WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataLee Precision
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Price of wheel weights

Price of wheel weights

Today, I thought I would hit a few tire shops to get a few wheel weights to add to my bucket. So as I have done in the past I called the scrap yard to see what they were paying. I figure I ought to pay at least scrap price so as to try and be fair about it and no one gets cheated. So I called the local scrapyard and to my surprise they are paying .40 a pound for wheel weights and .50 for soft lead I repeated that I wanted to know what they were paying and he repeated those prices.
    At .50 a pound for lead reclaimed shot, will be well worth the effort and I might be building that bullet trap real soon there is no sense in wasting any more. It will be profitable very quick to build the trap.
    In the end I did not get time to look any way but I am still surprised at the high price. How much are they in your area??
    Thanks Nate
    Remember the average response time of a 911 call is over 4 minutes. The average response time of a .357 is around 1300 F.P.S.

I guess I got lucky . I got 3 ,5 gallon buckets free from my friends at the dealership. Man I am very gratefull after hearing your situation .I live in New Mexico. I can get some more next week also. I feel bad for you Deer Slayer. Do you have salvage yards , that will let you pull the WW off maybe?
    VOTE 2010! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!) I got this from AZ Stew

Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician - Col Jeff Cooper

Boolit Bub
    30 cents is the going price for WWs here in Medford, OR. That includes sitckons mixed in which are about 10%

Boolit Buddy
    $.30 is the rate for WW around here in TN. Got a tire shop here that calls the recycler when I go in to get the current rate. Figure its not a bad deal. Today I am going to go by the recycler to see what they have to offer.

Boolit Buddy
    Scrapyards in Northern Ohio are paying $.10. They never came to me with a price so I shot them an offer of $.25 and they immediatley rejected it. If you want to buy them they are at least $.35 as that is what they told me they get for them.

Moderator Emeritus

In MN. a local scrap yard pays 8¢ for WW and 30¢ for pure lead.
    Jon

Boolit Master

It sure is interesting, the huge difference in price of lead from place to place. Things have gotten really tight around here (Lane county Oregon) especially in the last few months. Looks like I need to take a drive to Medford to find any wws.

They all want 75 cents to $1 per pound here, if they will even talk to you at all. They say it like it's a reasonable price. I'm thinking more and more that there must be a few folks around here that are panicking, buying at any price, and hoarding. This has the tire guys thinking they have gold.

The local scrap yards won't even talk to you about lead around here. Called a scrap yard in Portland out of curiousity; "We have tons of lead. Dollar a pound".

I can see myself selling my molds in a few short years, as useless relics.

Moderator Emeritus

2 shops I buy from sell me a 5 gallon bucket full to the top for $20. One shop I buy from sells me the same thing for $25
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

In Remembrance

I just checked my local scrap yard this A.M. Wheel weights are being sold for .90 per lb. Clean lead (no steel clips or other metals) is $1.00 a lb.Robert

Yep, vast swings in prices across the country. Anything around 50c/# is going to be a good price, even great price depending on your local. I happily pay that for casting alloy. With pure lead around $1.50/#, buy all the 50c/# metal you can get.
    Last edited by fredj338; 04-14-2010 at 08:04 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    At the scrap yards around Chicagoland they pay .09 per pound for JUNK lead. Now if you wish to purchase any of my precious WW or other lead the SALE price is only .65 per pound.

Vendor Sponsor

Scrap yard in Portland, Me paying .28 to .35 depending on the day/week and selling them for .70/lb.

I just got a full 5 gallon pail and had to pay 40 bucks for it. I got 154 lbs of wheel weights and 12 pounds of battery cable ends and valve stems.

Have a good 'un, Guy
    Are you in need a pan lube cutter?
    I make custom made cutters in a cutting size of your choice.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Please click on the link below . You will find a thread to post your order. Thank you.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...31#post2827331

Support our troops...they are somebody's kids!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    ...Looks like I need to take a drive to Medford to find any wws...(
    No poaching allowed pal!

I don't know if that is the "hi I want to buy WWs" price you might get, I have a connection with the local tireshop manager for $0.30 lb

Boolit Man
    I'm getting them free so far - but have only taken in 125-150 lbs so far. I am fortunate enough to be connected to a few commercial tire shops. I send business their way in return.

Ferdinand you are not that far do you have any for sale PM me if you wanna get rid of some. Thanks Nate
    Remember the average response time of a 911 call is over 4 minutes. The average response time of a .357 is around 1300 F.P.S.

The last I bought was 500 pounds at .40 a pound. This was late summer and I've been lucky. Lots of people have been giving it to me free over the winter.

The sinker people are what the problem is here. They're paying ,45 for a pound and they don't care if it's Zinc or not.

I talked to one poor fellow at the last gunshow who makes his living casting bullets. He got so desperate he bought wheel weights off of Ebay. Guaranteed no Zinc///they were all Zinc.

Boolit Master

No poaching allowed pal!
    Slow down! I was joking! No way am I going to drive six hours to perhaps save a few bucks on maybe finding some cheaper lead. That and risk getting a fellow Oregonian mad at me for snapping up all the lead in town.

It really seems like finding wheel weights is a bit like finding a job. If you've got connections and know people, you might get somewhere and hoard a few tons. Those of us without connections are pretty much out of luck.

In reality finding cheap lead is the least of my worries right now. I've been out of work for a year and a half, and I do know people and have connections in this area.

You know, there's another similarity with lead and work. When things get bad enough, even those with connections will be out of luck. Fortunately Uncle O is going to turn things around for us.. any day now..

Watch it Uncle O is watching us people with our guns and Bibles

Boolit Bub
    Oh yeah! Uncle O will save the day! LOL

I was told by the manager that lead is going to be gone out of new WWs by 12/2011 and that CA has already started the ban. We will all be looking for new sources soon enough!

Boolit Master

Took aluminum cans in 2 weeks ago, got 60c/lb. Asked about wheelweights, they were paying 35c/lb. Said they rarely got any in. This was at Shapiro's in Paragould, AR.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast