Picked up 500+# payed $.30 a #.

Boolit Master
    Picked up 4 boxes wheelweights @ $5/box today, I know the guy at the tire
    shop. About 50lbs/box, maybe, I didn't weigh them yet. They ring it up and
    give you a receipt. Boxes are marked "recyclable lead". You could fit all 4
    boxes worth in a 5 gal. bucket. Sorted one box, lots of stickons, a little
    trash. Noticed a few Fe and Zn. He said if you get more than 5 boxes they
    have to charge more(???). I'm gonna ask around at different shops, haven't
    scrounged WWs for a long time, they used to be free for the asking!

Edit: went back there to buy some tires, he said he got in trouble, they won't sell
    WWs any more. It's a chain store that claims a "Discount".
    Last edited by a.squibload; 03-05-2011 at 03:36 PM. Reason: store policy changed

It pays to keep asking. I dropped my truck off for some service at the local Midas shop across from work. ASked the guy if I could buy a bucket of ww, he told me "naw, just take em". I asked a diff manager about 6m ago & he said they don;t sell them. Go figure. So maybe I have a new source, he told me to come by every couple months. Of course, the bucket will only have about 50% useable wts, but hey, for free, maybe a box a donuts once a month, I'll take it!
    Update. I got the 10gal bucket home & had to sort it in the back of the truck. After sorting, probably 180# of useable ww for nada. Well, almost nothing. I'll take teh Midas guys a 12pack of theire favorite.
    Last edited by fredj338; 04-23-2010 at 01:59 PM.

I got a bucket today for free. It seems that a lot of people around here are after the WW`S now. Go figure. Now people will want to start charging for them. I am grateful for my 6 buckets for free though.
    VOTE 2010! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!) I got this from AZ Stew

Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician - Col Jeff Cooper

Boolit Grand Master
    Was at the local scrap dealer and he wanted 0.80/lb, but only two months ago it was half that @$0.40/lb.
    Was at the local co-op on Monday, and they wanted $70 per bucket!!!

Boolit Master
    I went to same brand tire shop different location today, they didn't know
    what I was talking about. They called the other place (where I got WW a
    couple days ago), that manager said they're not supposed to sell wheelweights.
    Then this manager said "they've been adamant about that lately, we can't do it".
    I guess he meant corporate. Hope I didn't burn my bridge at the first place.

Boolit Bub
    Found out today my source dried up....

The buckets are 60% non-lead and the local battery shop is now willing to pay $25.00 per bucket instead of the $15.00 they were buying them for when they were 30% non-lead about 4 months ago!!!!

Boolit Buddy
    i went to some tire places awhile back and not one would sell ww. they all said they were under contracts to some one and can only sell to them.

one even said that lead was a hazardus material and they leaglly could not sell it to me unless i was licensed to handel hazardus material.

i tried to get some at a local indoor range that collects it, was told no since they get more money from the scrap yard. i told them i would pay that price, no its a hazardus material. i even asked them about buying brass, they said no they get alot more for scrap then selling to reloaders.

Boolit Buddy
    This situation is getting bad. The range I go to sometimes has a sign that says that you need not pick up your brass. HA!---I'm picking up all my brass, and there ain't a chance I will leave it. I mostly shoot revolvers so it usually is not a problem.

Nearest place that changes tires is 25+ miles away. Except for one tire shop(owner keeps them for himself) it is first come first serve. Was in Las Vegas NM and the only WW's I could find I bought for $10.00 for half a bucket.

The local scrap yard here is buying ww for 10 cents a pound .Tryed to buy some today but place was a night mare owner was to busy

Boolit Master

A year ago I contacted 6 different tire shops and none would sell/give wheelweights away. Been stuck here overseas since last Jun and looks like another year over here. Might not be any lead left when I get home.
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Boolit Mold
    Holly cow I have been paying 10 cents a pound for years. I got a good little tire shop that I can get a 5gal buket every two weeks if I wanted them think I will start stocking up on them. I will melt them down and help you guys out if you want some p m me.

Quote Originally Posted by lead head sniper View Post
    Holly cow I have been paying 10 cents a pound for years. I got a good little tire shop that I can get a 5gal buket every two weeks if I wanted them think I will start stocking up on them. I will melt them down and help you guys out if you want some p m me.
    HA! If you have a good supplier, start taking him lunch or a 12pac of beer. It's getting harder & harder to even find a decent supplier & then find it cheap. The guy I used to buy 3gal/100# buckets from was happy to let them go for $20/, then some guy came in & offered him $50. Since they are down to 65% useable, getting too rich for my blodd. So I keep looking. You could sell all you wanted for 50c/#, maybe 80c/# cast into ingots.

Boolit Mold
    Realy! I cast them into muffin pans they are probly 2 to 3 pound ingets got bout 200 of them and 500 lbs of ww right now but reading all your guys stories think ill be stocking up on ww.if you guys can't get any let me know happy to help out I probly only get 10 pieces per buket that don't melt down so its 95% lead or higher.

Boolit Buddy
    Brought some aluminum gutters to the scrap yard the other week, got 64 cents a pound for the AL. Asked about lead and he said that if they were selling any, and they're not, it'd be about 40 cents a lb. Didn't ask the specifics of the "lead" he wasn't offering to sell. They won't sell anything at this yard because of liability issues; if I built something from the pieces of angle iron I was eying, and it collapsed, they could be in deep legal trouble, thus the blanket policy.

I'll probably go take a ride around to the local shops and see if I can't get a coffee can full from each, maybe more from the ones I have a connection to. Got a bucket with 140 lbs, unsorted, so that should last me a while, but it can't be bad to stock up the way things are going.

Fortunately I can probably get all the birdshot I can carry from a local range if I take a day and go mine it. If I get a huge haul of birdshot, and find I need WW or soft lead for my casting, folks would probably trade, right?

Boolit Master
    Picked up 140lbs today WWs and a few battery clamps, $50, auto junkyard.
    They wanted 40¢/lb, had a 55 gal drum full of WWs.

Scrap yard here buys "dirty" WW @.15 and wants to sell them at .55/pound.

Boolit Mold
    Yesterday I ask my a local tire shop about getting some of their scrap wheel weights. They said that most of their wheel weights now are no-lead weights... something about the influence of California legislation on the tire business in other states. Also, they already have someone who picks up their scrap weights.

Boolit Master

They said that most of their wheel weights now are no-lead weights... something about the influence of California legislation on the tire business in other states.
    Curious. Here in California the WWs coming off of tires at the shops are still mostly lead. It is approaching 50/50 lead to steel/zinc though.

Custom Cast Boolits Google Search

The Learning Never Stops!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast