Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: what press do you have

Boolit Buddy

what press do you have

reloading press, just curios

Rockchucker

Boolit Bub
    dillon sq. deal for pistol, old hornaday single stage for rifle

The Press that an individual may use is dependent upon the outcome that one desires to achieve. So I ask this for a simple reason as to why you would ask this question?

The Press is your main reloading component. Thus one has to decide for themselves how much of what type of ammo they wish to load for and pick a press that would best serve there needs.

Single Stage- Great for rifle or low volume loading. The New Lee Classic Cast Press is the one I would get for this and they will not break the bank.

Turret Press- Good for higher volume loading with the ability to keep Die's set up in a Turret Head for fast change out.Such as the Lyman T-Mag Or a Redding or even RCBS has them. Manual index

Semi-Auto Turret Press-Lee Classic Cast Turret Press I feel the best bang for the buck on the market bar none. Has auto index or can be used as a single stage as well. This is the press I use as I do not do high volume reloading but can be set up to load 1 to 200 rounds per hour for pistol if one wishes to do so.

Progressive Press-For higher volume loading in the 400 plus rounds per hour rate such as the Dillon 450-550 or the Hornady LNL.

to Full Auto Progressive Press. For higher volume than the other previously mentioned press such as the Dillon 1050.

Forgive me if I left some out.
    Last edited by JesterGrin_1; 04-08-2010 at 08:31 PM.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

I bought a Rockchucker in 1972 because that was what was recommended to me by a man for whom I had high regard who worked in the "local" gun shop out on John's Island, SC, when I was stationed in Charleston. Until one month ago, it was my only press.

I bought one of those big Lee cast iron "O" frame presses a couple of weeks ago because, a) it's bigger, just in case, b) I like cool tools and the mechanism fascinated me, c) two single stage presses came in handy for my "work flow" and d) I felt like it.

I'm circling a Hornady AP and am about to land on it (vs. the Dillon) because that's what my local gun shop chum carries, and I've listened to it work.

But, the Rockchucker has done all I asked of it, and saw me through my learning curve.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Dillon 550B for revolver bullets ... all else, 2 Lee 3 Hole Turrets and a Rock Chucker. The RCBS being a 'bear' works good for reforming brass
    Regards
    John

Moderator Emeritus

2-Dillon 550b's, one set up for large primer, one set up for small.
    1-RCBS RS2
    1-Lee Single Stage
    1-Lee Pro 1000 dedicated for 45 Colt only.
    1-Lyman 4500 lubrisizer
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

Wally I agree the old Rockchucker is a good press but is no longer made in the USA. The Lee Classic Cast Single Stage is a better press and at a better price and IS made in the USA.

And I also agree for learning there is nothing better than a single stage but to be honest that was in years past. The New Lee Classic Cast Turret Press can be used as a turret or single stage. And you can keep the Die's set up without having to remove them and replace them for each operation as you would have to do with a traditional single stage. Plus the Lee Classic Cast Turret press is $40.oo cheaper than an RCBS Rockchucker. And again with the Lee Classic Cast Turret Press you can go from Single Stage to a semi auto Turret press in less than a minute.

I have not been reloading all that long. And like so many others I started with a Single stage press. But I sure wish the Lee Classic Cast Turret Press was around when I started would have saved me money and time.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Master

LEE O-frame press
    LEE C-Frame press
    LEE Hand Press

See a trend...
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master
    I have a rockchucker, a Lyman all American turret, a Lyman Spar-T ( I think ) turret and a Dillon 550b. Also have a Lee hand press. Those are the ones I use and have set up. I also have an old CH single stage but don't use it.

Boolit Master

The first press was a C-H 3 station "H" press, then a Rockchucker, then a C-H "C" press, then a Dillon 550, a Dillon 450, a Dillon Square Deal, finally another C-H "H" 3 station press. I have since sold all but the Rockchucker & the Swage-O-Matic in the last 2 years. James

I only reload straight wall pistol cases.

Dillon 650 - used 95% of the time
    Lyman Orange Crusher II - used for small runs
    Lee Reloader - no longer used.

Jeff

Dillon 550b
    Rochucker Surpreme
    Lyman Spartan
    Lyman 4500
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Lee 1000 (2), Lyman T-mag II, Lee Challenger, Lyman All American, Lyman Tru-Line Jr., Dillion 650, RCBS RCII. The Lee 1000's I use for 380 and 9mm only, The Dillon is set up for 44 mag but I am going to change it to 45 ACP and leave it that way. The RCBS was set up with a piggyback progressive for 357 but I took that apart it will become my single stage go to press. The Lyman T-Mag used to be my go to press everything else but I am now using the Lyman All American for that. The Tru-Line Jr. I just use to hold a Lyman No. 55 powder measure. and the Lee Challenger is the press I take to the range when working on loads. Having multiple presses is nice but they take up a lot of bench space, I don't have a large space for reloading only about 8x8 feet. I need to do something about more bench space.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

I have the old Hollywood press that I bought used from one of my college professors in 1963 for $25.00, including a set of Hollywood .30-06 dies. I also have an RCBS Rockchucker, a Hornady LNL and a Magma Case Master Jr. I also have a MEC 9000GN for loading shotgun shells.

I've worn out one Rockchucker, which RCBS replaced at no charge, and one Hornady Pro-Jector, which Hornady rebuilt at no charge. I gave the Pro-Jector to my gun dealer for getting me the LNL at his price, and he's using it now.

The old Hollywood is still working just as good as it did when I brought it home in 1963. I load 31 different calibers at the present time, plus 12 ga. shotgun, so I have uses for all my presses.

Hope this helps.

Fred

RCBS rockchuckers 3 of them
    I SHOOT MORE FOR LESS

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible,With Liberty and Justice for all.

Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid."
    -John Wayne

GAS--> $1.55--1-18-09

Boolit Grand Master

Lee Challenger press, Lee 3 hole turret press and Lee Classic Cast press. I used to have the C press and hand held Lee presses also but gave them to someone that could use them more.
    Aim small, miss small!

Lee classic cast single stage
    Lee classic cast turret.
    +1 what JesterGrin said about the turret. It's the only press you will ever need. Unless you swedge. And I bet someone is doing that with it.

Boolit Grand Master

2 Rock Checkers
    1 RCBS Junior
    1 RCBS 2000
    1 RCBS piggy back
    1 Lee challenger
    1 Lee 4 hole turent
    2 Lyman turent
    1 Lee hand press
    I'm press poor

Boolit Master

Lyman Spartan
    Lyman Orange Crusher II

Sold the Lee Pro 1000- didn't fit my style!
    USMC 1980-1985