WidenersRepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Load DataLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Made some bullet lube today...

Boolit Master

Ben,

Have you ever just poured this through a paint strainer, like body shop would use to strain into the cup of the spraygun? #2; how about using carnuba wax flakes instead of Johnsons paste wax?

Doug

Boolit Grand Master
    Doug,

I PM'd you with replies to the above.

Ben

Well I tried this lube in the sizer today and the lube kept shooting out the top of the die. Not around the nut but around the mandrel. Any ideas as to why and how to fix this?

Thanks Adam

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DragoonDrake View Post
    Well I tried this lube in the sizer today and the lube kept shooting out the top of the die. Not around the nut but around the mandrel. Any ideas as to why and how to fix this?

Thanks Adam
    Sounds like it's too thin/soft.

Boolit Master

Let me ask if this sounds reasonable... if I convert the % to "parts" I came up with a 10 - 6 - 2 -1 - 1 ratio. Parts being a volume measurement, so Tbs or Cups or even gallons. Does this sound like it would work to produce (and reproduce) the same results?

Doug

Boolit Master

ps....I stopped in and picked up some paint strainers at my parts store, it looks like the mesh might be a little fine for this process.

d

Boolit Master

Well, today I mad an attempt at Ben's recipe. I tried my parts ratio using a measure cup from laundry detergent. So far it seems to have worked out, but a few lessons learned. It is easiest to strain with paint strainers when hot, as in just after the burner is turned off. Lesson #2, do not pour into a plasitic container until it has cooled a bit, I had a fairly big mess on my hands, which luckily I had prepaired for in advance. It did melt the ice cream container. I picked up a coffee pot at a garage sale for $2 this weekend, so I am all set to go.

Doug

Boolit Grand Master
    Doug :

Sounds like you're making good progress, once you get the lube into your lube sizer give us a report.

What are your observations about the lube's hardness after it has cooled , when compared to other lubes ?

You may have to adjust the %'s slightly to your own personal liking.

Ben

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DragoonDrake View Post

Thanks Adam
    Either the lube is too thin or the ejector pin isn't a good tight fit with the sizer die or you're using too much pressure on the lube.

Boolit Master

It did seem a little soft, and a little more on the orange side. I am worried that I overcooked it a bit. I was trying to get rid of the little chunks of grease, which I eventually did. I do have some flake Carnuba, so I can add that to harden it if needed.

Doug

Boolit Grand Master
    Doug :

I'd think that a little bit of your flake carnuba or some Beeswax added would get your lube just about where you want it. ( I use lubes that are a little bit softer than some would prefer, they shoot well, & leave my bore spotless)

Keep us posted with your progress.

Ben

Boolit Master

Picked up some R&T a few days ago; this stuff looks promising!
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Hey there Ben ! , been using your mix in my various handgun loads and so far it's been great , nice shiny barrels , just a little flake or two when I use the brush .
    One small draw back is after a fifty or so rounds I get a little build up of material at the outside crown of the barrel and a lot of smoke residue around the cylinder on the 586.
    On the semi's the build up is in the action after so many rounds , may be because I load to low in power , I like soft shooting for target use.
    Maybe with a little stouter loads some of it will disappear ? or maybe a little higher % of wax ? ....any how been enjoying mixing it up and using it and seeing the results , all part of the hobby , lots of fun.
    Thanks for putting it out there to try ...
    digger

Boolit Grand Master
    Digger :

It is some good stuff, glad it is working well for you.

Best to you,

Ben

Alright, I've read this entire thread. Very interesting.

Can anyone tell me what the purpose is for each ingredient? I've been puzzling over this for some time now.

http://www.lasc.us/LubeIngredients.htm
    This will keep you reading for awhile.
    Mugs
    IHMSA 5940L
    Shoot only Cast Bullets!

Ben,

I'm just getting into cast bullets in a bolt 308 and your group has me truly impressed. Just wondering how deeply you seat that bullet in the 308 case. Of the 30 cal moulds that I own all are gas check designs and the check will be seated below the shoulder-neck junction. I figured to pull the bolt after each shot and check the bore for a stray check. Or do you think that I worry too much?

Thanks.
    "He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
    Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, NRA Life
    PRPA, Annual member

Boolit Grand Master

I can't imagine a situation where the boollit exits the barrel and the GC is left behind if using crimp on checks.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

I think I would look into having the throat modified to be able to seat boolits out.
    Mugs
    IHMSA 5940L
    Shoot only Cast Bullets!

Boolit Grand Master
    Steelbanger :

If you think about it ? ? ? When a primer ignites the powder..... Where is the pressure headed, out the mouth of the case--------, right up against the g/c of the bullet. So if the bullet is seated below the neck, as soon as pressure is built up in the case ( which is in a micro -second ), there is tremendous pressure pushing directly against the g/c regardless of it's depth relative to the bottom portion of the case neck. How can it come off ? ?

I've never worried about a g/c coming off. I've fired a " bazillion " rounds of .30 cal. cast . I've never had a reason to think that a g/c was left in the bore of one of my rifles. I'd like to ' qualify ' that statement by saying that all the g/cs were of the crimp on variety and I've never had a problem.

Ben

SkookumJeff :

The purpose for each ingredient?

I have no idea, I only know it works.

But then again, that is the way I am with a nuclear weapon,
    I have no idea HOW it works, but I know it works ! !

Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 02-11-2011 at 09:04 AM.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast