Titan ReloadingLoad DataLee PrecisionWideners
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Repackbox

Thread: annealing

annealing

In between which step during the case prep process do you anneal brass?

Boolit Buddy
    If I'm going to anneal my brass, I clean the as fired brass then anneal, clean again and then load as normal. The second cleaning is a very light cleaning. I don't know if that is right wrong or otherwise, but has worked fine so far...

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by lurch View Post
    If I'm going to anneal my brass, I clean the as fired brass then anneal, clean again and then load as normal. The second cleaning is a very light cleaning. I don't know if that is right wrong or otherwise, but has worked fine so far...
    Pretty much what I do.

I clean the brass first so I can inspect it--it may not be worth annealing.

After I anneal it, I put it back in the tumbler. Afterwards, I treat it like any other brass to be reloaded.

actually i meant before or after the resizing/trimming process

Boolit Grand Master
    I size, (LEE collet neck sizer), and trim (Wilson Trimmer) after annealing.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    Clean, then anneal, then load
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by desteve811 View Post
    actually i meant before or after the resizing/trimming process
    Generally, I anneal after sizing and trimming...but I can't tell you why. It just seemed like the right order when I started reloading and it has stuck.

When I form brass from other cartridges I have found that it kinda depends on how much is being reformed and how radical the process is. My advice in that case is to try it both ways and see which works best for you personally. My biggest problem has been when pushing a shoulder back. It seems that each case has it's own likes and dislikes, but usually I anneal after pushing the shoulder back..

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

I anneal new or 1x fired milsurp brass with headstamps earlier than 1980. I also anneal commercial brass that's been fired 5x or more times. Lastly, when I reform brass (usually .30-06 -> 8 x 57mm), I anneal after all other operations have been performed. However, I sometimes reform brass that's harder than normal and that requires an initial anneal as well as a final one.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by badgeredd View Post
    Generally, I anneal after sizing and trimming...but I can't tell you why. It just seemed like the right order when I started reloading...
    I wonder why that seemed correct to you.
    Annealing is done at the factory...well before you get to trim or size new brass.

When you decide to anneal, in order to regain the same softness the factory supplied, doesn't it stand to reason that it should still come before trimming and sizing?

To put it another way..
    Annealed brass trims easier because it's softer.
    It sizes differently (than hard brass) because it doesn't spring back the same.

It seems most efficient to put the metal in the desired condition first...then prep it for reloading.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.