Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: new RANCH DOG mold casting small boolits???

Super Moderator

..............Might not be a bad idea to include a couple of the cast boolits with the mould when it goes back. That way they can positively SEE the results are wrong and 'off spec'.

Doesn't matter if it is a group buy or not. It met Lee's requirements and Lee's price was paid, same as buying one in a store. Richard Lee makes several statements about how their moulds are so precise in his reloading manual. He says they can guarentee a slug better then .001" of being perfect and .000" (nothing) to .003" oversize of print.

Definately send'em back if they don't cast correctly!

..................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

I got mine in the mail and will cast some in the morning hopefully and see what they are dropping out at and let you guys know the results. As already mentioned wouldnt it be better if we all sent them in together??
    [SIGPIC]http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m193/stevensavage/avatars/reloadnPalacescriptresized.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Boolit Master
    Guys i dont see how they can be sent back together.i sent molds all over the country,some to Canada,one to a dude down under and two went to Sweden.i didnt send mine back yet because something came up today but mine is going back in the morning.i also plan on calling Lee Precision in the morning too.like i said before we have spent alot of money on this mold deal($1900.00 for 36 molds)and i feel they can sort things out.i will tell them they can expect a bunch of them to be returned to be reworked or replaced.i will send some of my boolits along with my mold for them to look over.my boolits dont even measure up with 3 coats of alox on them.

by the way the guy in Austraila got his mold.he sent me a PM telling me thanks for taking care of him.he hasnt seen this thread yet but i expect he will once he reads my reply.

i will be nice on the phone but i will tell them there is a bunch of unhappy campers out there

Boolit Master
    Edmond, Oklahoma - that's N. of the Red River
    I got my mold today. It measures exactly .400 with an exact depth of .735

I don't figure to be doing any casting for the old fo-foty-fo.

Dave

Boolit Master
    Edmond, Oklahoma - that's N. of the Red River
    I got my mold today. It measures exactly .400 with an exact depth of .735

I don't figure to be doing any casting for the old fo-foty-fo.

Dave

Boolit Master

I got my mold today but didn't cast from it. When I opened the mold blocks I could see right away that it wasn't the Ranch Dog mold... close, but not what we ordered. It's under diameter and the nose is too wide... I can visually see that. After casting several thousand of these puppies it's kind of like knowing which black dog is yours. You just know... and I don't need to cast any samples.

Under diameter will not make this a high performance big-game bullet. The wider nose might generate some chambering concerns on individual rifles and the OAL would have to be adjusted.

Jeff, I still appreciate ALL that you have done with this buy. Don't let this get to you. It's just another day in the life of a fellow looking for a "silver bullet". I've got faith in Lee and I believe they will make it right.

It's been a heck of a day here at the ranch and I'm pooped. I will try to post some pictures of the differences between the molds after dinner.
    Michael

Boolit Buddy
    Jeff223, was there an order # for the RD mold to refer to. I am also going to send mine back. I have always had faith in LEE products, and don't plan on changing my mind on them. This will be reflected in the letter I send, along with some undersized cast boolits. As RD and others have stated, I believe respect and proof in the puddin' will be more beneficial than an all out rant and rave session. I will also send a diagram of said mold. Thanks for all your hard work ! I know this was out of your control. Thanks for any referenced mold #'s or order #'s. Jeff

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    It might be worthwhile to ask Lee, if they don't have time to do it right the first time, when will they find time to make it right the secound time?
    We went through something like that when I started working at my current job. There had been a guy there before me, who thought it was better to get things out fast, rather than right. I spent two months fixing returned rifles, that he had slammed together. After he left, we got a couple real rifle builders in the place, and we have had zero returned rifles, since. When they go out the door, they function 100% and are cosmetically sound. When a company has returns, they are in trouble. This takes out from production time, which translates into money out of the company coffers. How can Lee afford to let this go on?

Boolit Buddy
    I just got mine today and cast a few. They are undersized. I understand stuff happens. Do I need to call Lee before sending the mold to them? Do I just send it to the factory and mark it attention customer service and describe the problem? I will send a couple of bullets with the mould. They do cast faster with a six holer. I gotta find more wheel weights.
    I'm willing to feed the kitty to buy an extra to send to the guys in other countries. I feel sorry for them being stuck with an undersized mold. If someone will take charge of something like this, I will pledge $25.00 to help cover the costs.

Boolit Buddy
    RanchDog, when you sent your specs, for your various molds,were the diagrams of the specs for the cast bullet, or the cavity of the mold ? As we all know, the lead alloy bullet will shrink a smidge as it cools. I'm thinking maybe LEE cut the cavities of the molds to the .432" specs of the diagram, and that's why we are all getting undersized bullets. Just a thought.

Boolit Bub
    Is there any reason for me to even unwrap mine, or can I assume it is identical to all the rest? If it is undersized, I'll just send it back to Lee.

Boolit Master
    guys i will post the order number for you in the morning.i also have a letter made up and i will be sending my mold back tomorrow.

when you send a custom order in you are to print ATT:PAT on the order and thats what im going to do when i send my mold in.print it on the front of the box(ATT:PAT)

i also have a few of the boolits i made and i also have one of the boolits RANCH DOG made to send in to PAT so he can eye ball them.i am also going to print another spec sheet off for him to eye ball.maybe that will help.i dont know how he came up with this boolit over the regular RANCH DOG boolit???

i was really planning on blasting a deer with my new RANCH DOG boolits this year.i guess the FAT 44 boolit will have to do if that one measures up????time will tell????

maybe we should wait till we hear from the ones that bought the molds that live out of the country.maybe with alittle luck their molds will work for them.HOPE SO
    Last edited by jeff223; 07-13-2006 at 09:11 PM.

Boolit Master
    here is the spec sheet if any of you want to print it off and send it in too with your mold

Boolit Master

My guess is they are all cut the same.

cast-n-blast... the image above is bullet cast dimensions. Note the specified bullet diameter in the lower right corner of the drawing. Also remember that Lee's performance guarantee is with a 1 to 10 (tin/lead alloy). I've been told by Lee that the alloy is WW. What I don't get is the nose profile. What I'm seeing is a Wide Flat Nose vs. the Round Flat.
    Michael

Well guys.......You guessed it. I got some cast this evening and they are dropping out between .429 -.430 at the rear driving band although I do like that w i d e flat nose. They are to small for the bore of my Rossi.AARRGG!
    [SIGPIC]http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m193/stevensavage/avatars/reloadnPalacescriptresized.jpg[/SIGPIC]

It really looks like they did the order wrong. Wrong shape, wrong size equals wrong bullet.

Boolit Master
    Ok Guys
    I ordered the mould from jeff just like you all did,he got me the handles to go with it and a sizer die made by Buckshot,which by the way is very nice and sent it to me here in Australia,I have not had a chance to cast any yet,all my casting gear is at my camp over at work(Night time I do a bit of casting)although I have a small cast iron pot I could put on the gas stove and ladle some,but if one or two moulds are casting small,wouldn't it be all of them?
    What do I do with mine?,send it back to Lee in the US? I don't have the Lee box that the mould came in anymore,it went to the tip yesterday and it was damaged.
    I don't know if I have to get an export permit or what?.
    What a bugger,I'll try and make some bullets in the morning and see how they go,but I don't like my bloody chances
    Cheers
    Dale
    no34570

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by no34570
    Ok Guys
    I ordered the mould from jeff just like you all did,he got me the handles to go with it and a sizer die made by Buckshot,which by the way is very nice and sent it to me here in Australia. Cheers, Dale no34570

Everyone,

I think you guys are too forgiving. What in the hell is the $100 set up fee for if not to get the tooling and dimensions correct before runing the order. That should include a trial molding to get it right. If they are not going to run any quality control for the $100, then maybe we should ask how much it would cost to have them do it? Even in pure lead these things should be droping at least .4315.

Jeff,

Dale should not have to send his mold back. Lee should have to make an send new one and cover the costs for international orders.

Boolit Master
    my mold is now in the mail back the LEE PRECISION along with a letter explaining the trouble with the mold and the boolits it drops.i also encluded one of my boolits that i cast and one that RANCH DOG cast with one of his molds.i made it very clear what we wanted out of this mold and i also stated it would be better if the mold dropped the boolits out alittle bigger than what we need so we could size them down to what we need.

i also talked to a lady at LEE this morning about this and explained to her all the molds from this deal were shipped out to you guys here in the US,Canada ,Austraila and Sweden.she told me she would have Pat call me today some time on my cell phone so we could talk this over.i will let you all know what he says ASAP

if you send your molds in i would send them right to Pat.
    this is the order number 17825 and tell them you got the mold from me (Jeff Bowne)
    i would also state you would like your mold back sometime soon as we already waited over 90 days

later guys,
    jeff

Banned

Ditto on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Ackward
    Everyone,

I think you guys are too forgiving. What in the hell is the $100 set up fee for if not to get the tooling and dimensions correct before runing the order. That should include a trial molding to get it right. If they are not going to run any quality control for the $100, then maybe we should ask how much it would cost to have them do it? Even in pure lead these things should be droping at least .4315.

Jeff,

Dale should not have to send his mold back. Lee should have to make an send new one and cover the costs for international orders.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast