Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersLee Precision
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: .38 Special round ball load

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Denver View Post
    I've loaded powder coated .490 round balls sized in a .454 die in my 45 Colt revolvers and rifles' There is a flat left that is about 1/8 inch wide. I've used most of the fast burning pistol powders, but around 5 or 6 grs of Bullseye works best. Ditto with .440 round balls in my 44 revolvers. Accuracy is quite good for short range plinkin etc. Also no need for messy lubes.

D
    Also shoulda mentioned my experience with round balls in 38spl wasn't as good. Most loads I tried shot so low in the fixed sight revolvers even at close range that they were not worth the effort to load.

Boolit Master
    Roll in alox and let dry overnite.
    or load over 2 grs bullseye and seat flush with case and give a wipe of crisco in space left around ball in case.
    Low power load.
    More power, use 3 grs bullseye, same way.
    700x, or any quick powder faster than Unique works best.
    Last edited by Alferd Packer; 03-19-2021 at 10:10 AM.

Boolit Master
    You can put a wad under that single round ball and seat them both right down on the powder and they will hit much higher on the targets using the two grain load.
    This is a close range load out to 15 yards.
    Dont expect to shoot this at a 50 yard target and see any hits.
    When you look at one ought buck and you see it's close to 7.62 doesn't that ring a bell.These are also perfect to load I a 30/30 rifle shell over a couple grains of fast shotshell powder. A dab of grease like crisco or any bullet lube and you have a short range plinking load good to maybe 25 yards and certainly anything closer. And it works the same for any .30 caliber like a 308, 30/06 , 0r .303.
    The loader merely has to wedge the ball in the case neck, or put a dimple above and below the ball with a nail or punch to keep the ball from falling into the case.Same for cartridge cases in a revolver.
    There's no end to the experiments of reloaders
    I have been shooting round ball out of a centerfire rifle since my boy scout leader showed it to us teaching us about reloading when I was 11 or 12 years old.
    Remember: Always be Prepared.Target Covid and its effects.
    Last edited by Alferd Packer; 05-15-2021 at 03:28 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    .310" ball from Hornady

One of a half dozen loads tested:

They all worked and inside 25-30 yards would smack the average critter well enough to get the job done.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123