Load DataRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan ReloadingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: Don't pop your pot!

Boolit Mold

Post Don't pop your pot!

I just want to take a few moments, to help anyone who may be about to get hurt.

Next, it might help to explain that I've been in the plumbing trade for 38 years. In the first half of my career I poured a tremendous amount of lead into cast iron pipe joints. I just want to share what I know about molten lead and the safe handling of it.

I have set up a lead pot and poured lead in many different locations, and I'm going to try and give you the short version of "how to".

1.The lead pot should be located on a flat level surface. It is nice to put down a 4'x4' square piece of plywood under the furnace/melter. It makes clean up afterward a lot easier.
    2.All lead to be melted must be "bone dry", no exceptions however trivial.
    3.If you are pouring lead lingots with a friend, and are passing the ladle back and forth, always set the ladle down and pivot the handle toward the friend and then let him pick it up again.
    4.Never locate your casting area near something that you do not want destroyed.
    If moisture comes in contact with the molten lead, it will explode in all directions.
    5. If you have to move a pot full of molten lead use a pot hook fashioned out of a piece of heavy 1/4" steel rod.
    6. Never set the hot lead pot on a finished concrete surface as the air trapped in the concrete will explode and ruin the concrete.
    7. If you are pouring outside (which I hope) be sure to have a flat piece of sheet metal handy in case a quick storm blows up. You simply shut off the heat to the pot and cover it if you don't have time to move it to a dry location.
    8. If you knock the pot of molten lead over and it comes in contact with moisture it will probably pop all over the place.

Last evening I was casting 60/40 (60 tin/40 lead) wiping solder ingots from some old pipe I've had for years. There was an old brass cock (valve), with two wiped solder joints on it, one on each end. I looked inside both ends and they were dry. Next, I set it into the molten lead and walked away (about 15ft) and in about two minutes the whole pot popped. The lead went 11 ft. into the air and cover a 7 ft. radius circle (I measured for you guys). In hindsite I should have first melted the valve joints onto a piece of sheet metal and then placed it into the pot. Hindsite is 20/20. There must have been ever so little moisture trapped in the valve stem.

My point being, even if you take all the safety precautions sometimes things still happen. That is one reason I won't cast in my basement. I don't claim to be an expert at anything, but I've seen some stuff happen with molten lead. Any burns you unfortunately receive from hot lead are not easily forgotten. Hope I help at least one person.

Regards, and safe casting, Castormd

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    Good advice, no matter HOW experienced you think you are!

In Remembrance

When I retired for the last time it was as a plumber. I put in 35 1/2 yrs. doing about any sort of plumbing work, including getting buried in a 12 ft. deep trench. When I retired I was only 1 of 2 plumbers left in my crew that could do a lead oakum joint right or how to solder lead pipes together right the first time. Couldn`t say how many times I got "rained" on with lead as an apprentice while a journeyman was overhead doing a bad job of pouring an oakum joint.Robert

Boolit Master in Heavens Range

It's like riding motorcycles, When you think you can handle anything that comes along, It will get ya.

Sam
    Muddy Creek Sam
    |__
    ( o )\_
    USN 100% Disabled
    Dark Lord of The Soot
    SBSS# 2137
    LASSOOS#1957s
    SASS VET #131
    http://www.muddycreeksam.com

My Feedback!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=66946

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    Yes Familiarity DOES breed contempt

When I was 11-12, I was into melting Lead and making simpler Castings of little ornaments, small flat plates of various shapes, and so on, and these I would weld together in making decorative Boxes or lidded Canisters.

Anyway, just as I was pouring I glimpsed a Spider had crawled into the Mold, and it was too late to stop pouring, and "Whoooosh!' I had some Molten Lead splatter all over my naked arms and face and hair and so on.

Still have the scars in the whites of my Eyes, though the droplets missed the Corneas and Pupils/Iris parts.

Those droplets can kind of 'cook in' a little too...

So yup...be careful..! Have fun and keep it safe...

My dad always said "The graveyard is full of experts." Good advice!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about."

Boolit Master
    Great post, Im sure you reached someone with it. Ya never think it will happen to you...
    until it does !

This is very usefull information and this beginner thanks you very much. I want nothing to do with any Fairy`s. LOL
    VOTE 2010! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!) I got this from AZ Stew

Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician - Col Jeff Cooper

Boolit Mold
    When I was 10-12 years old, I was watching my dad cast scuba weights.

We were outside, under a big pecan tree.

Right above the pot was a Blue Jay.

Bird must have thought the shiny pool of molten metal was the hood of a car.

POP.

Nobody got hurt, but it was quite a surprise.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dwebb210 View Post
    When I was 10-12 years old, I was watching my dad cast scuba weights.

We were outside, under a big pecan tree.

Right above the pot was a Blue Jay.

Bird must have thought the shiny pool of molten metal was the hood of a car.

POP.

Nobody got hurt, but it was quite a surprise.
    You probably learned a couple of new words that day, LOL!

Banned
    I have a full face shield...... and use it !
    Leather Gloves, long COTTON sleeve shirt,COTTON trousers and leather shoes.
    I have not yet been visited by the tinsel fairy, but it is only a matter of time.
    Last edited by Trey45; 04-17-2010 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Inflamatory and insulting language is not permitted.

Boolit Master
    Old welder's gloves, jacket, apron, works pretty well. Always wear pants long
    enough to keep 'em OUTSIDE your boots, have some welding spatter scars on my
    ankles. When it drops into your boot it takes too long to get 'em off so you just
    ignore it. Or do a little dance!

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    Yes, Be careful always.
    It only take one time of
    carelesnes to be scared for life.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!
    Ben Franklin

Boolit Master

OH SURE post this good advice a couple of days after I did my first pour! The ingots went well then tried casting, all went well till the pour valve stuck and a stream of lead came out. It really wouldn't have bothered me IF I HAD BEEN STANDING!! Thank god I had a heavy pair of carhartt pants on I have never jumped up that fast in my life. I was very lucky I didn't get burned worse than I did.
    Lessons Learned
    #1 casting bench should be high enough to stand at NOT sit!
    #2 A welding apron is on the to buy list (b4 casting again)
    #3 make sure valve seats b-4 moving mould
    #4 sit your pot in a pan to catch over flow
    #5MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WITCH WAY IS CLOSED ON YOUR POT!!!

Can't wait to get started again!

Boolit Master
    YOW! Glad you're mostly OK. The good news: the lead can be salvaged if
    you can peel it off your ex-Carharrts.