MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWidenersLoad Data
RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: Kart EZ fit Barrels for 1911?

Boolit Master

Kart EZ fit Barrels for 1911?

I think I have found the barrel I, Miday lists it as "Kart Easy Fit Nowlin-Wilson Ramped Barrel with Bushing 1911 Government 45 ACP 1 in 16" Twist 6" in the White"

I have hear good things about Wilson Barrels.

Has anyone used a Kart EZ fit?
    Does one need the kit to fit the barrel? Looking at what is included in the kit (sold seprately) I have or can get the tools.

How hard is it to fit a barrel?
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Master
    The Kart barrels are top notch all the way. The EZ fit have a few things done that make it easier to get the required fit.
    Its not hard but if you are new at that sort of thing you might want to have a quality barrel installed by a qualified gunsmith

You mentioned a Nowlin-Wilson ramp, I assume your gun is cut for a ramped barrel??

Adam

Boolit Master
    Well I might be ok installing it I was in Metal shop 2 years in High school, I have built a 2 AR-15's, hobby gunsmith and am pretty mechanically inclined.

The ramp is the thing that is getting me...My Springfield has the ramp and its not really easy to find one that wont break the bank. Seeing this Nowlin-Wilson on Midway seems like a not to bad of a deal at $200. The Kart Install kit was another $40. I want to know if the kit is required to fit the barrel.

Also figured the 6" barrel might give it a little more speed I am looking for, I want to use it for deer hunting.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Banned
    I'll bet my Gold Cup his 1911 isn't setup for a ramped barrel. Don't buy a ramped barrel if your 1911 isn't setup for it. That's a very hard thing to do for a novice to cut the frame for a ramp barrel. Like the other poster said if you never done one, better have a smith do it. You can also buy drop in barrels that usually don't need anything done to them.

Joe

Boolit Buddy
    I have done a couple EZ fit barrels and I have not needed the install kit. It is needed if the hood width needs to be adjusted.
    Don't forget if you put a six inch barrel in a non six inch slide, the barrel bushing ID will be a couple thousands larger than the section of barrel that it will now rest on.

Boolit Master
    My Springfield has a Ramped barrel....clear up any confusion you can send your Gold Cup to my FFL Ill email you the mailing addy.

Are drop ins going to be as good as the EZ fit in the accuracy?

I never thought about the 6" barrel and the bushing. Would there be much advantage over a 5"?
    Doug

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Banned
    Boy, you surprised me on that one. Not sure if anyone makes a dropin ramped barrel. Get on brownells website and look up barrels.

Joe

Boolit Master
    Here is a little Proof.

I bought the pistol used and the last owner was a Cop he had some extras put on the gun. I not sure if he had it cut for the ramp or it is factory cut. It is a Factory SA barrel though, so Im not sure.

I just read that the Kart already has the link and is ready to go so that might not be a problem.
    Doug

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master
    When you get that gold cup you could sell the other and shoot it! Save some money that way.

Nowlin Wilson

There are 2 types of ramped barrels. Springfield uses the Nowlin-Wilson cut. (At least that is what was on my 9mm, which I replaced with a Nowlin.)

If the frame cut has a square bottom it's Nowlin-Wilson. Round bottom is Clark IIRC.