Snyders JerkyRepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
Inline FabricationWidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: Beagling question

Beagling question

Finally started casting boolits- Getting started, I am learning quite a bit with all of the trial and error. BUT I still have a lot of questions so bear with me.....

I just "leemented" my molds (using comet, not clover compound) mainly to get the boolits to drop easier and I have succeeded there. But, my boolits are still dropping about .001-.002 smaller than what I needed, so I got some foil tape that measured .003 and "beagled" my molds. Two of the molds only picked up .0005", and the one that needed another .002" didnt pick up any more diameter. Also I went out to look at everything and the glue from the tape was sticking the mold blocks together. Is it ok to leave the glue on the block faces or take it off with some mineral spirits or something? The second question is where do I put another piece of tape? Do I put it over top of the original tape or should I put it on the other side?

Also I have been running narrow strips on the outside of the cavities from top to bottom and another between the cavities (2 cavity molds)- is that right? I think so as they were filling out ok. Thanks!
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far"
    Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master
    saz,
    Just beagled another 2-cavity Lee mould, yesterday. I put tape on the outside of each cavity as well as between them. One layer on each block increased the diameter from .3575" to .360", using a 50/50 stick-on/clip-on mixture.

Don't worry about the glue that oozes out. Trying to remove it will probably loosen the foil strips.

Use acetone if you ever need to un-beagle the mould.

462, what kind of tape are you using and how thick is it?
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far"
    Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master
    saz,
    The tape is 3M 3311. Kind of hard to measure because of the adhesive but I think it's .003", 3-mil.

PM me with your address and I'll be glad to mail some.