Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 58 Big Boar

Boolit Buddy

58 Big Boar

Ive got my share of caplocks and Flintlocks, but i always wanted a 58 cal. I was in a Gun Shop the other day, and a guy mentioned he had a TC 58 Big Boar,, said he would take $300.00 for it, so now i have a 58 cal, iam a happy camper, George.
    Last edited by George Tucker; 04-10-2010 at 05:03 PM.
    NRA Life Member
    USMC Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by George Tucker View Post
    Ive got my share of caplocks and Flintlocks, but i always wanted a 58 cal. I was in a Gun Shop the other day, and a guy mentioned he had a TC 58 Big Boar, that was in his house that was new and unfired, said he would take $300.00 for it, so now i have a 58 cal, iam a happy camper, George.
    You STOLE that rifle!!!! I have seen unfired in the box bigboars go for 450-600 dollars and REALLY beat up ones go for no less than 300..... GOOD FIND! Enjoy that .58!
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far"
    Theodore Roosevelt

That's a great deal! Did he have another one? At that price I'll take two.

Boolit Grand Master

Good evening
    Sounds like you you have your hearts desire.
    58´s is a fine hunting caliber. I plopped plenty of whitetails with mine. I know for sure a .57 ball sitting on 85 grains with break the spine of one nice doe and penetrate completely through the chest of the bigger doe standing 3 feet away. Sure made for alot of work but I would not have thought I would ever get the opportunity to do so. This shot was with my Zouave at 30 yards.
    My 58 flinter´s (2) have never had that chance.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master

I was in a local gun shop today and told the owner to keep his eyes out for a 58 bore. Reading these makes me want one all the more!! The TC 58 Big Boar would be just the ticket, at $300 ofcourse.
    George could you post a picture of yours for us to see?
    Last edited by smoked turkey; 04-09-2010 at 09:37 PM. Reason: question added

Boolit Master
    Reading this makes me want to finish up my Edward Marshall .62 flintlock and go shoot it!
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

I've always liked the58s. I've been looking for a Big Boar and have everything BUT one. Got a Zouave, St. Louis Hawken, Musketoon, and a Buffalo Hunter. The 2 deer and one elk I got did not go far. So far, have not recovered any lead.
    Hellgate in Orygun
    With 16+revolvers, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap&ball.
    If you do not subscribe to a newspaper you are uninformed. If you do subscribe to a newspaper you are misinformed. Mark Twain
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Boolit Master
    I"ve been wanting one for some time now....Enjoy yours!
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Guys, i dont have the knack for posting pics, i can send a pic to one of you guys, if you would post it for me, George.
    Last edited by George Tucker; 04-10-2010 at 05:05 PM.
    NRA Life Member
    USMC Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Greg in Malad View Post
    That's a great deal! Did he have another one? At that price I'll take two.
    AMEN!!!

"I've always liked the58s. I've been looking for a Big Boar and have everything BUT one. Got a Zouave, St. Louis Hawken, Musketoon, and a Buffalo Hunter. The 2 deer and one elk I got did not go far. So far, have not recovered any lead."

You are missing a Kodiak SXS in .58. You will love it.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far"
    Theodore Roosevelt

I'm still beating myself up for passing up a new big boar for 350 about 5 years ago... Now I'm beating my self up again for remembering that I passed it up...
    Member of...
    NMLRA
    NRA

I got my T/C Big Boar when they still made them for $225 new, in the box. It's a shame they quit making them as it is my favorite big bore. It's kind of fun being able to blow 2" branch's off trees. I mainly shoot roundball out of mine but I wish T/C made a mold for their maxi hunter for the 58, at 550gr it was a whopper.

Quote Originally Posted by wilddog45 View Post
    I got my T/C Big Boar when they still made them for $225 new, in the box. It's a shame they quit making them as it is my favorite big bore. It's kind of fun being able to blow 2" branch's off trees. I mainly shoot roundball out of mine but I wish T/C made a mold for their maxi hunter for the 58, at 550gr it was a whopper.
    Reminded of a deer I shot at with a 58. I walked it up and it turned to look at me. I made a quick shot and watched a sapling slowly fall over (it was the only one between the deer and me. Should have felt proud as it took a good shot to directly hit that sapling to make it fall over like that. The deer ran a ways with its tail up and stopped to look at me for a minute while I started to reload. It then trotted off. Wherever the ball went it did not hit deer.
    CVA made a variation of the Mountain rifle in a 58 that would be another good find.

Northmn

Boolit Master
    My favorite 58 is the Parker/Hale Musketoon. Like the short length and handiness of it.

The boolits I use most in it are the Lyman semi wadcutter style and a NEI # 575-500.

If I did it right the pic is the NEI boolit. The mould is Walt did.
    Last edited by swamp; 08-10-2011 at 04:51 PM.

Boolit Master
    Last week I got a used mold for my .58 Zouave. For the last 25 yrs. or so it's just been the old style Lyman Minie 575213(?) or patched round balls. Thought I'd try something new, it's a Lee 472 gr. modern minie hollow base. I've not been able to get a good cast yet, but have only dabbled. The mold blocks don't want to line up, and when I get it shut good it still casts off a bit. It is an old tired mold, but I like old stuff. Anyone using this conical in their .58? It looks like it would scrape the fouling pretty good when being rammed down the barrel. The thing looks a bit like a giant wadcutter, ought to wreak havoc on a critter or a paper target.

Boolit Grand Master

I have used that mould in the 50 but not the 58 and it did good. I do have the Lee 58 mould that is a copy of the original minie. It shoots good enough for minute of deer but I wouldn't be target shooting with it but I don't have a very tight twist for my 58 hawkin.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Buddy
    I bought a 58 bigboar with a peep sight from the custom shop at tc. Then put a Green Mountain drop in roundball bbl on it and have never looked back. The GM bbl is a much better RB gun, but the shorter Bigboar bbl is nice for hunting. RB are plenty heavy and recoil with minies is not to my liking.

You will like the 58 for hunting.

Keep your eyes open over at the muzzleloading forum want adds and you can pick up the ocasional .58 or .62 caliber bbls for the Bigboar. Not to mention you can learn a lot abour RB shooting. Be careful of the flintlock bug as it bites hard over there.
    http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/pp...ieds/index.php

Does GM still offer the roundball bbl? What is the twist?

Anybody ever seen a H&R (Huntsman I think) .58? I know its a inline but nice rifles. Kinda unique. A friend of mine has one that he's never fired. It belonged to his father.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by wilddog45 View Post
    Does GM still offer the roundball bbl? What is the twist?
    The .58 Big Boar is another muzzleloader I have always wanted, just never got me one of those "round-tuits" like I should have, early on.

In fact, I have been looking for a .58 drop-in barrel for my .56 SB but apparently they are few and far between. The last time I looked at GM they did have one in flint, and IIRC the twist is 1:72
    They do have just the barrel if you fit the breech plug, drill the flash hole, and do the rest by yourself....which many folks do.

ToTW has "supposedly" had the .58 cap-lock "drop-in" barrels on back-order for some time now, and Dick at Pecatonica LR says I shouldn't hold my breath as we may have seen the last of 'em.

I have a 1861 3-Band Colt in .58 and it is just fine...if ya like a really looong barrel.
    I believe that twist is 1:77 IIRC, but what I would really like to do is put a 33" .58 cal drop-in on the old .56 Renegade.

Of course I've been saying this for what seems like forever, and I ain't no closer today than I was back when.

Russ...
    When it comes to Muzzle Loaders, Black Powder Matters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast