bullseye insearch of a lite load for that same200gr.rnfp.the lightest charge of unique,to date,has been5.5gr,is mild and shoots well.with the bullseye am currently shooting4.0gr,and i may try 3.0gr!both powders perform well out of rifle and pistols.however,i wouldn't load any lighter with the unique.as a rule,bullseye for lite,unique for heavy. thank you,good shootin'

I sometimes get roasted for making this observation, so take the time to look it up before you light your flamethrower. Here goes:

In the 45 Colt, with any cast bullet from 200 to 250 grains, you can load six grains of ANY pistol powder from Bullseye through SR4756 and get a safe load. By my casual count, that range includes almost 30 powders.

Six grains is under maximum with even the fastest of those powders, and at or just under start loads for the slower end. Again, do look it up to be sure. But when in doubt, six grains is a darn good guess for a usable load.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast