Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationWideners
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Price of wheel weights

Quote Originally Posted by SciFiJim View Post
    Curious. Here in California the WWs coming off of tires at the shops are still mostly lead. It is approaching 50/50 lead to steel/zinc though.
    yeah where i live its more like 30% lead but it better than 0% get er while you can
    To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.”
    ~George Mason

my feedback page:click and give me feedback here,below...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show....php?p=1412368

Ohio's BEST CCW resource: http://ohioccwforums.org/
    Figure that most cars get new tires about every 3-6 years, so the ban won't be an issue for a couple years, we'll still have lead weights that have been pulled off and replaced with zinc. NEXT time those cars come in, it's all zinc. We got a year or two to start vacuuming up all the lead WW we can and then it's game over.
    Due to market fluctuations I am no longer buying range scrap jackets.

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

In Remembrance

Scrappers in this area will SELL wheel weights at 50 cents a pound, and allow you credit for the non-lead ones you return.

That's a little more per pound than paying the tire shops the scrap rate, and gives you access to MORE poundage, if that's what you are looking for.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Quote Originally Posted by DukeInMaine View Post
    Scrappers in this area will SELL wheel weights at 50 cents a pound, and allow you credit for the non-lead ones you return.

That's a little more per pound than paying the tire shops the scrap rate, and gives you access to MORE poundage, if that's what you are looking for.
    I've got a price of .60 per lb. for 1500 lbs+ and .70 for anything less. Still kinda pricey don't ya think?
    You boys gonna draw them pistols or whistle Dixie

NRA ENDOWMENT MEMBER

"The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent fishing."
    ------Babylonian Proverb

Boolit Master

I stopped by a tire shop yesterday and the owner said he has a guy that pays him .90 a pound, clips and all. I told him SEE YA, BYE

Boolit Master
    i got a guy to sell me his for 50 dollars for 130 lbs. not bad i thought.

Boolit Man
    Was in a local shop for a tire replacement. The manager told me that most ww here are still lead. He gets $50 for a bucket that he claims to weigh 100 lbs or slightly more.

Boolit Master
    id say anything under .50 cent a lb is awesome right now.

Boolit Buddy
    Its funny how i hear alot of tire shops are selling WWs by the pound. what they dont mess with WWs that much to know what a bucket is worth? Like others i seen posted my tire shop gives them 20$ A bucket. Pretty bad some places have to nickel and dime the piss out of ppl. they must really suck at tire sales.

L. Bottoms

Boolit Buddy
    My source has a 55 gal drum 1/2 full. It is sold to me by volume($40 per 5 gal) and I get to fill my own bucket so I know whats in it. Its amazing how much you can fit in a bucket when you shake it once and a while to settle it down. I would say over 150Lbs!!! So much that I had to dump it into two bucket just to move it. Pretty clean stuff too.

I went to the only shop I could find that would even consider selling me scrap WWs. Had originally been told $20 or $30 a bucket, went by couple of days ago and they wanted $89 for the same bucket. Left without any WWs. Looks like I have to start looking again.
    RULE #2 Double TAP

Boolit Master
    my father in law found a bucket today in my part of wv for 30 dollars filled to the top 5 gallons. i went to pick it up and heard about it and i was like pshhh your so lucky i been buying mine this day and time in virginia im buying for 50 a 5 gal. so on the way to my dads house where we smelt them down, i went to two tire shops right on the way home

one place i got 25 percent of a 5 gal bucket and 75 percent of one at another.

all for 30 dollars in 5 mins on the way home, no real waste of gas.

Boolit Master

Had originally been told $20 or $30 a bucket, went by couple of days ago and they wanted $89 for the same bucket.
    That's the sort of thing I would run into when I looked for lead around here. They think they have gold, and price it accordingly. You guys who get it cheap or free: get it while you can.

An acquaintance told me a while back something like "I never pay more than ten bucks for a bucket of wheel weights". Seems he hadn't bought lead in a couple years. A couple months later he was asking me if I knew where he could find some at any price. Two different tire shops told me they get $1 per pound for raw wheel weights. Not from me. I haven't even bothered asking for quite a while.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Combat Diver View Post
    A year ago I contacted 6 different tire shops and none would sell/give wheelweights away. Been stuck here overseas since last Jun and looks like another year over here. Might not be any lead left when I get home.
    Message me when you get home. I will send you some for free to get you started again. Thanks for your service to this country!!

Boolit Bub
    I just got 60 lbs of lead flashing and diving weights from a local scrap yard. traded it for 30 lbs of boolit jackets from berm mining, they said it was brass, being free seemed like a good deal.
    They had maybe 5-600 lbs of flashing for sale, $0.65 per lb.
    I got 120 lbs of WW for $10 a couple of weeks ago from a local shop too, melted to 90 lbs lead ingots.

Boolit Buddy
    Got my first tire shop score yesterday...50lbs. for the asking. No box or anything to put them in so I asked the owner "will $10 help?". He took the money and had his guy box 'em and load 'em in my truck. I said "OK if I come back in a month ? " They said OK...Tedly

Boolit Mold
    Anyone know the current price? I'm in Canada and about to go have a chat with a tire shop and want to know what a fair price is

Mike

Google Posner metal prices

May differ from one region to the next.

For the time being I am paying 30.00 for a 5gal bucket and the guys at rhe tire shop sort out the zinc and steel as they fill it. It takes them almost 2 months to fill it so i dont get lead that often.

Boolit Buddy
    i just bought 2 buckets from a local tire shop he sells them in the bucket that tire mounting lube comes in im not sure of the size but there slightly smaller than 5 gal but still hold probably 100 + lbs of wheel weights he wanted 35$ per bucket , I offered him 60$ for 2 buckets but he wasn't hearing it. so I gave him his 70$ and bought 2 buckets full I brought them home dumped them out on my bench and just finished sorting them this morning I ended up with about half of 1 of his buckets with steel, zinc ,ect , I ended up with a full 5 gal bucket plus started a 2nd bucket with 15 maybe 20 lb of good usable weights . it might be a bit over priced but unfortunately that's a sign of the times and the tire shop guys don't wanna hear it when you try to explain to them that by the time your done sorting there will be at least 25% unusable junk. the last wheel weights I bought from a scrap yard a year or so ago he charged me 90 cents per lb they were sorted though and they only pay 30 cents per lb for scrap lead .

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast