RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: $25 score. 5 gal bucket of range scrap.

Boolit Buddy

$25 score. 5 gal bucket of range scrap.

Went to shoot earlier this week at an indoor range I haven't been to in years so my brother could try my SW9VE.

I asked the owner about his scrap lead. He usually sells it for 10-20 cents a pound to guys who dig it out of the trap.

But he had a 5 gallon bucket that he'd collected and picked most of the jackets out of since he was thinking of starting to cast. Agreed to sell it to me instead. Great guy. I might have to think about a membership even though I can shoot in my back yard free.

The bucket weighs 145 pounds.

I assume it's too soft for general casting using my wheel weight loads. I was thinking I'd mix it 50/50 with the WW if I ever get into casting hollow points.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG00094.jpg  
    Last edited by ScottJ; 04-15-2010 at 09:32 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

might be great water dropped as it is. I'd sure try it before I alloyed it with something else.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by wiljen View Post
    might be great water dropped as it is. I'd sure try it before I alloyed it with something else.
    Yeah, I was thinking in low-pressure stuff like .380 and .38 spl it might be good.

Certainly not in my envelope-pushing .44 mags.

Boolit Master

I find the range scrap to be quite good for lower velocity handgun loads like .38 Special, .45 ACP, .44 Special and .45 Colt...Ray
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Boolit Buddy
    Be sure to check it for live rounds. I've heard too many horror stories lately of folks
    getting a round in their mix.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post
    Went to shoot earlier this week at an indoor range I haven't been to in years so my brother could try my SW9VE.

I asked the owner about his scrap lead. He usually sells it for 10-20 cents a pound to guys who dig it out of the trap.

But he had a 5 gallon bucket that he'd collected and picked most of the jackets out of since he was thinking of starting to cast. Agreed to sell it to me instead. Great guy. I might have to think about a membership even though I can shoot in my back yard free.

The bucket weighs 145 pounds.

I assume it's too soft for general casting using my wheel weight loads. I was thinking I'd mix it 50/50 with the WW if I ever get into casting hollow points.
    Don't assume that. My WW comes in around 10 BHN and I smelted a bucket of range
    berm scrap and that came in around 10 as well. This particular range doesn't get a lot
    of .22 use so that is why I think it came in at that number. That plus scraping the
    lead from the surface of the berm that got exposed by the rains was the reason I got
    the big pieces of lead instead of the .22 fodder.