Lee PrecisionLoad DataWidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ".32 Ideal" Cartridge? (Low Wall)

Boolit Buddy

".32 Ideal" Cartridge? (Low Wall)

There is an auction coming up nearby that has a Winchester Low Wall listed. They say the caliber is ".32 Ideal", which is a new one on me.
    I looked in my copy of Madis' Winchester book and found it in the list of cartridges for the single shot (standard length- 28"; standard weight- #1), but that was all I found.

Does anyone here know anything about the .32 Ideal?

Edit:
    I found it in my "Cartridges of the World" from a couple of editions back. Still not much info, but more than I had. Nothing about what it can be made or formed from or anything like that.
    I might be able to decipher something from the dimensions table. A cursory glance is looking like I'd have to start with something already scarce and re-form.
    It looks interesting, but maybe a little more off the beaten path than even I usuallly stray.
    Last edited by BarryinIN; 04-08-2010 at 05:00 PM.

Boolit Master

Barry, try looking on the assra forum. I think I've seen it mentioned there, if not one of them might know something.
    Gun control 1ST ROUND ON TARGET.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks, I will check.

Boolit Bub
    The 32 Ideal, also called the 32-25-150 was introduced in 1920 for the Stevens 44 ,44 1/2 rifles, and other single shot rifles.

The 32 Ideal dates from way, way, w-a-y before 1920. It was a standard chambering in the Stevens tip-ups.

Bertram makes brass for it. Not cheap, though.

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/Brow...*670***9013***

Resp'y,
    Bob S.
    USN Distinguished Marksman No. O-067

It's REAL ... it's wood and steel!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dollar Bill View Post
    The 32 Ideal, also called the 32-25-150 was introduced in 1920 for the Stevens 44 ,44 1/2 rifles, and other single shot rifles.
    Thanks. That's about what my CotW says, but 1920 sounds awful late for that.
    Oh well, I guess it doesn't matter too much when it came out since I've pretty much decided I'll pass on it.

Edit: I see your post now, BobS. Thanks.
    $64 per 20 huh? You are right, that isn't cheap. But I'm also thinking about some of the work I've put into making other cases, and might have paid $64 for 20 before I was through.
    And 20 cases would last me a good long time in something like that.
    Maybe I'm not so ready to ditch this idea after all. I see they have all sorts of dies. I wish I could get into that auction early, and maybe find some dies and brass, but I have the feeling the previous owner was much more an accumulator than a shooter and it may never have been fired while in his possession.
    Last edited by BarryinIN; 04-09-2010 at 05:01 PM.

Boolit Master
    The .32 Ideal was developed by Reuben Harwood (Iron Ramrod) and the Stevens company so that shot out .32 rimfire and .32-20 rifles could be rebored and rechambered to a strong, solid-head, straight shell, which in blackpowder days was considered the most up-to-date design available. Stevens offered this reboring service for this and a number of other Stevens calibers. According to most sources, the .32 Ideal was too much of a compromise for its accuracy to be competitive with .32-35's and .32-40's, but nowadays, with the doctrine of small cases and smokeless powder at full loading densities, it might be worth a second look.

The proper bullet was the obsolete Ideal 32359, or, if you're lucky, the Perfection mould 32360.

Boolit Buddy
    Interesting.

But it looks like I'm not going to the auction. I don't really have time.
    I did drop a hint to my wife about it, hoping she might suggest I go on over, talking me into it. She didn't.
    "There's a gun auction up the road today".
    "I saw that, but I figured you didn't have any you wanted to sell."

Boolit Master
    Sounds like time to re-indoctrinate the wife. The proper response should have been..."I saw that, I figure you have some you need to buy"..................
    Been paddlin' upstream all my life, don't see no reason to turn around now.

Boolit Buddy
    To be fair...
    This conversation was in response to her asking what I planned on doing after my big job of the day, which was to move some things around the garage to get the mower out...for her to cut the grass with.
    In retrospect, that wasn't the best time to bring it up.

So I didn't get over there to the auction.
    The grass isn't cut either.

I hope the rifle went to someone who would put it to use and not just hang it on the wall.

Boolit Mold
    I'm working on a 32 Stevens Ideal but am at a loss for load data. If anyone has smokeless load data for a Stevens 44 I'd appreciate it.

Boolit Master

Around 40 years ago I was given about 50 loose .32 Ideal cartridges and sold them $1.00 each which was good money at the time. I had never seen any of those before or since. They are a straight walled case with a .32-20 size rim. I took one of them apart and found it was loaded with black powder and a plain based lead bullet with multiple grease grooves.

Ken

Boolit Master
    "Ammo Encyclopedia 2nd Edition" has a write up on the .32 Ideal cartridge including a dimensioned drawing and notes that may be useful in developing loads for it. 150 gr L-FN bullet listed at 1250fps MV/520lbs ME out of a 1-18" rifled 24" barrel and a claimed maximum range of 2650 Yards. It does mention two similar rim/base diameter cartridges that might be worth investigating for donor cases to make this one from.
    "The Handloader's Manual of Cartridge Conversins" on page 230 has Drawing, dimensions, and notes on Fireforming it from .32-20 WCF Brass.which yields a short but usable case. this listing also contains a Smokeless powder loading, supposedly from Barnes: 150gr bullet/12.0gr of 4198/1330fps.
    Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dogkinkead View Post
    I'm working on a 32 Stevens Ideal but am at a loss for load data. If anyone has smokeless load data for a Stevens 44 I'd appreciate it.
    Any progress on your project with the .32 Ideal?
    Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Boolit Master
    No update on this tread for nearly three months. Anyone have any updates?
    Have the Poster(s) with the .32 Ideal chambered rifles thought of using lower power and shorter similar cartridges for low power loads in their rifles?

Best Regards,
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 05-03-2015 at 05:43 PM.

Boolit Master
    The orig. poster's Low wall......no problem but, I'd be very careful with the smokeless loads in the Stevens 44.....for me I think that BP would be my choice.

Boolit Master
    .32 ideal rim dia..404 head dia. .350 case length 1.75

make it from 351 self loading. spin to .350 head dia. trim to length. turn rim down. size to hold .32 bullets fire form.

150 gr bullet 10 r. 2400

that is out of note's cartage conversions.

Boolit Buddy
    10 grains of H4227 with a 150 grain bullet would be a decent starting point. Might want to start with 8-9 grains if you are ultra conservative. I have a 44 1/2 coming and this is what the seller suggested.

Boolit Mold
    Sorry guys, been busy with other projects, duties and honey do's, haven't been on site for a while. I still have the Stevens and now have brass, bullets, and I think I have dies, somewhere, just haven't had time (or space) to put it all together. I'll probably start with the light 4198 load, maybe 9 or 10 grains.

Boolit Bub

I have seen one a long time ago, and due to the ammo I passed on it.

I would suggest either Black Powder or Black Powder, in a FFF granulation.

Black powder with a real BP lube is easy to clean, I clean my 45-90 with a brush soaked in a nasty cleaner, (We usually call it water unless being smart-a**es) , 3 strokes with the brush. Normally followed by 1 wet patch, 3 dry ones and the last patch with some real bp non drying, petroleum free grease. done!!
    Don't know why any one would want to put that nasty smokeless trash in a perfectly good rifle!

Good luck
    Dan

Smokless powder is just a passing fad and novelty that will never have any real world use anyway; we doubt it will ever catch on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast