Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
RepackboxLoad DataPBcastcoInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: Favorite Shotgun Powder

Favorite Shotgun Powder

I'm new to the shotgun reloading scene and was wondering what everyone's favorite powder is for 1 oz & 1-1/8oz target loads? Would Promo perform well for this application?

CLAYS, a real clean burner!

Boolit Master

I assume your talking 12Ga ... Clays is great, I like Red Dot too. Its not as clean as Clays but its not all that bad either. I go for which ever is cheaper and I have alot of Red Dot. I dont think you can go wrong with either.

Boolit Grand Master

Red Dot for me. Promo should do just fine.

Boolit Master

Promo works just fine and is the least expensive, runs about $10/lb in 8 lb kegs. I've burned a few kegs in the past couple years.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master

I load 7/8oz light target loads for my wife to shoot skeet, Clays all the way, amazingly clean even with light charges.

Boolit Master

promo is a little temp picky so If you use in cold weather need to keep shells warm.
    But as name implies it is not same from batch to batch.

Boolit Buddy
    Does DuPont still make 700x ?
    I have a 25lb. Keg around here. It is a bit low these days.
    I gave a friend a few pounds once and he used it for hunting ducks from our blind, [I was shooting clays with it at the time] and never considered it for a hunting load also. I got a new lesson in hunting over decoys. I load some pistol with it also.

Boolit Buddy
    There are several good powders I use. Clays, 700x, 800x, Green Dot, SR7625, SR4756, (my favorite), Blue Dot, and others. If you want tight patterns with 1 or 1 1/8 oz. in the 12, Green Dot is tops. Clays and 700x are the clean burners. 800x and SR 4756 for heavy loads, and Blue Dot for magnums. I load SR7625 for my treerat long range loads in RP hulls; they never know what hit them if you use premium shot.
    Shotshell loading is BY THE BOOK!!!!! Follow the recipe EXACTLY and you won't have any problems. I use a Mec loader; millions do also. Hope this helps. CB.
    If you want your children to follow in your footsteps, be careful where you walk.
    Beware the man that only owns one gun; he probably knows how to use it.
    Some things never change; others change more slowly.

Boolit Master

promo is a little temp picky so If you use in cold weather need to keep shells warm.
    I shoot sporting clays summer and winter in the Buffalo NY area and have never had a problem with Promo. I'd say half the guys at the club use it and I've never heard anyone comment on it being temp sensitive. If you leave your shells in the trunk of your car overnight in subzero weather you will get an occasional "blooper" no matter what powder you use.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master
    If you leave your shells in the trunk of your car overnight in subzero weather you will get an occasional "blooper" no matter what powder you use.
    Alliant Steel was designed to not be temp sensitive.. but then it's for loading ammo for when the weather is questionable in the first place (Waterfowl hunting), the temp can be quite low, and most sane ppl would be home in a warm house.. it is currently my favorite Hunting powder..

As for target loads, 700x is still available.. I've usually turned to Red Dot, Alliant Select, Green Dot, Promo, Titewad, Clays, Ramshot Comeptition, or Solo 1000 for my target loads..

For handicap or a bit more velocity I turn to Unique, Herco, HS6, Win Super field, Universal clays, or PB..

Green dot for me

Boolit Master

Red dot, federal paper hulls
    Awwwww, the wonderful smell

Boolit Master

My Dad and I have almost always used 700X for trap loads. I'll bet we've loaded close to 150 pounds of the stuff over the years. One Winter alone my Dad loaded a full ton of shot. But I guess that's why he and my uncles are in the ND Trap Shooters Hall of Fame. Love the smell of trap loads in the morning.

Boolit Grand Master
    It is becoming well known that any issues in cold weather (do you shoot trap at 0 degrees?) are addressed, primarily, with a hotter primer, as in the Federal 209A or CCI 209M.

As long as original pressures are in a reasonable range to begin with, and with 7/8 to 1 1/8 ounce levels they will be in a tapered case, then Promo has no cold weather issues whatsoever. Change the primer if need be, but this is an issue at temperatures that would drive most people in the clubhouse instead of at the 16 yard line.

Since the powder is the same base formulation as Red Dot (and Green Dot, Unique, etc.) any issues in cold weather are more a matter of rumor than actual fact. There is nothing inherent in it that makes it less "capable" in the cold. Issues have more to do with shotshells that were in the low range of pressures already (some 7/8 ounce loads primarily, but most are fine if a tapered case is used) and this is easily addressed with another selection of hull or wad. One and 1 1/8 ounce loads run at higher pressures and should have no issues.

Promo is 88 to 90 dollars an eight pound jug here, and my current lot throws the same weight using the same bushing size as Red Dot. A bushing either size of the nominal usually takes care of any charge weight per volume issues to cover lot production variances.

At Powder Valley, Red Dot runs at 103.90 per 8 lbs, Clays 116.00. Whether it is worth the extra cost is a matter of opinion when comparing the three powders.
    Last edited by 35remington; 07-15-2012 at 12:30 PM.

One overlooked and unmentioned powder that gives the performance of Green Dot but the cleanliness of Clays: American Select.

Boolit Buddy
    I'll throw in one SOLO1000 has a burn rate about like Bullseye and it does burn clean. +1 on the by the book method for loading shotshells. Good shooting.
    AggieEE